Ancient Methods Sound design technique?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
myname
Interact. Don't Spam.
Ancient Methods Sound design technique?

Post by myname »

An all time classic, makes me feel like the world is ending. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions of the sound design that is being used on knights as the main "synth" or whatever that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80DqcF ... gs=pl%2Cwn

All thoughts appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any light to shed on other production techniques ancient methods uses too I would be really interested in hearing them too!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Ancient Methods Sound design technique?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Drones, detuned saw/pulse, shit loads of delay, filter sweep set to very slow LFO.

Other than that, just get some clang samples for the drums.
His techniques are no different to stuff we talk about generically in here.

If it`s the style you want, then what you need to do, is be him.....
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

I've seen him live a few times and he plays some kind of trumpet, which probably goes through a whole bunch of effects.
You could try to use and abuse some real life samples like that to create those kinds of pads and drones.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Evert wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm
I've seen him live a few times and he plays some kind of trumpet
That's a trombone, playing lower notes than a trumpet and sounds mostly more brassy/ dirty. Depending on the musician playing it, for sure.
:geek:

Ben Kohonays
Obsessed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

That's a great tune.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

zarkas
beast

Post by zarkas »

Very nice tune indeed. Try to program some midi on any synths with just a noise oscillator, distort the shit out of it, eq and then send it to delay and reverb. I use massive and sometimes add some of the other oscillators pass them through comb filter and then low pass (serial) and automate comb pitch the low pass cut off. You can try juxtaposing modulations, like cranking up the distortion after the filter while lowering the cut off of the filter.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Dunno...I'm hearing 6 or7 diff synths here, mainly just being filtered low to high layered and followed by the next one low to high, etc.
I like Ancient Methods. Been listening more lately as I missed a lot of stuff in general over the last few years and playing catch up. This one reminds me of some Luke slater stuff on his all exhale album, very dense textures. Think I prefer the more house type grooves (his skippy hat stuff!) more so than this kind of full on driving stuff. Serves a different purpose I guess...

Edit: weird...I must have been hallucinating, skipping thru yt vids and don't recognise much. Confused now about who I was listening to! ..

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

intrusav wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am
Edit: weird...I must have been hallucinating, skipping thru yt vids and don't recognise much. Confused now about who I was listening to! ..
Definitely hallucinating! Or you mean housey like this?
https://youtu.be/YynIEDvsygw
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

No, I is confusing me. I is scrabblehead...

entropy94
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by entropy94 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2LdwKAsnMQ

I really love the synth pad layer thats starts very lowpass and vaguely from the very beginning.

Is it a chord synth? or choir synth patch? It sounds like a voice chants almost at times.

What kind of synth should I use? or is it granular?

I have been trying to get that kind of pad sound, but can't seem to get it to move like that. I suspect it requires another layer of filter modulation post reverb.