Voidloss Studio Sessions final beta stream

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Voidloss Studio Sessions final beta stream

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wassup Subsektivators.
Today I am doing my final beta stream to iron out the cracks before the real broadcasts. It will be public this time rather than just for gofundme donors.

Here is the link https://m.twitch.tv/blackmonolithstudio/profile

17:00 uk time

Feel free to pop in, I will be making techno today, and am happy to answer questions as I go.

Providing this goes well, I'll do a regular production session, and once a month I'll do a subsekt only production Q&A where I can demonstrate specific techniques requested by Subsekt members.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Voidloss Studio Sessions final beta stream

Post by Críoch »

Ah man.. good to see you & hear your voice again! 🙂

I'll be there @1700
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Steve is on. Really cool.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Yes yes! Popping in and out due to food etc. but very enjoying :D

splitcane
broke

Post by splitcane »

I missed the previous live sessions but this time was really entertaining and informative to watch. Thanks Steve for doing these sessions.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I have that flute sample melody I my head now.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Ha, nice! Got home from work, weekend, Subsekt back, Steve is on! Couldn't stay all the time as it was so sudden, but it looked like fun and informative the moments I dropped in. Just watched part of the try-out. Hope you get the clicks sorted...

Great stuff! Some new tricks, some reassuring things, signs I actually learned something along the way.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Got this open in a new tab and will take some time to consume. I love seeing others work, how they make decisions, etc. Watching has already cost me a Microtonic license ;).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. was gonna write that in the comments @the time. Sonic charge can expect a sales surge lol

I reset my pw to download my of copy during the vid. It's a great plug alright.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Looking forward to the next stream.

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Steve, a big ups from me on this project. It took me two day to consume this video while building a track at the same time.
Is there a link for the other videos btw?

One thing is you asked what people wanted to see from you. TBH, for me its about discovering things I didn't know or rediscovering things I forgot. Here is a short list for me.

- Using wind samples for a bass. That rhythm you got out of it was awesome btw. Resampling can't be underestimated and I'm going to be refocusing more energy on this since I noticed I'm getting way more organic sounding audio by doing so.
- Stacking notes on sampler midi to get a bit more high end out of the sound.
- Sampling youtube for drums from punching bags!
- Tuning samples with a synth note from another channel.
- Using the spread control on sampler...never noticed it there.
- Repeated riffs having a small note change every 1/2, 1, or 2 bars for variety.
- Reintro to Microtonic and a new introduction to Vibe-EQ. (I ended up using Vibe-EQ on my Rytm kick replacing a different method I was using to do something similar and Vibe-EQ won the match! ...workflow win)

For me it's about seeing another person's workflow. So much can be learned from just watching someone else do their work. If I was to make a suggestion it would be great to get your philosophy on properly mixing the track. How would you arrange the track you created? How do you go about mastering the track. These could all be combined into a single video potentially later in the series.

Sonarworks is golden for me with my HD650s because bass down to 10Hz becomes audible with the proper profile. However, the latency clicking is something I also get with Sonarworks sometimes as well. I usually kill it and restart the system wide app since it does introduce a bunch of latency. Also if you have a profile active and don't have the safe headroom button clicked it will clip and make that nasty click sound. Some of my issues are the combination of Sonarworks and using Overbridge with a bunch of Elektron gear all at once.

One last thing is the track you played early in the video was top notch. I went to your soundcloud but couldn't find it...would love to fav that and have a full listen as it sounded great.

Cheers.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

Thoroughly enjoyed that, watched the whole lot this evening on the couch. Really like your approach to production, work very similar myself. Itching to see more from you. Personally would love to see your take on automation and changing/ morphing elements over time.
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

When I'm on my studio headphones everytime the kick plays, the audio crackles a lot but I can't hear it on my laptop speakers (maybe it's there but I don't hear it.)

Anybody had the same issue?

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Just watched it - that was brilliant :D got really inspired and learned a lot of new stuff!

...also you have a very soothing voice - for some reason I always thought you would communicate in screams of victory :twisted:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

There will be another stream on friday at 17:00

I will be focusing on an intense attempt at starting and finishing a meat and two veg typical berghein-ey techno tune, think Truncate, Klok, and all that similar sounding tool techno stuff.
Hopefully it will cover all the usual techniques that get asked about this sort of stuff, so I want to get it out of the way quickly, and inspire people to dig a little bit deeper creatively.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 pm
I want to get it out of the way quickly, and inspire people to dig a little bit deeper creatively.
Amen.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 pm
There will be another stream on friday at 17:00

I will be focusing on an intense attempt at starting and finishing a meat and two veg typical berghein-ey techno tune, think Truncate, Klok, and all that similar sounding tool techno stuff.
Hopefully it will cover all the usual techniques that get asked about this sort of stuff, so I want to get it out of the way quickly, and inspire people to dig a little bit deeper creatively.
Sweet, looking forward to it. will it be public as well? Have no problem contributing if not as it’s quality content.
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Awesome tutorial thx alot!
Really like your voice too. And your straight to the point, love that
Looking forward to the tool techno one :twisted:

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Great video! Just consumed it over the last couple of days, but really appreciate that it is long enough to not be a quick overview.

Hope I can join the next.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Same as a few others here, I didn’t manage to contribute in time to the original fund but would happily now in order to get access from the get go.
Would this be a possibility?