DRUMMER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER - MOOG

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
tsaro
Lifer
Re: DRUMMER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER - MOOG

Post by tsaro »

juodas wrote: My vocabluary not really wise in music, however it's really hard to me to listen a full techno tracm atm, most of the time you know how iit ends and how it will sound on a drop, it's just doesn'tt hook me anymore, maybe on a drugs would be different talk, i bought, some shitty tunes from bandcamp when i was bumping speed quite a while and smoking few spliffs, however when you're sober it's just sounds boring, i think i need to attend to more gigs or something to refresh my mind set and ideas amd search for more tunes. Vertical spectrum, awb, and few more makes some decent techno, rabit hole by vertical it's just spacious! Cheesy for me it's just boring, it's lacks or suprise or whatsoever, sound design is good though, but it lacks something, or i lack of drugs :lol: :P
Yeah, I wouldn't base my opinion on some random stuff you bought from bandcamp while tweaked :lol:
There's plenty of fresh stuff to be found if you dig a little.
how far do you want to go

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

There's and i'm agree with that, however gave that thing as an example anyway, peace lol

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Ive bought this thread back to see what people are thinking of the DFAM now they might have had a chance to play with one or buy one?

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

It's great. The most 'techno' synth I own. Definitely has a specific sound out of the box but you can go beyond that with thoughtful patching. You can make great techno loops with a DFAM, drum machine and a delay.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

It is a neat box, although pricy and limited, but that is part of the charm for me. Sometimes I can come up with something I like real quick, sometimes I can't get anything im happy with. Patching stuff in is interesting as well. Its sounds fat and clean or ruff and dirty. Your call.

This is Dfam with a bit of processing through the sherman just to heat it up a it.

youtu.be/gBFViTHsFME
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Mslwte wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:44 pm
It is a neat box, although pricy and limited, but that is part of the charm for me. Sometimes I can come up with something I like real quick, sometimes I can't get anything im happy with. Patching stuff in is interesting as well. Its sounds fat and clean or ruff and dirty. Your call.

This is Dfam with a bit of processing through the sherman just to heat it up a it.

youtu.be/gBFViTHsFME
might i ask on how do you use it in production?
Can you sync it with ableton, or you just record audio from it?
how do you deal with the only one out?
i have to say i dident really get this machine after watching some vids, how do you actually programm different sounds on the steps?
it sounds ace though and iam kinda interested.
also it has a raw quality to it that i dident hear before, maybe except something like the leploop
But its very important for me to be able to connect it to my workflow in ableton. So i would need to have it running and have other sounds playing in sync with it.
Or atleast be able to record the audio at the bpm i want into ableton without jitter or any other bs.
i bought a elektron model cycles this year, which is also very interesting, but it only has one out, and getting the audio into ableton without fucking with the timing has not worked yet for me, although other people on the internet say it should be possible...
So i want to avoid an experience like this if i get something new, i just want it to work out of the box.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

Sync means a clock signal in. Easiest way to do this from Ableton is sending clock over cv using a dc coupled interface. This will work and is stable but there is no built in reset for the sequencer which is annoying. There are workarounds if you have a modular system.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Oktagon wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 pm
Sync means a clock signal in. Easiest way to do this from Ableton is sending clock over cv using a dc coupled interface. This will work and is stable but there is no built in reset for the sequencer which is annoying. There are workarounds if you have a modular system.
ay, then i would need a new interface too.
any experiences with minijack midi -> clock in?
i got an usamo so i could get stable midi out of that

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Mine will be here on Tuesday. I plan on using the analog four to sync it and or expand the sequencer. I want to pair it with my Dark Energy III and make some Regis style tracks.

By the way check out this guys videos...so good:
youtu.be/0qPLe1tcAvU

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

over9000 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:42 pm
There is no midi in, it's a pure analogue machine. When I first got it I used the midi in on my mother-32 to get a clock signal to sync the dfam but honestly dealing with the latency issues with Ableton and midi was a total pain. In the end I got an ES-8 modular interface and switched to entirely cv based clocking and after spending a bunch of time figuring out how to properly deal with the latency that works great.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Oktagon wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:08 am
over9000 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:42 pm
There is no midi in, it's a pure analogue machine. When I first got it I used the midi in on my mother-32 to get a clock signal to sync the dfam but honestly dealing with the latency issues with Ableton and midi was a total pain. In the end I got an ES-8 modular interface and switched to entirely cv based clocking and after spending a bunch of time figuring out how to properly deal with the latency that works great.
Well well
I feared there would be complications like this..
As its a mono and one output machine you could still use it without clock and pitch the recorded audio in ableton later.. but thats kinda meeh too
Anyway thx for your answer :)

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Since there is no reset input, you'll have to manually set it to the last step before hitting play, or if your sequencer/clock source has the option, it's simplest to stop it on a whole measure. It would be possible with some patching/routing, you would first need to divide your clock by 8 and then have that trigger a multiplier with which you trigger the DFAM.

Instead of a multiplier you could also use a square LFO with reset function, could be interesting. Free running would require some tweaking though you'd have more freedom with the groove (naturally). Also fun would be if the LFO has a delay function. Don't know the A4 well enough to say any of this is possible (also regarding routing), though iirc it does have a clock divider/multiplier and a syncable LFO. With a few modules it is certainly doable.

The sequencer is internally normalled to vol/pitch though you can patch in anything you like. With a cv mixer you can get some cool extra functionality as well.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

This is what is needed imo. I dont have one yet but it looks decent to me.

youtu.be/VF6GRCjxO0Y
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

tsaro wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm
Since there is no reset input, you'll have to manually set it to the last step before hitting play, or if your sequencer/clock source has the option, it's simplest to stop it on a whole measure. It would be possible with some patching/routing, you would first need to divide your clock by 8 and then have that trigger a multiplier with which you trigger the DFAM.

Instead of a multiplier you could also use a square LFO with reset function, could be interesting. Free running would require some tweaking though you'd have more freedom with the groove (naturally). Also fun would be if the LFO has a delay function. Don't know the A4 well enough to say any of this is possible (also regarding routing), though iirc it does have a clock divider/multiplier and a syncable LFO. With a few modules it is certainly doable.

The sequencer is internally normalled to vol/pitch though you can patch in anything you like. With a cv mixer you can get some cool extra functionality as well.
If you have Ornament & Crime Hemisphere Suite I wrote an applet that provides reset for the DFAM.

youtu.be/JrT1hraTqbk

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Cool:) I have neither though, might get a DFAM in time only trying not to add too many digital modules. Menu diving with tiny screens and knobs isn't really my cup of tea.. And not to start about dirty power rails and such...

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

So I got it a day early and all I have to say is fuck yeah! This is the purest sounding machine in my arsenal now. I have no experience with modular but the first thing I found out doing was from the Analog four was to set up a clock cv to the DFAMs ADV/Clock input and change the clock speed by step on the A4...

The sound is amazing. Between the noise osc with a nice LPF, the FM, and being able to fade in/out the 2 oscillators I can see this leading to some pretty great minimal/hypnotic tracks. It really fills the space in the mix in a really good way. Added a kick and hihat from the digitakt and had hours of fun already. My goal will probably be to just record live takes into ableton. I didn't know how I'd feel about the pitch knobs but its so fun to hone in on the right pitch ever so slightly. I'm sure I can use the A4 to quantize the pitch directly but I'll get to that.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

tsaro wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:45 pm
Cool:) I have neither though, might get a DFAM in time only trying not to add too many digital modules. Menu diving with tiny screens and knobs isn't really my cup of tea.. And not to start about dirty power rails and such...
Yeah fair enough it is a lot of faff... works nicely once you get it all set up though.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Mslwte wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:07 pm
This is what is needed imo. I dont have one yet but it looks decent to me.

youtu.be/VF6GRCjxO0Y
Damn you boys now i want one too :twisted:
So with that device you could send clock to the dfam and still use the internal sequencer for pitch?
Or would you loose the sequencer?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Have always been interested in picking up a 2nd hand one.. but keep reading about noisy pots. Not tye scratchy , dirty kind.. but ones that have developed some kind of fault further up the board possibly.. that need returning for repair.

Obviously they're a great machine, but has anyone had any problems?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Críoch wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 am
Have always been interested in picking up a 2nd hand one.. but keep reading about noisy pots. Not tye scratchy , dirty kind.. but ones that have developed some kind of fault further up the board possibly.. that need returning for repair.

Obviously they're a great machine, but has anyone had any problems?
Crioch..I don't have any issues that I can tell but its a new unit. Plus Moog has a 1 year warranty if anything goes wrong...but I have a sub37 as well and feel this product is up to par with that machine. I should probably be telling you not to get this though as I feel you'll just end up sounding like me :lol:
I threw this clip together just jamming on day 2!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h9IY2C ... sp=sharing