your gear lists

General Chat // Music Discussion
bergertron
site spammer
Re: your gear lists

Post by bergertron »

Laptop
novation - launchpad s, launch control +control XL, launch mini key, audiohub 2x4

Ableton 9

Old stuff -1210s, djm 600, roland 303 groovebox, kaos pad 1.

all stuff for mixing and producing

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

Software:
Pro Tools 10 and 11
Ableton live 9 Suite
NI Massive
NI Traktor Scratch Pro 2
NI Kontakt
Fabfilter Pro Q,L,C,Saturn
Sylenth1
Izotope Ozone 6
Waves Gold Bundle

Hardware:
Roland Sh-101
Roland TR-909
Willyzyx x0xb0x kit (built myself)
Eurorack modular
Korg Volca Keys
Mackie Onyx 1620i
Akai MPK49
2x Stanton ST-150 turntables
Allen & Heath xone 23
Traktor S4 (mk1)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:yeah I've seen and felt how plasticy the novation is when I've come across one in other people's studio's.
seeing the parameter value on screen is great though.

I can guarantee the access controllers look and feel wonderful, their build quality is superb.
but I bought mine when they were still affordable. I think I paid 200€ for mine, but that must have been more than 12 years ago.
No,no, no... I've heard they are shit. The pots feel like 30 grit sandpaper is lining them and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Paint flaking off, screw holes misaligned and the calibration is for shit. Nobody really wants them at all. Basically as good as a doorstop. Paint it red and you could call it a brick...
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

UN!T B wrote:
Hades wrote:yeah I've seen and felt how plasticy the novation is when I've come across one in other people's studio's.
seeing the parameter value on screen is great though.

I can guarantee the access controllers look and feel wonderful, their build quality is superb.
but I bought mine when they were still affordable. I think I paid 200€ for mine, but that must have been more than 12 years ago.
No,no, no... I've heard they are shit. The pots feel like 30 grit sandpaper is lining them and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Paint flaking off, screw holes misaligned and the calibration is for shit. Nobody really wants them at all. Basically as good as a doorstop. Paint it red and you could call it a brick...
:D
no prob, I'll just happily twiddle away on my piece of brick.
did I mention they did the black-with-small-blue-lines paintjob perfectly like you have it on all old Oberheims ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

priamm
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by priamm »

Ableton live 8. ( In 4 years old lenovo laptop )

Traktor s2 For the mixtapes.

Volca beats ( Love to jam live with it )

8 bit synthesiser powered with batteries.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

priamm wrote:Ableton live 8. ( In 4 years old lenovo laptop )

Traktor s2 For the mixtapes.

Volca beats ( Love to jam live with it )

8 bit synthesiser powered with batteries.
sounds like an effective setup!

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

I didn't post this for the longest while cause i think this topic is a bit shit. But i'm bored and wanted to scare myself, so i put this list together.

Eurorack

4ms Company Pingable Envelope Generator PEG: Dual envelope generator whose envelope lengths are set by incoming clocks or "pings"
4ms Company ROW POWER 40 40W of power, +12V@1.5A/-12V@1.25A/+5V@1.5A
Blue Lantern Modules CMOS Party 4hp Logic module 4hp cd4000 series based logic
Cwejman QMMF-4 Quad Resonator
Cwejman VCO-2RM Dual Oscillator
Dave Jones Design Jones O'Tool Oscilloscope color LCD oscilloscope and audio measurement tools
Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb
Happy Nerding FM AID FM AID is a module designed to perform through-zero linear Frequency Modulation (FM) in the analog modular world.
Innerclock Systems Sync-Gen IILS precision tempo-grid and sample-accurate modular synthesizer to daw synchronisation system
Intellijel Buff Mult buffered multiple
Intellijel Cylonix Shapeshifter Dual Complex Wavetable VCO
Intellijel Dual ADSR Dual ADSR
Intellijel LINIX Linear VCA
Intellijel Quadra Quad Envelope / Function Generator
Intellijel Quadra Expander Expander for the Quadra Module adds VC of AD, EOC and Analog OR
Intellijel Triatt Triple attenuator, inverter, attenuverter and DC voltage source
Make Noise Function Function generator
Make Noise MMG Single Channel Multi Mode Gate
Mutable instruments Ripples Liquid filter
Snazzy FX WOW AND FLUTTER WOW AND FLUTTER
Steady State Fate Positronic Transient Gate The PTG is a dual, Vactrol cored, Envelope Generator, Universal "Pass" Gate, Envelope Follower, VCA and Voltage Processor.
Steady State Fate Quantum Rainbow SSF Quantum Rainbow. White, Pink, Red, Blue, and Purple noise source. Two outputs per noise.
Synovatron CV Tools Voltage Processor
Synthesis Technology E560 Deflector Shield Frequency Shifter / Ring Modulator / Phase Shifter with wavetable modulation
Toppobrillo Triple Wave Folder Triple Wave Folder
hexinverter.net batteryACID Analogue Distortion/Compression

^^^^
That looks like a lot, it's probably better to think of it as one big synth.

Other

Midas F24 Desk
2x Alesis 3630 Compressor RMS/Peak Dual Channel
MFB Tanzbar Drum Machine
Eventide Space
Eventide Timefactor
BugBrand PT Delay
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Akai MPC4000
Waldorf Blofeld (Which I'm considering selling now I got the Motif)
Doepfer Dark Energy II (Which I'm looking to sell)
Alesis Q25 25-Note USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller
Macbook Pro
Sequentix Cirklon Sequencer with Breakout Box
Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO

And software... Ableton Live

plus a BCR2000 which is in the cupboard now but I'm planning to put it back into use.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

helloitsmeagain wrote:I

Midas F24 Desk
How do you like it? I've been toying around with the idea of getting a proper mixer, like one of those.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

helloitsmeagain
athlete

It depends on your style. If you jamming live and wanna get a single mixed down channel, go for it. The eq is awesome and it over drives beautifully. But beyond that, it's frustrating. The audio sent by channel is all pre-fader and pre-panning. So you can set up a gorgeous mix but it won't arrive in your DAw. Only that master channel has it.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

helloitsmeagain wrote: ^^^^
A €7000 synth though :D

helloitsmeagain
athlete

AxeD wrote:
helloitsmeagain wrote: ^^^^
A €7000 synth though :D
fuck dude, don't say shit like that out aloud. :cry: anyway, it was closer to 5.5K, i don't suffer UK tax.

It's easy to do that when you're buying it one small pice at a time. you don't even realise what's happening... but, yeah, the cwejman pieces were a hit, even by themselves.

in my defence, i don't drink or do drugs, drive a car or spend money on new clothes. I need something to spend my cash on. :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

helloitsmeagain wrote:It depends on your style. If you jamming live and wanna get a single mixed down channel, go for it. The eq is awesome and it over drives beautifully. But beyond that, it's frustrating. The audio sent by channel is all pre-fader and pre-panning. So you can set up a gorgeous mix but it won't arrive in your DAw. Only that master channel has it.
barfunkel doesn't use a DAW, right ?
so he would never have any of the trouble you describe.

I've been in love with my Midas since day one, I honestly couldn't miss it any more.
But I always record my clips one by one in Live, plus I don't use the FW part, so I never have any of the issues you describe.

if you got the cash barfunkel, I'd definitely go for the 24 version.
I have a lot of HW, so I bought the 32 one, but looking back, I would have been perfectly ok with the 24 version.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

helloitsmeagain wrote:It depends on your style. If you jamming live and wanna get a single mixed down channel, go for it. The eq is awesome and it over drives beautifully. But beyond that, it's frustrating. The audio sent by channel is all pre-fader and pre-panning. So you can set up a gorgeous mix but it won't arrive in your DAw. Only that master channel has it.

wow that seems like a massive omission on their part, why couldn't they have the option pre or post fader its not hard or cost much.... ???

I love Midas desks have used the older pre firewire models, great pre's and eq. I want one of the new ones too but lack the cash.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

I'd say leaving out the pre/post function on a desk like that saves quite a bit of money actually.

Get a fucking avatar

Post by 1200 »

Im using live 9 suite, a regular keyboard and mouse to draw everything. I have a apc40 and a couple other controllers but I hardly use them. I used the apc for mostly mixdown and transport to literally just start and stop the arrangement lol! I use a small collection of recorded drum machine samples to play with... I mostly just modulate the hell outta everything and mostly using stock sounds.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

Lots of cheap and old instruments:

Korg Poly 800
Roland MC-303
Roland TR 505
mfb 522
Yamaha tg77 ;)
Eko ritmo 20
E-mu Orbit
Akay MPC1000
Doepfer Dark Time
yamaha A3000
zoom h4n
some Boss pedals and one Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
Allen and Heat mixer but a shitty and crancky one

hope to get an Elektron or Jomox drum machine in the future but first I am going to get me a Novation Drumstation.
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

These threads always have everyone listing everything they have, but really for it to be a great thread it'd be just limited to what people get a lot of use out of. I'll try to do that:

Drums: I build kits for a Roland MV-8000 and build my own loops with it, recording them over to my DAW computer either in a single stereo file or a bunch of separate tracks that go together. I think it really helps me to be able to just concentrate on good loops and not worry about an entire track

Synths and Bass: Lots of action from my Alesis Andromeda but I am still afraid to let it run live in a sequence, as it can go a little haywire sometimes (it got banged pretty hard when it was being moved a few thousand kilometres...). I'll record it direct, or make a submix using the voice outputs and a submixer. Tends to sound better controlling itself (internal arpeggiator and sequencer) rather than being MIDI controlled from the DAW anyways.

I get some use out of a Korg Triton but I really had to go out of my way to get good patches and make my own.

For VSTs I don't tend to use them much but get some good sounds out of Sylenth, Massive and Omnisphere. About to try Serum and a pretty interesting new VST called Signal ( http://outputsounds.com/products/signal/ ) Again I think it'll be pretty bad for techno OOB but could be tweaked to get good arps a lot quicker than anything except maybe the Andy.

I use Ableton for DAW for techno since it's definitely the quickest workflow for the genre. Mixing through a Soundcraft Ghost, some hardware gets used a lot at this stage like some DBX 166 compressors, TC Electronic M-300 for reverb and delay, Digitech TSR-24 when I want some more unusual FX. I generally EQ on the board or with plugins (or both..).

Monitor on Adam A7 and Mackie HR-824s, check mix transfers (still poorly for techno..) on some KRK V4's. Headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M40 which are good workhorse phones.

Attempting to master with Ozone but I think I will leave it to proper mastering engineers once I save up the $ to do a run..

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Synths:
Waldorf Pulse
DSI Evolver
Jomox Mbrane
Jomox Mbase 11

Hardware FX:
Ensoniq DP/2
Yamaha D1500
Deltalab Effectron JR 1500
Roland DEP-5

Monitors:
Adam P11
Monacor MKA-40 (shit boxes to compare)

Audio interface:
Motu 828 MK3
Behringer ADA8000

Desk:
Mackie 1604

Control:
Doepfer Dark Time
Arturia Beatstep

DAW:
Ableton Live - for production
Logic Pro X - for mixing

VST:
mostly free
No Bass Lines For Me!

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Hey, I'm curious why you switch to Logic for mixing? I have Logic as well but mainly use it for rock

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

My gear list isn't super impressive, but I'm slowly building it up to glory. Once I get 1 or 2 more things I'll be in full on synth collecting mode (Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2 and MS20 Mini or MS20 rack kit is first on my 'real' synth list):

Event 20/20BAS V3 Monitors

Macbook Pro 2011 15" core i7 model

Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Keys
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotribe
Korg Monotron
Korg Monotron Delay
Aira TB-3

Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Boss/Roland RE-20 Space Echo Pedal