Gettin' old

General Chat // Music Discussion
seanocean
Jan : )
Re: Gettin' old

Post by seanocean »

jordanneke wrote:It's not the amount of stuff you do.

It's the amount of NEW experiences you have. A busy day at work flies by, because you are occupied in the tasks that you already know how to do.
Yeh I read somewhere time slows down if there's radical changes. like massive shifts in perception.. but also our perspective is based on ratios. the younger you are the less you have to compare things too. also life goes pretty fast when you're waiting on a paycheck to do something with your life. If that isn't the truth, then i don't know what else is.

For me the only regret is that i didn't start making techno sooner cause i kept on telling myself that i only wanted to DJ or only throw parties, or only do soundsystem stuff. I didn't think i was musically inclined until i just kept hammering at it and i was feeling my way through the notes.. like about 5-6 years ago. I'm still dodgy at making techno, but I'm really happy that it's a direction and a relatively new focus.

the down sides of it is that i find it's hard to find people like me or as I get older I find that people've given up on this life.. and i don't understand.. if something gives you incessant joy in the pursuit, why stop? why not try more? why not seek all there is to know? the thing though is that music takes so much time. it is a time formatted media.. the more you know, the more time slips by. maybe people are too impatient to see it through.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

seanocean wrote:
Yeh I read somewhere time slows down if there's radical changes. like massive shifts in perception.. but also our perspective is based on ratios. the younger you are the less you have to compare things too. also life goes pretty fast when you're waiting on a paycheck to do something with your life. If that isn't the truth, then i don't know what else is.
god yeah, that paycheck thing.
I just spent 10 hours yesterday following a day at what should normally be my next job in 2 weeks.
For the last 15 years, I did 2 different dispatch jobs that gave me a lot of stress at times, but it was never decently paid, BUT I had a LOT of free days, which gave me so much time for music.
Learning how to make music already takes up so many hours, but if you also still want to keep on discovering new music, that's yet another 2 or 3 hours a week you can easily lose just with that.
Now I'll be doing a 50h work week, and I have no idea how my music passion will survive being turned down from say 50h/week (piano, records, producing) to maybe 15h/week.
But it's a really decent paycheck, and I just have to at least try it and give it a go.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

seanocean wrote: For me the only regret is that i didn't start making techno sooner cause i kept on telling myself that i only wanted to DJ or only throw parties, or only do soundsystem stuff. I didn't think i was musically inclined until i just kept hammering at it and i was feeling my way through the notes.. like about 5-6 years ago. I'm still dodgy at making techno, but I'm really happy that it's a direction and a relatively new focus.

the down sides of it is that i find it's hard to find people like me or as I get older I find that people've given up on this life.. and i don't understand.. if something gives you incessant joy in the pursuit, why stop? why not try more? why not seek all there is to know? the thing though is that music takes so much time. it is a time formatted media.. the more you know, the more time slips by. maybe people are too impatient to see it through.
I some times have the same thing.
I bought my 1st synth in '94, and gave up on producing during my univ years.
I really wished I had continued back then, it's one of the few things I regret in my life.
but such is life, and at least I picked it up again and never gave up on piano playing.

And about finding like minded people...
I grew up in a musical family. 2 out of my 3 sisters and both my parents played piano.
We all had a classical education.
My dad still sings in a choir, but that's the only person still doing something with music.
And apart from me, nobody there plays piano except for my nieces who started playing a few years ago,
but I can tell it's not with the same passion as I always had.
And the actual creating part... I'm the only one.

One of my best friends, the one who actually convinced me to restart producing, stopped making music for years,
and now maybe spends 2 hours a week on it, and seems perfectly happy with that.
I perfectly understand what it's like with real life getting in the way, and kids definitely eat away far too much of your time,
but I'd never be able to give it all up.
I always find it so funny when you see someone selling a lot of gear at once on ebay or so, and saying "stopping the hobby".
As if it's something that is only a "hobby" (hell no !!!) and something I would even be able to stop.
Fuck no. It's in my veins, and I could never give that shit up.

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Hades wrote:
I'll stop at the age when Kraftwerk stops or if i go completely deaf. Kraftwerk, believe it or not was a big inspiration for me to start getting into making music after 15 years of DJing and never picking up a synth. I thought to myself.. those guys are older than dirt. Then i realized all the Detroit heads are still at it. Now, Robert hood is touring with his daughter and all this is amazing to me.. it makes me feel like there's really no age limit on this music. I think really techno musicians will be like jazz musicians and keep going until they're in the grave.

"bury me with my OB!" we'll say. ;)
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

seanocean wrote:
Hades wrote:
I'll stop at the age when Kraftwerk stops or if i go completely deaf. Kraftwerk, believe it or not was a big inspiration for me to start getting into making music after 15 years of DJing and never picking up a synth. I thought to myself.. those guys are older than dirt. Then i realized all the Detroit heads are still at it. Now, Robert hood is touring with his daughter and all this is amazing to me.. it makes me feel like there's really no age limit on this music. I think really techno musicians will be like jazz musicians and keep going until they're in the grave.

"bury me with my OB!" we'll say. ;)
I think this isn't even just for jazz musicians.
It's simply for all kinds of serious musicians, as in completely passionate about what they do.
I mean, classical musicians play their whole life, blues musicians do as well.
Toots Thielemans played until he was 91 years old, only 2 years before his death just a few weeks ago.
Not that we'll ever get to be that good of course, but it gives you an idea of how if you once became passionate about music, you can't just stop. :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

You know you're getting mileage in the studio when the paint on your main synth/controller starts to peel off at the place you regularly put your hand on.
And I so much need to change the top part of my chair,
the leather is cracked all over and I have to put a towel on top or the filling starts to make my legs itch all over. :?

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Ill 2nd that, when your gear starts showing wear, your arms ache and you've got thru a mouse or two you definitely know you've been getting your moneys worth.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I just took my oldest (who's gonna be 9 in november) aside to tell her that "sinterklaas" doesn't really exist.
I guess for people in the US or UK, that would mean "santa claus", though it's a totally different legend and date.

Over here, they stop "following" the legend in school in the year she's at currently,
and I know 90% of her friends already know the truth for at least a whole year.
so at the risk of her being ridiculed by her peers,
I just waited for the right moment (bought her a nice stand for her cello),
and told her as discretely as possible without my youngest hearing anything.

"so, daddy, does that mean the easter bunny doesn't exist either ??"
"yeah, honey, sorry"

I kind of feel relieved she didn't ask about the tooth fairy as well,
though I know it will only be a matter of days before she does ask about that as well,
but on the other hand,
I haven't felt so emotionally empty in ages.

It's like taking your kid, shaking it all around, smashing all it's dreams apart with one big hit,
and screaming :
"YOOOOOO, IT'S ALL BEEN AN ILLUSION, HAHAHAHA, GOT YA, YOU STUPID CUNT,
FUCK YOU FOR BELIEVING IN FAIRY TALES,
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD WHERE OUR ENVIRONMENT IS GOING DOWN THE DRAIN AND BANKS RIP YOU OFF FOR LIFE !!!!!"
:cry: :cry:

She was researching in a dictionary what a tampon was,
I figured maybe today was a good day to inform her about a few little things she should stop believing in.

I feel like total shit... :|

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Hades wrote:You know you're getting mileage in the studio when the paint on your main synth/controller starts to peel off at the place you regularly put your hand on.
And I so much need to change the top part of my chair,
the leather is cracked all over and I have to put a towel on top or the filling starts to make my legs itch all over. :?

Nah man you just need a new chair, with something behind too. :lol: :lol:
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Hades wrote:I just took my oldest (who's gonna be 9 in november) aside to tell her that "sinterklaas" doesn't really exist.
I guess for people in the US or UK, that would mean "santa claus", though it's a totally different legend and date.

Over here, they stop "following" the legend in school in the year she's at currently,
and I know 90% of her friends already know the truth for at least a whole year.
so at the risk of her being ridiculed by her peers,
I just waited for the right moment (bought her a nice stand for her cello),
and told her as discretely as possible without my youngest hearing anything.

"so, daddy, does that mean the easter bunny doesn't exist either ??"
"yeah, honey, sorry"

I kind of feel relieved she didn't ask about the tooth fairy as well,
though I know it will only be a matter of days before she does ask about that as well,
but on the other hand,
I haven't felt so emotionally empty in ages.

It's like taking your kid, shaking it all around, smashing all it's dreams apart with one big hit,
and screaming :
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD WHERE OUR ENVIRONMENT IS GOING DOWN THE DRAIN AND BANKS RIP YOU OFF FOR LIFE !!!!!"

Milestone day mate :-( Another little bit of innocence had disappeared....

As a new parent, I'm really not looking forward to going through all this stuff...

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

WHAT..... Santa doesn't exist!!!

YOU CUNT!

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

DJ Shadow's endtroducing album was released 25 years ago - now that makes me feel OLD.

youtu.be/KH5He9TW0mE

I ripped Aphex Twin's SAW1 the other day and realised bought that in 1992 - fook! feelin' old

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

terryfalafel wrote:
Hades wrote:
and screaming :

Milestone day mate :-( Another little bit of innocence had disappeared....

As a new parent, I'm really not looking forward to going through all this stuff...
ow, believe me, it's no fun at all, felt terrible the rest of the evening.
We were really hoping she would get the information from somewhere else.
But apparently she never believed any of her friends who knew it and told her.
A lot of times kids just prefer to believe in the magic.
I wouldn't have minded if she went with it for another year, but you don't want to have the risk that your kid is getting ridiculed either.
But yeah, you do feel like you've just been fooling your kid in a big way for years,
though we don't really have a choice, do we ?
When you're born here, you gotta go with the flow or else your kid goes to school and hears about all the stuff the other kids had and why didn't they get anything and...
And tbh, I think it's a wonderful myth, one of the nicest days of the year for most kids.

But yeah, I found her looking up in a dictionary what a tampon was.
My mrs wasn't gonna be home in another few hours,
I had to divert her attention somehow and we had to tell it anyway... :D
My mrs took care of the tampon explanation afterwards.
Most hilarious part is that the dictionary she used is a real old one, like 70 years old or something,
one that we just keep in our library for decoration,
and the tampon only got popular after WWII,
so the word wasn't even in the dictionary yet.
:lol: :lol: