Hits and cool shit

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
gurr13r
crud
Hits and cool shit

Post by gurr13r »

Hey there, I have a problem with every track when it gets to the finishing stages, I dont really know how to make all the cool little noises and hits that make tracks interesting, I usually end up making something tired and outdated like a white noise swoosh or a reverse crash, or a Porc hit with loads of reverb and a ping pong delay on it... Any help would be brilliant :)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Hits and cool shit

Post by Críoch »

Well.. I'm just messing about with something now & wanted to mess about with some sounds.. so I whacked a chorus on one of the parts & tweaked it while recording the audio onto another track.

Loaded the audio into simpler & I'm just messing about with loop points to find something interesting. Might try fkkn about with it in a clip & bouncing something from it later if I need.. but I'll probably add more fx on it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

I think what John said is a good idea Gurrier;

Sample yourself going nuts with some controls and find loops points, and you could also chop bits out and use the sampler's amp and filter envelopes to make hits and builds, run through more FX, resample etc.

Not very glamourous I know but you should be able to rustle something up with a bit of patience, and if you use existing elements already in your song as the sample fodder, then the timbres should be related and able to be used as fancy bits without sounding like you're dropping in random FX hits from sample packs.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

hi5 Sam!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

gurr13r
crud

Post by gurr13r »

Nice one lads, I think my problem is patience, and actually getting stuck in... another problem I have is a 13" screen, its a bit of a pain not being able to see the full track properly, I need to invest in a monitor I think

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Add a 4/4 cowbell!

I GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL! :D
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

AVTWEE
Exampleless

Post by AVTWEE »

Experiment with white noise hits and their filter envelopes. crush them with fx, record en process again until you have a unique sounding fx sound. there are no rules, just experimentation. with experimentation you'll encounter various often used stuff.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL! :D
Haha, there's always one!

youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA

ZERO
fake

Post by ZERO »

+1 for recording shit as you fiddle about with parameters. Forget about only doing it with fx. You can get interesting results tweaking stuff on a plugin synth.

I like doing it with synth drum hits. With very small changes you can get massive variations. If you tuck a synth drum hit into your groove and open it up and stuff at various points, it can sound pretty good too. But try recording the strangeness if you want something unique.

rollah
beast

Post by rollah »

tweak tweak tweaky tweak all day long. jammin is the best.

the majority of it will be pants, but cut out whats ok

chocstclair85
broke

Post by chocstclair85 »

I just got Evolve Mutations from NI and its packed full of cool stuff just for this kind of thing. Cinematic hits, transition fx, glitch etc. I've found it a winner so far and might be worth a look

ARiFF
snıuǝƃ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Post by ARiFF »

I have gotten some good results with the Turnado vst from Sugarbytes.

In ableton i set it up with a midi control channel so i can make it do whatever i want to using my midi controller. At first it might look as a easy, punch-a-button-and-go kindoff thing, but once you get the hang of it you can start creating your own combinations of effects and tweak those the way you like.

Resample the result, use the dictator to mix and automate transitions between the different fx and you can come up with some great results. Me personally i dont use sample packs with sound fx or stuff, but it can happen that i find an interesting sound somewhere which i mangle than through a bunch of effects and so on creating something quite unique and totally different sounding than the original source material.

Lately i have been out recording some custom ambient noises of traffic, people, whatever and have some pretty neat results... If you want some samples just let me know ;)