What next?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lynx
Face Hugger
Re: What next?

Post by Lynx »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Lynx wrote:
I'd love to see that book Steve if you can find the link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-2-0-Fut ... 1845539389
Appreciated.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Well, I'm just starting out releasing music, but I haven't come close to making back what I put into my EP (in terms of plugins I bought and the cost of mastering). That doesn't bother me, though, because I had no illusions. I'm doing it because it's a life goal and I feel like I have something to say, musically, and hopefully some people like it. I think those are realizable ambitions. Making bank is not.

(I used to DJ and made decent money, back in the vinyl days. But no clue if that would pay the bills now (given that the bills are much higher). Plus I'm tired by midnight. :P)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Send your tracks to some DJ's, Merah, see if anyone starts playing them and get your name on some tracklistings. I'm coming at the genre from a slightly different angle to you, but I've found some other like minded people to connect with via Soundcloud and thats opening a few doors for me. The whole Autonomic thing hasn't really taken over, so you should be able to find some smaller labels or DJ's bubbling under who are probably very open to new artists. I think the key to this is to be respectful and not be all, "yo, check out my tracks", start a conversation and be polite.

BTW: An observation I have had about DnB, with the whole dubplate culture, is that making tracks public before release on Soundcloud can be frowned upon.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

I go along with Lynx's point that there should be a natural symbiosis between what you create and the work you put in and the payment you receive, but it may well not be monetary.
Last edited by Merah on Thu May 05, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Lost to the Void wrote:
My mate wrote a pretty cool book about it that got published a while back, stuff about long tail sales and income avenues in respect to music, he interviewed me about how I have navigated it all, along with lots of other musicians. He`s a professor who deals a lot with what they call Music 2.0

I`ll have to find the link.
Will take a look at this.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Planar wrote:Send your tracks to some DJ's, Merah, see if anyone starts playing them and get your name on some tracklistings. I'm coming at the genre from a slightly different angle to you, but I've found some other like minded people to connect with via Soundcloud and thats opening a few doors for me. The whole Autonomic thing hasn't really taken over, so you should be able to find some smaller labels or DJ's bubbling under who are probably very open to new artists. I think the key to this is to be respectful and not be all, "yo, check out my tracks", start a conversation and be polite.

BTW: An observation I have had about DnB, with the whole dubplate culture, is that making tracks public before release on Soundcloud can be frowned upon.
This is the rough plan now, once I've finished a few more tracks I'm going to start sending them out. Interesting point about not uploading to sound cloud before contact.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

You can upload them, but keep them private. You may find a label or DJ who doesn't care, but I've read more than one person I respect saying they won't entertain tracks that have been available to listen to before being signed/released.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I would rather not compromise my artistic integrity and make music based on what I am thinking and feeling.

I have absolutely no issue with people "selling out" if you are able to make a career from making music then awesome but I know of plenty of people who make music full time and have to make music they fucking hate.

My point stands, if you can make something that you enjoy for yourself, not geared or tailored towards a sound/ label/ market and people like it, enjoy it, want to buy it and release it then that is the best case scenario. I take so much more from making music than money could ever compete with.