Dreadbox

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Dreadbox

Post by The_G »

Curious about their mono/paraphonic synths, but am not sure which one would best fit my needs/wants. So I'm wondering...for those of you who own or have used Dreadbox synths, what do you see as the specific advantages/disadvantages of one over the other (e.g. Erebus vs. Nyx)?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Dreadbox

Post by Lost to the Void »

I had an Erebus.
The sound is second to none, nothing in the price range sounds anywhere near as good, the osc and filters are just lush.
I can't remember why I sold mine and I seriously regret it.
So I can recommend the Erebus. I'd get one again, but I thought I would upgrade now to the Abyss, but I wanna wait and see what the Medusa is all about.
I wanted a NYX when they came out, and demoed one, but ultimately I went in a different direction for the synth I wanted to fit that role.

In think choosing between the 2 really depends on what features you are looking for. Erebus is more straight forward, but sounds sexy and useable no matter what you do (probably better choice for you if you are doing more synthwave stuff). NYX has more edge, a bit more metallic, more conducive to experimentation but not as instantly "pleasant".
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

I own a Dreadbox Erebus, although not for much longer as I am currently ebaying it.

It does sound lovely, really rich, thick and organic sounding. The patchbay can get you some decent weird sounds too, along with the delay.

The reason I am selling it is because I have everything either linked up with its own sequencer or sequenced by my Elektron, which only does limited cv and the Erebus seems to want to be either be controlled through midi or a more extensive cv arrangement.

By that, I mean the paraphony is an option through midi or by controlling each oscillator individually by cv. The modulation outut is directly controlled by the mod wheel on a keyboard too.

Essentially, I'm thinking about potentially getting a Hades because I like the raw tone but can't utilise the extra's on the Erebus, so it seems wasteful to keep it around, plus I have a Mutable Instruments Anushri which sounds all kinds of good and covers lots of similar bases.

Hope that helped you make your mind up.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

They sell the Hades as a kit now I think?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I hadn't much time yet to play around with my NYX but the few moments I had with it put a fat grin on my face. The drones are eeeeeeepiiiiiiic. But it can do all sorts of sounds and I squeezed out fat basses easily.

My first dreadbox and I guess it's a keeper already.

It's a bit annoying that the lowest LFO rate is still very fast so you can't do looooooooooooong filter sweeps f.e. (which is a shame for a synth which demands to go into droney territory).

I can work around this with using the CV out of my Dominion 1 (these LFO's can go veeeeery slooooooow) so it's not a problem for me.

But it's something to consider.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Lost to the Void wrote:They sell the Hades as a kit now I think?
No they cancelled that cuz the demand was too much and completely overwhelmed them.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

For anyone interested, here's a quick NYX Jam. Drone is entirely Nyx, just a bit of deleay to give it a bit of stereo. The saw arpeggio is Dominion 1.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Mono-xID wrote:For anyone interested, here's a quick NYX Jam. Drone is entirely Nyx, just a bit of deleay to give it a bit of stereo. The saw arpeggio is Dominion 1.

That's lovely, dude. Reminds me of the more soundtrack side of synthwave. Stuff like OGRE or MAVS.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

So good Mono. The dominion sounds really nice. Saw one in a store once. They have a great look about them. What reverb are you using on these tracks?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

buffered wrote:So good Mono. The dominion sounds really nice. Saw one in a store once. They have a great look about them. What reverb are you using on these tracks?
Thanks man. I used NYX inbuilt reverb for the drone. The reverb on Nyx is a big part of it's sound imo.

The Dominion 1 Arp has a touch of Valhalla Shimmer.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Dominion One 8-)! Dreaming of one; it's on my list ;).