What hardware would you like to see, which doesn't exist?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
What hardware would you like to see, which doesn't exist?

Post by The_G »

Was thinking recently, what kinds of things would be useful or desirable to have in the studio or live, but aren't being made?

Could be something general, like a type of synthesizer, or could be something you want to see from a specific company (like an analog keybed synth from Roland).

nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: What hardware would you like to see, which doesn't exist

Post by nomadjames »

I would like an ideal eurorack case that was designed to fit as carryon luggage, wasn’t underpowered, and wasn’t insanely expensive.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I would also like Roland to put out a new anal log drum machine.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

I'll deviate... I'm going to build my own dream sample sequencer and I really want to recommend: http://www.axoloti.com Image

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

a cheap culture vulture

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

a granular synthesis box with step sequencer like the elektron stuff.
also a physical modelling synth also in the elektron type format.
but not from elektron.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Novation Mega Circuit with a large display, one mono analog synth like their bass station, 2 digital poly synths, 16 sampler tracks with sampling abilities and high end fx.. 8 in 8 out midi & cv in/outs, 16 channel midi sequencing and 2 channel cv sequencing and similar support to the Circuit.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

innovine wrote:a cheap culture vulture
Seriously.
I bought the mastering plus. I could have bought a car.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I would like Sonic Charge Microtonic as a hardware drum machine with 16 step sequencer.

A nice granular and wavetable synth, something like Alchemy and Granulator in a desktop box with a nice big display.

A live master bus box containing a stereo bus compressor, a nice 4 band para EQ (with a 30hz low cut), a limiter and some saturation.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

nomadjames wrote:I would like an ideal eurorack case that was designed to fit as carryon luggage, wasn’t underpowered, and wasn’t insanely expensive.
The Doepfer A100 P6 case fits as carry-on luggage (apart from Ryanair probably). Took in on a plane a couple of times. It's on the verge of being too heavy but that was never a problem. Also never experienced any issues with the power supply.

And then there's this, however sold out right now and not exactly inexpensive:
https://submodularsystems.com/shop/shadow

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

a new drum machine that doesn't try to sound like roland or elektron would be nice.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Mslwte wrote:a new drum machine that doesn't try to sound like roland or elektron would be nice.
Yeah man...I want a core drum machine, something that would be the rhythmic and percussive center of my rig. I'm willing to spend money on it, too. I just don't really like my options very much.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

You know what I would really like to see? A small, portable performance mixer that I could use to replace the Roland MX-1 in my portable rig...Something with more inputs, more sends, performance oriented, portable, and a driver that would let me easily track to a DAW.

That MX-1 is a horrible pain in the ass. Typical Roland implementation.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Chromaphone 2 (plus Sample Import) as a hardware box would be great. Or Aalto.

Would buy these in a minute.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

The holy grail - a good, cheap, well constructed, polyphonic analogue synthesizer. I am on the fence if I can consider my Minilogue as one. Again it appears that a software editor will come to the rescue to really open it up. For example you can microtune the oscillator via the editor but not the knobs. Hades you should really give editors a chance.

Otherwise, I want a drum machine with extremely good kits, good drum buss style FX, but all of the cool sequencer tricks of the classic machines like the RS7000. I don't want to wait 6 minutes for 64mb of samples to load and 6 minutes more to save, every time I use it.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

The clue about decent hardware is that you don't need editors... .
Every parameter needs to be accessible by as less as possible menu diving.

I have a RS7000 as well; I like it very much as a sequencer but the loading times are so sloooooooow.
In the future I will try a Digitakt together with the RS7000 when the midi bugs are gone.
I don't have the output expansion board for the RS so it's a bit the same (and limited) with only 2 outputs.

To get a bit more on topic; I would like a decent drumcomputer/drumsynth/sampler with build in sequencer and a decent amount of outputs that is easy to operate (as an alternative to the Digitakt). No audio over usb shit please!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I want an affordable midi controller with a classic full-scale 16/24 channel mixer layout. All the stuff available has like 8-12 channels at most, without the same amount of pots and is really expensive. Compare these two, how does this make any sense?

https://www.thomann.de/de/alto_live_1604.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/presonus_faderport_8.htm

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

WOLF! wrote:The clue about decent hardware is that you don't need editors... .
Every parameter needs to be accessible by as less as possible menu diving.
It sounds good in theory but in a way that's the other holy grail. Either you get something that's like what you describe but has very little overall functionality, or if an advanced interface is totally exposed on the front panel, it winds up way out of most people's budget range.

Editors are great when they complement an already half decent interface. I can get by with the interface of my Andromeda, Supernova 1/2 and Minilogue, but having good editors for all of them really rounds out their ability.

Gear where you can only dig in via an editor like the DX-7 is more frustrating, as is gear with no editor at all (unless the interface is absolutely perfect... I'd like to hear some of the best examples of these..)

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Mslwte wrote:a new drum machine that doesn't try to sound like roland or elektron would be nice.
Have fun with DSI Tempest. I think there are a lot of drum machines out there already which have their own sound (like these Boss things, or Nord Drum).

But Elektron just nailed it with the sequencer which is a crucial part when programming drums.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

dubdub wrote:I want an affordable midi controller with a classic full-scale 16/24 channel mixer layout. All the stuff available has like 8-12 channels at most, without the same amount of pots and is really expensive. Compare these two, how does this make any sense?

https://www.thomann.de/de/alto_live_1604.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/presonus_faderport_8.htm
Well, the Presonus is overpriced certainly, and the Alto did look cheap for what you're getting.

But putting in motorised faders, rotary encoders, LED rings, displays and multicoloured LEDs is a lot more expensive than potentiometers, cheap faders and op amps and so on for an analogue mixer. Even the DSP effects on the Alto will most likely be a single chip bought from Alesis and dropped into the circuit. No tricky development time required.

Plus the fact that a midi controller will continue to need software updates as bugs are discovered and new features are requested so development and support costs are ongoing. Most analogue mixers, especially cheaper ones, are likely to be based on topologies that are decades old.

Have a look at the midibox projects where people have made the kind of device you're describing, then start to estimate the prices. Quickly you'll see that the costs become huge. For example, find a good quality motorised fader at €60 a piece then multiply by 16.