Techno Gossip

General Chat // Music Discussion
chava
You only live once
Re: Techno Gossip

Post by chava »

borg wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:01 pm
wash that mouth with soap and water, man! Got a DJ Assault mix CD somewhere, loved the raw energy, but always wandered what misses Assault would think, and whether I should support such artists. You can't wave off every argument with 'just for laughs'.

Did like the 8th minute of that Kraviz show, though.

That Nash Point Horn is sick!!!! What a sound!
Anyone up for a Subsekt track challenge?
In my hometown DJ Assault was pretty popular among the women on the dancefloor back then. Maybe I should ask them why. AHH! Never mind, internalized misogyny it is.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

jordanneke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Even though they are both bad, I’m almost certain that many of the barbs which are directed at girls in an overwhelmingly boy sector is probably the first scenario.
Honestly, for me it's just a bunch of people who grew up in a scene where music was first 10 spots of importance seeing some new faces become famous for reasons that have nothing to do with music.
People are generally bad at expressing themselves. I'll give you an example: back in the day when someone wanted to be a DJ for the wrong reasons (ie. to be famous or loved or feel important) he/she would quickly end up dissuaded by the fact that you have to spend a year practicing the basics. It's much easier to pick up the guitar and learn the riffs to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to score some easy affection. With Sync in the equation that barrier is gone and a lot of fakes who didn't love the whole thing enough to give it a year of their lives are now suddenly in, taking space and doing what fakes do to get ahead. But even after 10 years of sync being around people who dislike it still can't articulate that they are upset that one of the things that was a gatekeeping mechanism for what they loved is gone, and will either rage or simply fumble in online discussions so they end up being label purists, ran over by time and whatnot.

My opinion is that people don't fume at Carl Cox for doing gimmicky stuff cause he can DJ a storm up. People don't fume at Rebekah, Paula Temple, Dasha Rush, Helena Hauff because they very obviously got there through music. If people sense a whiff of someone either getting to the top by paying for it, or through gimmicks like spellcasting during other people's music breaks, stirring shit up on purpose for free visibility or something similar to that - people will be quick to react negatively. I remember someone telling me about a new DJ they've signed to their roster and the first thing they told me about the person is that they are transgender. Because this is the internet I now have to put out a disclaimer that I have no issue with transgender people, I'm all for inclusivity, plus a slightly special treatment (cause god knows they go through shit in life), but if music isn't the first thing you are gonna be excited about when it comes to your new artist then something's off. I think a lot of people feel this way but can't articulate it and it often, when talking about female DJs, just comes out as "grrr, look at her" which you can basically paint any way you want.
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Lag wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm
People are generally bad at expressing themselves.
QFT and something to keep in mind for everyone.

Dasha Rush defended Vakula btw, or at least didn't jump on the outrage bandwagon.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The actual fucking music is generally the last consideration in anything to do with music these days.
It's abhorrent.

Sync buttons, instagram posing, paid press pieces, generated hype and controversy, pointless fucking format debates, "likes" counting, gender issues, politics, blah blah blah.

No wonder the music is so fucking tedious as a whole.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

The only thing I still can't understand... Why is a chubby, middle aged white women with glasses calling herself "The Black Madonna"?

Racist?

Btw: I just came back home from this year's episode of DESERTFEST. I saw great bands, cool people and literally EVERYONE was there because of the music. Just really cool vibes. I'm stoked again.

Steve, you just have to come over for next year. You'll absolutely like it, I'm pretty sure about that.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah man, I really want to, my missus mum came down with cancer during that time you invited me over, and our lives got very dramatic, so that ended up a fail.
I would love to do (fuck missed this year's) another one and meet up and share some beers.

I'm actually coming to Berlin some time this year for a mates wedding so I might make an extended stay, maybe we can meet up then.
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mono-xID wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:35 am
The only thing I still can't understand... Why is a chubby, middle aged white women with glasses calling herself "The Black Madonna"?

Racist?
She is obviously pre operation trans racial.

Omg you are such a trans-phobe. I’m reporting you to the social justice warrior police. You bigot. You are worse than pal pot and Stalin combined in a civil partnership.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

She is the worst Madonna Lookalike ever.
Not black and looks nothing like Madonna.
How does she get work?
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lag wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Whenever I said Pacou couldn't beatmatch for shit after listening to him no one ever batted an eye. When I once publicly said I had a problem with Nina trainwrecking every transition - I literally got called not only sexist but alt-right! Honestly, fuck that attitude. It's toxic, it paints everything in red, removes nuance, kills dialogue, gives actual bad people cue cards on how to camouflage themselves not to get picked out, and it creates a system where people whose mind you actually can change - are simply labeled "evil" and forever outcast. This isn't only a dance-scene phenomenon but a global problem in communication and if we don't talk about this shit - the tribalism, the echo-chambers and the radicalization of world views will only become stronger and thus more divisive and corrosive.
Yup, it's extremely destructive and harmful to label people like that. Basically I lost all hope inhumanity these days. Before a part of me wanted us to evolve, not anymore. It's fucking crazy how easily people throw shit at others believing they are on the winning side, trying to score in goodie-do-good medals and show their fake personality friends.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

As annoying as different scenes getting the same "Techno" label may be, human civilization has never been in a better condition. The fact the subject of this thread causes such a fuss is proof of that. Global poverty has never been so low, people are catching up. Sure, lots of work to be done, air and water need to be sorted out...
What the heck! Fuckers, the lot of them! So what? Throughout music history, many of the underground sounds have been picked up by the industry. Punk, new wave, new beat, techno,... Most underground scenes seem to survive longer than the commercialized version. This EDM fuckery looks more like a stayer, though. Well, we should revel in our uniqueness and the thought that this EDM - as most pop music, and classical - caters to the normal western brain. There is a harmony that can be found in many things, other than music, as well. Liking more off the beaten path music means your brain isn't wired as the majority, either by nature, stimulation or both. I don't mind the bad music so much (there is enough of the good stuff), the influencing through social media is so sickening. Football, anyone? What a joke that has become!
It's not just in popular music/media. I see it here in our theatre as well. Quality has gone down, but media machines are huffin' and puffin'. Young artists lacking depth and vision. That's most worrying to me. Artists in their young twenties... It's different than 10-15 years ago.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 am
Yeah man, I really want to, my missus mum came down with cancer during that time you invited me over, and our lives got very dramatic, so that ended up a fail.
I would love to do (fuck missed this year's) another one and meet up and share some beers.

I'm actually coming to Berlin some time this year for a mates wedding so I might make an extended stay, maybe we can meet up then.
Yeah man,whenever.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. We'll have some dark times ahead as well as my parents in law getting really old now.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

jordanneke wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:09 am
Mono-xID wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:35 am

Racist?
She is obviously pre operation trans racial.

Omg you are such a trans-phobe. I’m reporting you to the social justice warrior police. You bigot. You are worse than pal pot and Stalin combined in a civil partnership.
I'll just leave this here for the SJW's....

youtu.be/Q8egDa03GR0

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:57 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 am

Yeah man,whenever.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. We'll have some dark times ahead as well as my parents in law getting really old now.
Ah this came out of nowhere. Just BAM! Pancreatic cancer, which is generally terminal. She refused any treatment other than palliative care too, so she went really quick, from diagnosis to her passing was about 2 months.
There was no time to prepare really, it completely demolished my missus, she ended up going to grief counselling as she had a ton of unresolved stuff with her mum.
I ended up pretty fucked up as it brought me back to my dad, who passed away in similar fashion a few years back. Doc said he had about 3 months to live, so I said "right then, fuck life for a while, I'm moving back home to spend time with my dad before he goes". We planned all this stuff to do together, I was organising a flight In a spitfire for him, as he flew planes and always wanted to fly a spitfire, but two weeks later he died....

Cancer is fucking savage.
Fuck cancer.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

That's hard,i know.

My brother died of a heart attack. Just out of nowhere a person you know all your life is gone from one minute to another. I had hard times to really figure this out.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Grief is physical.

I've experienced a lot of death in my life.
When I was young my best mate died of cancer (aged 9) and we really were inseparable. It really really fucked me up and my parents didn't handle it well, so I never really understood what the fuck was happening to me. Then over the next few years basically the whole of my mum's side of the family, a big East end cockney family, all died of various conditions. Like literally over the span of 4 or 5 years, this big family was just decimated. My mum completely lost the plot, and I was still young and none of it made any sense to me, everything was just death and suffering. All my relatives were just that. The dead and the dying.
Then my close friend committed suicide when we were both 19, he had a nervous breakdown (basically because his parents were threatening to pull him back to Barhain to force him back into Islam) got sectioned, escaped, came and told me he loved me, then fucked off whilst I was trying to help him, wouldn't answer his phone, we kicked the door down to his flat the next day as noone knew where he was so he had to be there, and there he was, hung himself, needless to say I handle that very well and went right off the rails (I was in my band at that point, and we were already pretty fucking nuts, but I went legendarily off the rails), once the band finished, and I had moved on to the soundystem life, another close close friend, almost a brother, from my Soundsystem (we both joined/were sworn in to the collective at the same time, and had become really close) died of cancer on NYE 2001.
Then 5 years later, both in the same year, 2 friends from my new collective that I was doing clubs nights with in Brighton, died, one from a rare heart condition, totally out of the blue, the other from cancer, just after she married her new wife.
Then my dad died suddenly, after a long struggle with depression, post retirement, which led to alcoholism, which he got over... And then died of cancer.
Then about 4 years ago, one of my old collective got out of prison after a fairly long stretch, had a daughter, fell in to depression and fucking killed himself. At this point there are hardly any of us left.
I'm just hanging in because I am a contrarian.
I have serious attachment issues from losing so many friends. If people get too close to me I freak out and distance myself which has been a problem over the last decade, as I think all my mates are going to die, but they think I'm just a reclusive antisocial cunt.

Anyway, one of the things I noticed was the physicality of grief. Not just the psychological/emotional pain, but the actual physical pain that serious grief gives you.
Like someone has torn a piece of you out.
And it can literally knock you to the floor.
Grief kills some people. (During the "everyone is going to die now" period of my youth, my uncle died of grief when his wife died, he just... Gave up living, he loved her so much).
Anyway, I started doing research into grief, and the reason it hurts is because you do literally get damaged physically, apart from the general stress it places on your body, when you get to know someone very well, you form extremely well established neural paths in your brain. Effectively that person has a place in your mind, physically, and is represented by these neural pathways, not just memories but actual pathways that dictate your responses to this person, how you accommodate them as an entity and so on....
When that person dies, these active neural pathways atrophy. They are no longer stimulated and used by the presence of this person. So a part of you literally dies. Which is exactly what grief feels like.

It manifests in different ways of cause, but there is always this feeling of having the ground pulled out from under you, of suddenly having something ripped away. There is no way to figure it out really. It's just pain, but not one we can really stick a band aid over. Time is literally the only healer.

Lovely conversation.. hahaha.

Time to go make some Goth music.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:53 pm
But a thousand times more meaningful than the latest teckknogozziptrash....

Yeah, sometimes life just sucks....

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Grief is physical.
Kudos for sharing a harrowing storyline. Just want to say I agree with your headline. I think more and more research point to this exactly. There's no real neurological difference between physical pain, grief, depression and so on. It works the same way. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Grief is physical.

I've experienced a lot of death in my life.
When I was young my best mate died of cancer (aged 9) and we really were inseparable. It really really fucked me up and my parents didn't handle it well, so I never really understood what the fuck was happening to me. Then over the next few years basically the whole of my mum's side of the family, a big East end cockney family, all died of various conditions. Like literally over the span of 4 or 5 years, this big family was just decimated. My mum completely lost the plot, and I was still young and none of it made any sense to me, everything was just death and suffering. All my relatives were just that. The dead and the dying.
Then my close friend committed suicide when we were both 19, he had a nervous breakdown (basically because his parents were threatening to pull him back to Barhain to force him back into Islam) got sectioned, escaped, came and told me he loved me, then fucked off whilst I was trying to help him, wouldn't answer his phone, we kicked the door down to his flat the next day as noone knew where he was so he had to be there, and there he was, hung himself, needless to say I handle that very well and went right off the rails (I was in my band at that point, and we were already pretty fucking nuts, but I went legendarily off the rails), once the band finished, and I had moved on to the soundystem life, another close close friend, almost a brother, from my Soundsystem (we both joined/were sworn in to the collective at the same time, and had become really close) died of cancer on NYE 2001.
Then 5 years later, both in the same year, 2 friends from my new collective that I was doing clubs nights with in Brighton, died, one from a rare heart condition, totally out of the blue, the other from cancer, just after she married her new wife.
Then my dad died suddenly, after a long struggle with depression, post retirement, which led to alcoholism, which he got over... And then died of cancer.
Then about 4 years ago, one of my old collective got out of prison after a fairly long stretch, had a daughter, fell in to depression and fucking killed himself. At this point there are hardly any of us left.
I'm just hanging in because I am a contrarian.
I have serious attachment issues from losing so many friends. If people get too close to me I freak out and distance myself which has been a problem over the last decade, as I think all my mates are going to die, but they think I'm just a reclusive antisocial cunt.

Anyway, one of the things I noticed was the physicality of grief. Not just the psychological/emotional pain, but the actual physical pain that serious grief gives you.
Like someone has torn a piece of you out.
And it can literally knock you to the floor.
Grief kills some people. (During the "everyone is going to die now" period of my youth, my uncle died of grief when his wife died, he just... Gave up living, he loved her so much).
Anyway, I started doing research into grief, and the reason it hurts is because you do literally get damaged physically, apart from the general stress it places on your body, when you get to know someone very well, you form extremely well established neural paths in your brain. Effectively that person has a place in your mind, physically, and is represented by these neural pathways, not just memories but actual pathways that dictate your responses to this person, how you accommodate them as an entity and so on....
When that person dies, these active neural pathways atrophy. They are no longer stimulated and used by the presence of this person. So a part of you literally dies. Which is exactly what grief feels like.

It manifests in different ways of cause, but there is always this feeling of having the ground pulled out from under you, of suddenly having something ripped away. There is no way to figure it out really. It's just pain, but not one we can really stick a band aid over. Time is literally the only healer.

Time to go make some Goth music.
Fucking Marla Singer

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Hahahahahahahahahaha
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.