New members say hello...

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mimui
beast
Re: New members say hello...

Post by Mimui »

I noticed this forum recently and was amazed with the amount of
usefull and productive information that is on here so now i decided to join the community.

Being producing for about 2 years now I am wondering;
what do people think about my music ?

There 's gonna be a link below of a track I made most recently.

cheers

<link removed>

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Mimui, I've removed your track again. Please don't spam us with your tracks until you've been posting for a bit, it's just good manners.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

thx for the welcome, atleast something that makes me feel like this place is not full of robots x)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mimui wrote:thx for the welcome, atleast something that makes me feel like this place is not full of robots x)
when you find a robot rambling as good as me,
I'll gladly retire.

and welcome to subsekt.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

btw Mimui, your avatar is the same like blnn,
you might want to consider getting another one.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

done ;)

U should check the series Mr. Robot,
It 's awesome

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mimui wrote:done ;)

U should check the series Mr. Robot,
It 's awesome
I already did.
Stace recommended it a few months ago.
Didn't even know it was from that series.

Can't wait till I can see the 2nd season.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

normally u can check the second, the 3th isn 't there yet tho :p

Man, this is the best I fot since GoT :D

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Hey!

I'm a guy from the middle of Germany. I'm addicted to music for 30 years now and seriously can't live without it. I played drums for 10 years. In 1995 I got interested in electronic music, too. Techno, IDM, Ambient... words, names, pfff... there are only two types of music, right? Good and bad. I liked lots of different stuff but felt in love with D'n'B heavily. For me, sadly enough, that awesome genre died around 2003.

Today I mainly listen to Techno, Dark Ambient, Noise and various kinds of Metal. You might guess who are my favorite Techno producers atm. ;-)

I'd like to share and discuss all things Techno on Subsekt and of course check out your tunes and receive feedback for mine.

Cheers!

Kim

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

collide wrote: pfff... there are only two types of music, right? Good and bad.
I totally agree,

BUT...

you know...

well...

there's also edm... :shock: :shock: :?

the word bad just can't describe that kind of horror enough. :lol:
collide wrote: I liked lots of different stuff but felt in love with D'n'B heavily. For me, sadly enough, that awesome genre died around 2003.
I disagree.
Maybe the older days were far better, but nowadays you can find some proper DnB from time to time,
and I've got the impression there's some kind of revival going on.
but of course, I'd never call myself a connaisseur of DnB at all.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and fucking welcome to subsekt btw !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mimui wrote:normally u can check the second, the 3th isn 't there yet tho :p

Man, this is the best I fot since GoT :D
did you see the 2nd series already ?
was it as good as the 1st ?

never saw any GoT,
it's fantasy, and I really don't like fantasy.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Hades wrote:
collide wrote: pfff... there are only two types of music, right? Good and bad.
I totally agree,

BUT...

you know...

well...

there's also edm... :shock: :shock: :?

the word bad just can't describe that kind of horror enough. :lol:

The horror.... the horror...

youtu.be/PcMZ_RoWcrE
collide wrote: I liked lots of different stuff but felt in love with D'n'B heavily. For me, sadly enough, that awesome genre died around 2003.
Hades wrote: I disagree.
Maybe the older days were far better, but nowadays you can find some proper DnB from time to time,
and I've got the impression there's some kind of revival going on.
but of course, I'd never call myself a connaisseur of DnB at all.
Yes, there is some good stuff out there.
But these exceptions do not catch me like the stuff from '98 did.
I still have the feeling the overall vibe is gone or I'm too old. :D

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

Hell yeah! the second season was even more fucked up :D
it makes u hesitate even more about everything, hahah ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mimui wrote:Hell yeah! the second season was even more fucked up :D
it makes u hesitate even more about everything, hahah ;)
not sure if you read up a lot on especially history, and some times economics, politics,...
but I just met msl from subsekt here in Berlin 2 days ago for a few beers, and he once recommended "Confessions of An Economic Hit-man", it was one of the best books I read as an "eye-opener" type of material.

During the last year, when I still had lots of time on my hand, I watched quite a few youtube video's.
It goes without saying that every video on youtube should be watched with critical eyes,
but I do believe most of this video to be true, and I know for a fact that the part of the concentration camps being nothing more than a modern form of slave labor financed by the rich is absolutely true (you can find the right academic research on this if you look hard enough, but of course it will never get properly published).
But anyway, if you have about 3,5 hours to spare,
then fasten your seatbelt and watch this one.
They go a little bit too much into detail about the Kennedy assassination,
but yeah, apart from that this is one of the best documentaries I have seen in a while,
and it was the 1st one that came to my mind when you said "it makes you doubt everything"

youtu.be/U1Qt6a-vaNM

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Hades wrote:
Kopenhagen is one the nicest cities and capitals in the whole fucking world if you ask me.
I won't call myself a globetrotter, but in Western EU I did see almost every country once or multiple times,
and I totally loooooved Copenhagen.
Only city I could see myself living in, and a wonderful city for kids to grow up in.

I seriously considered studying musicology when I was 18,
but the job options sounded too limited here in Belgium.
Your job sounds great, even if you gotta hear a lot of schlager shit.
It's common FM radio after all.
I can't even listen to normal radio, EVER. (of course internet specialized channels are the exception)
The one exception of "normal" radio being the 100% classical channel my mrs always puts on from time to time,
but that comes from my classical education ages ago I guess.
Commercial radio is just impossible for me to bear. :?

Haha, see you reposted Andy Stott.
Met him years ago when he had just released his 1st album (which I loved back then).
The dude really didn't know what hit him back then, and barely knew what he was doing.
Haven't really checked out anything from him the last few years,
too abstract to my likings, tbh,
and I don't really like the blind idolizing of artists, which is a bit what they have been doing with him for a while now.
Nonetheless, he made some decent stuff at times.
And I'm slow at answering questions (!) but my girlfriend just moved in, so I've haven't had time to do fun things like writing with you guys!

But yeah København (let's just get a third way of writing the name) is a nice place... it's a bit expensive though! But I really liked that lately it seems as though there's starting to form a really solid scene. If you're into punk you might've heard about the label Posh Isolation - they made a lot of very reverbed noisy punk and in the last year or two a lot of them have moved to techno, so we've gotten these quite noisy techno labels, which I really like :) (I used to be quite jealous of other cities that have a quite crystalized sound)

I don't really know what musicologist end up working with if they don't end up as researchers... Festivals and stuff, I guess - that wasn't really why I started - I have just kept my fingers crossed for everything to work out :-)

Erm... My soundcloud needs a cleaning! I have had it for a few years without using it actively - I then ended up not logging out of it on a friends computer and all of a sudden I ended up having liked a bunch of stuff, without my knowledge :-P

But I liked to add something to Andy Stott. It's not always my cup of tea - depends on the mood - but I really respect the way he makes a very synthetic sound have a quite emotional expression. That's actually a field in musicology that concerns me quite a bit. Traditionally speaking we expect humans to "add" feelings to the instructions (sheets, text and shit) they are given. That's why you can experience to classical concerts playing the same piece, where only one will make an emotional impact on you. We have a quite developed toolbox to dissect what's going on here (it could be the phrasing, the mimicking, the amount of coherence there is througout the orchestra etc.). But electronic music is very different in this sense - because it can replicate itself almost completely. So where we're used to experience feelings in art as something that's added by a human in electronic music that is not the case. Therefore when people - and a lot of people do this... reviewers for instance - talk about Andy Stott as someone who makes emotional electronic music, the musicological world quite often come up short in explaining why we experience these emotions.... that's something I like to go about and struggle my head with :)

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Amøbe wrote: But I liked to add something to Andy Stott. It's not always my cup of tea - depends on the mood - but I really respect the way he makes a very synthetic sound have a quite emotional expression. That's actually a field in musicology that concerns me quite a bit. Traditionally speaking we expect humans to "add" feelings to the instructions (sheets, text and shit) they are given. That's why you can experience to classical concerts playing the same piece, where only one will make an emotional impact on you. We have a quite developed toolbox to dissect what's going on here (it could be the phrasing, the mimicking, the amount of coherence there is througout the orchestra etc.). But electronic music is very different in this sense - because it can replicate itself almost completely. So where we're used to experience feelings in art as something that's added by a human in electronic music that is not the case. Therefore when people - and a lot of people do this... reviewers for instance - talk about Andy Stott as someone who makes emotional electronic music, the musicological world quite often come up short in explaining why we experience these emotions.... that's something I like to go about and struggle my head with :)
Electronic music is created by humans - it doesn't write itself.
Case solved.

:D

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

collide wrote:
Electronic music is created by humans - it doesn't write itself.
Case solved.

:D
Even though that's true (somewhat - selfgenerating music exists... but its existence is usually its most interesting attribute) you're missing two points:

1) from very early on (like Steve Reichs's "It's gonna Rain") a lot of electronic music has tried to be antianthropocene - that is starting processes over which you have either very little or no control. So that moves this music away from the usual ways in which emotions are expressed.

2) there's a tactile disconnection between what people do, and the clinging sound an electronic instrument produce (of course there's exceptions). This means that the production of emotions (which also can be something like "this sound disturbing") is different from, for example, a violin.

So the problem lies within saying, why and how these emotions are expressed... we don't have a very big toolbox for that yet :)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Amøbe wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here a while, and I know not to ask how to get the bumcode sound... hopefully I can add something else too.

I'm from Copenhagen and had my techno virginity taken by Berghain at the age of 21 (25 today)... At the point I didn't know anything about that place besides a recommendation from a friend's friend... so I do have a sweet spot for a lot of that sound. But these days it's more labels like Token (I'm also somewhat biased by copenhagen hero Ctrls coming from there), Ilian Tapes... and others (forgetting right now) than the ostgut roster that I like ...But I guess those aforementioned labels also get a lot of rotation in Berghain.

Anyways, I'm a musicologist - I work at The National Radio of Denmark (DR) in their discotheque (that is in it's original meaning - a collection of discs like vinyl, CDs and other formats) and I'm currently writing some teaching material for danish "gymnasie"students (16-20 years old - pre University) about technos aesthetics and how to analyze it.

Also - shitty demo:
Welcome my Scandinavian brother. I'm in Copenhagen way more often then I'm in Stockholm ;)
Cool with your profession there, sounds ace.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Presethead
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Presethead »

Hi all, new member here. In real life people call me Erik and i live in the Netherlands. I'm not new to electronic music making, since i started doing that in the early nineties of the last century. First using trackers, but (as my moniker that originates from those days might convey) quickly moving to using MIDI on a Roland E-35 keyboard and Cubase 1 on an Atari 1040ST. Over the years i added hardware and cranking out tracks in all kinds of genres. Gabber was a big love, DnB got my interest, made hiphop beats but in between those there was always techno. Raw and repetitive with the opportunity to just jam, tweak knobs, go crazy with sounds. As i grew older my free time got scarce and with getting kids, so did the space for my hardware. So that moved to the attic.

Last year i decided that all the hours i poured into music making should no go to waste and i invested in getting proper software and plugins to get things going again. It's really inspiring that all the things i dreamed of doing in the nineties can now all be done using 1 laptop. Ocassionaly i find the time to really jam again and that's how i found myself returning to making techno tracks recently.

Part of getting back on track in music making is looking for communities of people sharing knowledge and that's how i stumbled on Subsekt. I hope i can contribute to discussion, share what i know, but most of all learn from all of you.