MPC One

General Chat // Music Discussion
Kromasome
arsehole
MPC One

Post by Kromasome »

This looks like it could be interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzM38LNaBQU

youtu.be/zzM38LNaBQU

I like the idea of stand alone hardware, but using my Korg ESX-1 (the old one with no SD card) is a pain when I want to transfer my ideas into Ableton.

I've only just started looking at this thing, but hopefully there is a neat export option for Ableton (or any other DAW for that matter).

Kromasome
arsehole
Re: MPC One

Post by Kromasome »

Just heard in the video that it can export .als files and also stems. Handy.

I work on 2 x 24" monitors all day in my day job, and sometimes the thought of staring at another screen for a couple of hours in the evening didn't really excite me much (hence doing a lot more with my ESX last year). Having a convenient way to take the ideas further in the DAW is quite attractive to me (not that it's ground breaking these days, but something I don't currently have).

(yes, I realise it has a screen :D )

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The product no one asked for, an MPC Lite. I do not understand why this exists.

The screens on these things (MPC Live) are great, you don`t have to stare at them, the Q controls (on the Live) and the navigation buttons and pads can be all you need if you don`t want to look at the screen. The MPC live also runs inside Ableton if you want, with the MPC live software.
The only real issue with the MPC live is that it`s so fucking deep it can be a little overwhelming working out just how you want to use it.
I think this has more limited features so may be less intimidating for some.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

I know it's not as capable as the big boys of their MPC line up, but compared to what I currently have and given what I can reasonable afford these days, it seems like it might be a good fit for me. It looks plenty deep enough for me, given that it's still really just a hobby for me and not a profession.

I know if I had one of the big ones I'd also probably be wondering why they brought this out, but I think it can still provide some value somewhere in the market.

And as a company it could be part of their strategy by making this product a relatively accessible way for people to buy into their ecosystem, which they would then be hoping translates into upgrades for many people as they outgrow it.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

pity its just stereo outs but i suppose they need to rationalise somewhere.
the new mpcs are very good for onboard ram

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I think this looks fucking cool. Would be far better for a hw set up than an older MPC 1000 or 2500. Great value.

Especially with the CV side of things. It has a lot of functionality compared to the digitakt or even a beatstep pro / other standalone hw seqs.

What are these modern mpcs like for DIY repairs? I was always replacing tact switches on my 2500.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Kromasome wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 am
I know it's not as capable as the big boys of their MPC line up, but compared to what I currently have and given what I can reasonable afford these days, it seems like it might be a good fit for me. It looks plenty deep enough for me, given that it's still really just a hobby for me and not a profession.

I know if I had one of the big ones I'd also probably be wondering why they brought this out, but I think it can still provide some value somewhere in the market.

And as a company it could be part of their strategy by making this product a relatively accessible way for people to buy into their ecosystem, which they would then be hoping translates into upgrades for many people as they outgrow it.
It`s the same price as a used MPC live. Just buy a used MPC live, and then you get full functionality AND the battery power (and it lasts a long long time on a charge) allowing you the full power of a DAW (it has built in synths now as well) with complete portability.
One of the things that really has me happy with the MPC live (I bought one when they came out) is the update policy, they have added so much stuff to it, more effects, busses, groups, synths and drum machines. It`s bizarre more people don`t have them in techno land.
New Shit

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

The screens on these things (MPC Live) are great, you don`t have to stare at them, the Q controls (on the Live) and the navigation buttons and pads can be all you need if you don`t want to look at the screen. The MPC live also runs inside Ableton if you want, with the MPC live software.
The only real issue with the MPC live is that it`s so fucking deep it can be a little overwhelming working out just how you want to use it.
True Steve, by the same token great that it exists on the same ecosystem positive thing for current users as it cements some time of further development.

Also agreed no idea why more people haven't gone for these, crazy good machine and where it is now to where it started is a hell of a return on investment :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ross-alexander wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 pm

True Steve, by the same token great that it exists on the same ecosystem positive thing for current users as it cements some time of further development.

Also agreed no idea why more people haven't gone for these, crazy good machine and where it is now to where it started is a hell of a return on investment :)
They are ridiculously deep machines, so I think a lot of people don't realise how powerful they are. But also, the environment is quite open, you kind of mould it to how you want to work, and I understand a lot of people prefer limitations to working methods etc.
I can`t really think of a better bit of hardware for sequencing external synths in a very musical way. I guess the deluge comes close.
I can`t stand xox sequencing. It`s fine if you just make arpeggio monosynth techno, but once you get complex the X0X environment is backwards as fuck.
I still really haven`t plumbed the depth of my machine, I doubt I ever will as I really only use it for Live work, rather than making tunes.
Though I did make a lot of tunes on my most recent album on it, just to see what it`s like to make music entirely with hardware (just not fun for me, won`t be doing it again).
New Shit

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

How is the DAW integration with MPC Live? I really liked what Maschine brought to the table but the integration in the end made me switch off it.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

might have made it up.. but did I read somewhere that it can export to .als?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Yeah, pretty sure it says in the video (in the original post) that you can export .als files and stems.

But I'm interested in seeing how this works in practice.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Kromasome wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:38 am
Yeah, pretty sure it says in the video (in the original post) that you can export .als files and stems.

But I'm interested in seeing how this works in practice.
It's the same as the MPC live pretty much, so Als yes.
New Shit