What are your thoughts on the buzzword 'EDM'?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Alume
Confetti
Re: What are your thoughts on the buzzword 'EDM'?

Post by Alume »

willemb wrote:Did you realise its supposed to be 16 pieces of music?
No way...

:lol: fuck

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

I remember when we just had EBM and then ETM (That was :shock:) , seems like an updated version of the name Dance music but made trendy.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I know EBM, but ETM???

Electronic titty music?

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Can't stand the word.
First artists that come to mind when I hear EDM is martin garrix, david guetta, avicii and so on..
I understand the definition of it - Electronic Dance Music which I think a lot of genres fall under like techno, house - whatever else that involves electronic...materials.
Today though, well for awhile now, the word EDM has been mainly focused around those shit artists I mentioned above. The first time I remember hearing that word resurface after years and years was when bro step was becoming a thing (I think there is a big difference between the dubstep you would hear coming out of England and the skrillex shit you would hear coming out of America).
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

Lost to the Void wrote:I know EBM, but ETM???

Electronic titty music?

ha ha I hope so . I dunno where I heard of it its probably not a thing it just rolled in one ear and out the other anyways
Electronic Techno Music

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

It's useful, because it shows you immediately when someone drops it in conversation that you have to save them with good music. It's totally like the Electronica term used in the 90s. Genres evolve in interesting ways.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

The term is ok, it's not worse than "techno" "jungle" or "drum'n'bass".

For the style itself i think we are all thinking the same thing!!
But at the end i don't care about that hype, i prefer to focus on what i like.

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Its shit and attempts to simplify something hugely diverse in a detracting manner.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

if I have to reply to OP's topic title in one sentence :

Americans trying to give a "unifying" name to something us Europeans have been loving for decades, but they (=the big crowd, not the underground) have only recently started to discover (no matter how big of a role Chicago and Detroit played over the years), and let's face it : it simply can't be all called the same "type"/"genre" of music. It's one louzy word if you ask me.

(and I apologize upfront to all the US subsekters ;) )
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

1nfinitezer0 wrote:It's useful, because it shows you immediately when someone drops it in conversation that you have to save them with good music. It's totally like the Electronica term used in the 90s. Genres evolve in interesting ways.
I've always liked the term 'Electronica'. In actual fact I think it's a better catch-all than 'Dance', which is increasingly inaccurate - not that it ever was totally on the money.

EDM? It actually doesn't bother me. Voidloss is right that it essentially just a term for a type of pop music. I'm more bothered by inaccurate and deliberately misleading genre names that try to claim some sort of authenticity. You know, like Deep House..:D

Way back when I were a lad I used to get annoyed by people who thought I listened to rave (meaning the happy hardcore that was so huge here at the time,) so I can understand if people get bugged about people saying EDM when they mean house or techno or whatever. At the end of the day, though, it's got fuck all to do with Our Thing. You know all know that. I know that. Couldn't care less if 'they' don't.

Mind you, it annoys the tits off me when someone like Whoretits?, who REALLLLLLLLY should know better uses it. But then, he's spent the last four or five years attempting to reinvent himself as EDM's cool older brother so balls to him.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Thumper wrote: I've always liked the term 'Electronica'. In actual fact I think it's a better catch-all than 'Dance', which is increasingly inaccurate - not that it ever was totally on the money.
Same here.

EDM? Absolutely shocking how this is banded about. But it's still better than 'IDM'.

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

Always disliked the IDM term too,made it seem like other styles were a result of dimwit falls on keyboard.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

mattie wrote:Always disliked the IDM term too,made it seem like other styles were a result of dimwit falls on keyboard.
Which they are, let's face it.

IDM put everyone in their place.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

I don't really keep up with the style that much but I can jam to some of that Skrillex Brostep stuff. Stone me now :twisted:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Thumper wrote:
1nfinitezer0 wrote:
Way back when I were a lad I used to get annoyed by people who thought I listened to rave (meaning the happy hardcore that was so huge here at the time,) so I can understand if people get bugged about people saying EDM when they mean house or techno or whatever. At the end of the day, though, it's got fuck all to do with Our Thing. You know all know that. I know that. Couldn't care less if 'they' don't.

when I was 16, people were or listening to "rock", or listening to "dance".
seriously, as if everything that played on the radio could be described with those 2 words... :lol:

but even nowadays, 2 decades later, can you really say to the "commoners" : "yeah I listen to/ make techno"
not really, cause what they will imagine when they hear the word "techno" will be miles away from what we do or listen to.

Things didn't change that much really, I guess you'll always have people who know what we're talking about, and then you'll have the guys who think techno is Moby or David Guetta.

Kolloid
tense

Post by Kolloid »

Hades wrote: but even nowadays, 2 decades later, can you really say to the "commoners" : "yeah I listen to/ make techno"
not really, cause what they will imagine when they hear the word "techno" will be miles away from what we do or listen to.
I'm always scared they'll type in 'techno' on youtube, stuff like this is always the first that comes up:

youtu.be/XME3qic1M3Q

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Kolloid wrote:
Hades wrote: but even nowadays, 2 decades later, can you really say to the "commoners" : "yeah I listen to/ make techno"
I'm always scared they'll type in 'techno' on youtube, stuff like this is always the first that comes up:

youtu.be/XME3qic1M3Q

godverdomme !

I only skipped through that shit for 10 seconds,
and I want that 10 seconds back ! :)

seriously though : terrible, just terrible...

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

The term Electronic Dance Music is harmless enough, it does what it's meant to do, grouping a number of genres which share similar traits. Music scholars adopted the term in the 90s to describe certain characters of sound to the wider music community without detailing the nuances of each genre.

The EDM version is just a load of American bollocks (sorry stateside Subsekters) but this is generally what they do, take something successful, dumb down, repack, resell. Plenty of examples in hollywood of successful European or Asian cinema which has gone through the same mincer.

I've not really paid any attention. Although funny enough that Ableton book has a line about EDM listing it's fundamental attribute as being predictable in structure and sound design. It points out that anything slightly left or right of this would be greeted with dumb-found WTF responses. Pretty much says it all.

America did give us House and Techno so I'll not be too hard.

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

It doesn't say that stuff about EDM, does it? Does it really? Hah! Brilliant!

The most 'interesting' aspect to EDM is the way it has resolutely avoided any connection with European style club music and clubbers. Or, indeed, with Detroit techno, house, disco etc. What they have done is to break it's bones and repaint it until it has become a virtual copy of shit eating corporate stadium rock. No Gays, no black people, no Latin people, no anything that doesn't scream of white, middle class America. It's dance music with it's soul ripped out and it's history white washed. To quote Hunter Thompson:
This is what we would be doing every Saturday night for the rest of time if the Nazis had won the war.
I will go on record right now on this: within a year there will be a genre called 'Christ-step' - Christian dubstep will be a thing.

While I'm on the subject, I hear that the subject of playing 'pre-mixed' sets has become a big issue in EDM following some cunt in a rat mask saying something about some other cunts not in rat masks. And Guetta was congratulating himself for continuing to play after a power cut because 'wooohoo I do this LIVE!!! YEAHHHH!"

That's right. He demanded adulation from a huge crowd for doing what musicians have been doing since the dawn of time: his fucking job. Jesus wept.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I'll just leave this here and run for cover :lol: :lol: :lol:

youtu.be/gZzAeYWXFpk