new space/new interface

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
kostas
Opposite
new space/new interface

Post by kostas »

hi to all ,
my last post was a year ago or something, right after the forum' s member mix
somehow I managed to be left without a studio during all this time. changing house etc.
finally I m on an decent attic starting to flex my production muscles again. so I m thinking of getting an interface. there is a hype for the UA stuff and the accompanied plug ins. https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces ... -mkii.html
But I m looking to the Antelope discrete series. https://it.antelopeaudio.com/products/discrete-4/
It has a lot more of dsp capabilities than the apollo through their afx2daw for daw integration. (16 channels x 4 plugins) plus antelope gives 50+ plug ins all in one buy in comparison with UA that demands after market sales for all their plug ins. 4 class A mic preamps (well I dont use mics so I just threw that in) and 14x20 usb/thunderbolt.
so I think I ll go with antelope.
What am I missing ? What your experience on this matter?
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

timc3
Back Bling
Re: new space/new interface

Post by timc3 »

I have a UAD Apollo, and it's certainly pricey for what you appear to get. But it's so far been extremely reliable and the drivers and software have just worked with no problem since day one and others I know have had the same experience.

Antelope I haven't tried but on other forums reliability and their support always seems to come up, I don't have any solid evidence but from first glance it seems that they are just not there.

UAD plugins I have a love hate relationship with. I love the quality but hate that they need the hardware to run, and if you don't catch them in a sale they add up. Its basically now just a big dongle because most people have enough CPU power, though it gives the Unison feature which I find fairly impressive.
I am considering switching to a UAD accelerator because of my spend on the plugins and use a MOTU interface, because I don't use Unison that often even though I do track synths.