Music recognition software installed inside clubs/royalties

General Chat // Music Discussion
gabe DM
refusenik
Music recognition software installed inside clubs/royalties

Post by gabe DM »

this is the link to the BBC website and the article.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32551856

clearly it's still not very usefull since it's not installed in every club and, as they say, it only recognizes few tracks but I guess the technology will evolve and will recognize also smaller releases.

I do think it's good if some of the revenues from playing someone music in public will get back to the artist (and the label if they invested) really I do think those are the money I, as a producer, will want, those and those from any sync better then the money for private streamings or downloads.
I also think this is a sign of the electronic music becoming more important for the music business and for the collecting societies.

what you think?
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

Monreal
You only live once
Re: Music recognition software installed inside clubs/royalt

Post by Monreal »

It's not actually related to the subject but AFAIK some DJs have some sort of software that sends track ids to their Twitter live.

Like this:
https://twitter.com/rhawtin_live

Maybe they can implement that software to the clubs.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

you're right, I've seen Hawting using it.
Gabe DM

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

This is a music industry grabbing at straws.
We don't need more copyrite laws in this world, it's already getting stupid.
And we certainly don't need more runs and restrictions in club land.
This is prs stuff but the money will end up in the hands of big artists and big labels and not people like us anyway.
I don't support it at all.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I think even radio plays are not accurately tracked. As far as I know, the payout is based on sample listings of tracks played so if a track gets airplay, it's not necessarily going to generate a royalty. In this day and age, you would expect it to be very accurate at that level but, if this is the case, I don't see club playlists having much of an impact ..

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Void is right. We need to move forward. Music stagnated in some ways in the 20th century until electronic music began to reach maturity and it triggered the 80s and 90s scene.

But since time seems to be accelerating, it took way less long for electronic music (as is) to do the same thing.

Good news is that since time is accelerating, we can quickly set things right again rather than it taking a long time.

This time we are probably looking to black boxed software systems to remedy things. Tools so easy to use you just plug and play, no real technical expertise needed.

Everything is going to start converging - acoustic and electronic sound sources, graphics, motion and gesture, everything that might be considered "art" but is also modern.

Maybe then we will find a deeper understanding of what art is meant to be culminating towards.

At the Hawting CNTRL tour Pioneer sponsored a promo for that music app, Kuvo. It seemed silly.

The older generations will always struggle to understand what younger generations are inventing to set things right, move things forward, etc., because they wouldn't have been able to invent those things themselves (and it bothers them).

There are Mozarts and there are Beethovens, and the world is ready for one at a time depending on if it's in the up or down cycle of the sine wave.

You couldn't be a Mozart after Mozart, the world was ready for something new by then.

The music/art world is itching for a Beethoven, and apps like Kuvo are a Mozart after Mozart.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:This is a music industry grabbing at straws.
We don't need more copyrite laws in this world, it's already getting stupid.
And we certainly don't need more runs and restrictions in club land.
This is prs stuff but the money will end up in the hands of big artists and big labels and not people like us anyway.
I don't support it at all.

^^^THIS^^^

There's so many pitfalls with negative impact it's unreal

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

They do try this every few years, the last thing was about putting pressure on clubs to provide playlists and introducing a DJ license fee.

It`s all crap.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Finally, the best case I've heard for anonymity in techno.

UNKNOWN ARTIST - Untitled.

Bring it on.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

ONE wrote:Finally, the best case I've heard for anonymity in techno.

UNKNOWN ARTIST - Untitled.

Bring it on.

Artist-Title(muzofon.com).mp3

oops :|

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Lost to the Void wrote:They do try this every few years, the last thing was about putting pressure on clubs to provide playlists and introducing a DJ license fee.

It`s all crap.
this should happen already under the venues PRS licence. Someone, i can't remember if it's the promoter or the venue licensee is meant to provide a playlist of the tracks played and a small percentage of the door is to be given to the PRS so they can distribute to the songwriters. maybe they differentiate between music performed live and recorded music that is played. it doesn't happen though.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

I agree with you on the fact that collecting societies are alway chasing tecnology whilst they should come out with a serious tactic and focus on it but ppl, I don't know what is wrong with you, what if I produce a couple of eps every years and get a small amount of money form pubnot even from pressing our own vinyl.
so if anyone exploits our creations we should be compensated.
I don't care if regular listeners download my music for free, I am cool with that, but if someone exploit it for ppl to dance to their sets or ppl to drink at their bars then I think I can have a share of that income.

I know Steve, in Italy since few years they introduced a patent for djs... actually few of my friends have subscribed it, most have not.
Gabe DM

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well, there are already too many restrictions, within the EU, coming down on clubs.
We have seen a lot of good clubs go bye bye the last few years, and overheads are tight.
I don`t think more regulations are going to help.

Really, if you truly feel you should be getting more money for your music, then campaigning in this area is a waste of time.
How about campaigning for better percentages from vendors, for example.

Beatport, for example, offer an almost old school music industry model of artist payment, in that the artist gets the shit end of the stick.
I campaigned against this pretty much as soon as their policy changed years ago, but no one listened because all they wanted was to get in to the beatport charts.

How about boycotting beatport and pushing something like bandcamp as a main music sale revenue source because they treat artists fairly?

That will put far more pennies in your pocket than the PRS who have NEVER historically done anything for the little man, and I can`t see that changing by putting more regulations in to clubland.
New Shit

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

I could see myself doing that, besides physical releases on good shops like Decks and Juno, stick with BandCamp and look for other ways to hype releases besides BP charts

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

Hey Steve, believe me I have bought maybe two tracks form Beatport years ago and stop right there. I have never supported it still I think it helped (or in the way maybe not) giving lots of attention to electronic music... but that's another discussion.
I do believe Bandcamp is the best platform right now for indie producers but what I am saying is different.
If we produce dance music its exploitation should be mainly in clubs and dancefloor so I think there must be some way to get credit (and I mean money) since the dj gets payed (hopefully) and the club owner is making some money as well. For example in Italy there is a paper called bordereau which has to be compiled by the band (or the dj) who's playing but in real life you rarely get to do it so there will be no actual record of your track being played. I know that at the end all the data collected form the collecting society is just averagely split between associates with the major share going to those artist who contribute more to the same society in terms of revenues (as to say old or extremely commercial songwriters). so the system isn't working, think for example that in Italy there is no possibilitiy to copiright a remix for example so if I do a remix and it goies pretty good in terms of airplay etc etc I will get no revenue from it.

dance music is intended for dancefloors and, besides our passion, we are talking about commercial exploitation, cause without it you don't have the party :)
Gabe DM