***Subsekt: The Label -- The Discussion***

General Chat // Music Discussion
intrusav
Rolf Harris
Re: Subsekt: The Label -- The Discussion

Post by intrusav »

Yeah, was thinking a release once a month and an end of year compilation. That would be cool. It would also be class if there were remixes that were kept in-house, like member collabs.
Just wondering how the release schedule would be worked out, as in how the sequence is worked? ..

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

we could make CD's / USB with T-shirts and calco's of the label :D
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

Do it. I'm with a digital distributor for my label and they're quite OK (digdis). Only 1 euro per track for an ISRC code and your release is scattered all over the world. I'm in love with vinyl, but because of the costs (I like the crowdfunding idea btw) a Bandcamp exclusive release via branded USB stick could be more interesting, as DJ's can stick it right up their...CDJ's :)

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

Definatly a great thing, and totally makes sense for this forum here. I like the no genre restrictions thingy, this way it can reflect the diversity of this community.

Format wise, I'd think digital is fine. We can always do some special editions on Vinyl/USB/CD/Tape/Floppy Disk/Whatever/- The more important question is the frequency and size of the release. I wouldn't do every month a release, seems too frequent. Something like every 3 months would make more sense to me. The next question then is, do we want to do EP format with 3-4 Tracks or bigger releases? Bigger releases might be cool to involve the community a bit more, maybe with 6 Original tracks and 3 remixes from forum members or something along those lines.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No multiple remixes I say (bit of a buttport techno cliche)
Minimum 6 releases per year.
No compilations.
Ep's or mini albums.
Focus on showcasing the artist.

I'm inclined to say no remixes at all, or Artist release followed a month later by Subsekt community remix EP, competition for best/most interesting remixes, keep it down to 4 remixes.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'm not against vinyl, but I think we should think very carefully before doing it, as it is a dead medium and is a money pit with no breakeven, at least it shouldn't be the main outlet for the label if we decide to go there.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Btw just my personal opinion but I think 6 releases a year is already enough. In any case, there needs to be a hard limit to the number of releases a year and someone that has the authority to say no, otherwise my experience with these things is that everyone wants to have a go and if nobody says no, that's how these buttport labels with a new release every week happen. In that sense vinyl has the obvious advantage that there's a hard limit to many you can pump out and if there's money on the line, people will take quality control more seriously.

Maybe tapes? Not a huge financial investment and can be made in small numbers and on demand if there's need for more. I think they'd also be cool because they signal that it's not a DJ-tool label, probably resulting in less standard techno submission and more variety.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:47 pm
Btw just my personal opinion but I think 6 releases a year is already enough. In any case, there needs to be a hard limit to the number of releases a year and someone that has the authority to say no, otherwise my experience with these things is that everyone wants to have a go and if nobody says no, that's how these buttport labels with a new release every week happen. In that sense vinyl has the obvious advantage that there's a hard limit to many you can pump out and if there's money on the line, people will take quality control more seriously.

Maybe tapes? Not a huge financial investment and can be made in small numbers and on demand if there's need for more. I think they'd also be cool because they signal that it's not a DJ-tool label, probably resulting in less standard techno submission and more variety.
Format will have absolutely no deciding on the quality control of the Subsekt label. We will keep standard high as a basic rule of the label.
Quality control is quality control, having disposable cash to press vinyl means nothing in quality control terms. Plenty of shit on vinyl out there.
The label won`t be open submission, it will be for the community only, so I don`t think we have to worry about submission variety, I personally don`t think it should be DJ Tool releases in any way whatsoever, there is no longevity in tools, they are treated like junk food.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I¬m going to clean up this forum a bit, non label discussion is distracting, and this is important, don`t need derails in here, want to get this all ground out so we can get going on it.
New Shit

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Agree with the no remixes policy. Remixes suck. Always.

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

With regards to formats, as a potential punter - I genuinely love vinyl, but I buy stuff on it pretty infrequently as it's silly expensive. Stuff on Bandcamp though I'm pretty carefree with. I'd be likely to buy every (digital) release on Bandcamp, on vinyl maybe not. Doubt I'm the only one. Not saying don't ever put a record out, but am saying it's not necessary. Physical stuff can be cool though, someone mentioned USB sticks and t-shirts, definitely of interest, but I'd suggest checking out Axis records where they do cool stuff like tire irons (joke). But seriously, maybe small amounts of limited stuff available for each release, but change what the 'stuff' is every time to keep it interesting.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah as long as it's a good artistic addition and not a cash grab we can do shirts or nice art prints or whatever.
Initially I think release digitally regardless, if physical ends up being a destination I think work up to it after establishing the label.
Playing with different formats could be fun.

I've actually been enjoying doing mastering work for cassette, you can get a great sound out of it, if you work with an amenable plant who are willing to drive the levels to your spec.

We could also do 7inch stuff.

I mean really we need to know who wants to be involved.
New Shit

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I could possibly help out with artwork.
Can upload some stuff and pm you a link.
Might be useful, might not. Either way, it'd be good to be able to contribute in some way ..

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

intrusav wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 am
I could possibly help out with artwork.
Can upload some stuff and pm you a link.
Might be useful, might not. Either way, it'd be good to be able to contribute in some way ..
We'll need artwork submissions, and a mixture of variety as well.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

This really sounds like a great project.

I'm more than happy to devote some time to help (and cash), but I'm afraid my skills maybe limited at best.

I think that people with the most objective and experienced ears should be the quality control ie our resident professionals.. Not something that everyone has a say in.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

jordanneke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 am
This really sounds like a great project.

I'm more than happy to devote some time to help (and cash), but I'm afraid my skills maybe limited at best.

I think that people with the most objective and experienced ears should be the quality control ie our resident professionals.. Not something that everyone has a say in.
Agreed. I think lots of people want to participate but you folk with the label running experience need to list out stuff we commoners could do so we all know who does what. If there even is work for 50+ people to start a label :D
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

dont know if i can help but im happy to spend some time on it

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Lots of positivity & good ideas in here Guys. Great to see real talk from mature people.

This will be good.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

It would actually be a very positive thing to get away from the current negativism about most music that’s released nowadays by doing this.
I'm sure it will be executed properly with the current vibe on this forum.
Quality output without the strategy to earn money. It's just what music is all about.
It will be a good no nonsense, 100% about the music label… .

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Full support! And if I can be a helping hand in any ways, then I would love to <3