Elektron Digitone digital polysynthh

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Elektron Digitone digital polysynthh

Post by Mono-xID »

Macca wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:I'm getting old. No time for half-assed gear.
Why didn't you like it?
I don't have mine yet. Delivery is delayed 'til March 16th. I just wrote in reply to the already happening crashes.

If my unit is crashing on the first day I'll sell it immediately. If not, I'll see what you can do with it. I always wanted Abletons Operator in a box and the Digibone comes close from what I've heard and seen so far.

I'm just not that convinced of Elektron as a company because of all the bullshit they do lately.

But yeah, if it works I'll keep it I guess. Synth wise it's the most appealing box the've done imo.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Mono-xID wrote:I'm getting old. No time for half-assed gear.
Yeah I hate shitty coke, too.

Retard speed, lol.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

So this little gem arrived 2 days ago and though I didn't had that much time to dive deep into it, I can easily say that it's Elektrons most interesting synth imo. It's really powerful and I came up with interesting sounds within a few minutes which I never would have programmed on any other synth.

It really is kind of Operator in a box with some extra bells and whistles. So it's exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly I really dig the form factor and it's stunning how much you can do with a box of such size. While it was cool to sit in the couch with the. RYTM, its even cooler and more comfortable with the Digitone.

I'm seriously impressed by it and it really was the missing link in my set-up.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I thought of studio set-ups being creationist rather than darwinist after chasing the elusive missing link for a while... apparently the missing link does exist!?

It's hard to tell the difference between GAS and identifying a potential candidate for the missing link.

Abyss Divide
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Abyss Divide »

Mono-xID wrote:So this little gem arrived 2 days ago and though I didn't had that much time to dive deep into it, I can easily say that it's Elektrons most interesting synth imo. It's really powerful and I came up with interesting sounds within a few minutes which I never would have programmed on any other synth.

It really is kind of Operator in a box with some extra bells and whistles. So it's exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly I really dig the form factor and it's stunning how much you can do with a box of such size. While it was cool to sit in the couch with the. RYTM, its even cooler and more comfortable with the Digitone.

I'm seriously impressed by it and it really was the missing link in my set-up.
I also got the Digitone and was quite impressed at first. Then once I started digging into it I started realizing the limitations. I was about to write a long post on Elektronauts but I didn't get around to finishing it as was busy with stuff. I guess my biggest problem is that you can't really have a fine tuning of the operators - it's strictly the ratios they have pre-set. I am way more into fucked up atonal sounds than bells and chimes so not happy with this limitation. You can of course use the detune parameter but it's got a limited range of sounds. Also, the limitation on the tunings renders modulation of these parameters with LFO-s rather useless - it all ends up sounding like a gameboy if you can't hear the values in between 0.25 to 0.50 to 1.
Then, I also think that the envelopes for modulating the operators are a bit poor. They could have added at least a few more points. One of the best things about FM is creating rich evolving sounds and when your envelopes have just a few inflection points what can you do so much. But this is not as problematic for me as the first issue.
I am still using it as the fm sound is very crispy and cuts through the mix very well. But for a £600 box I think maybe they can do a bit better. I am hoping for an OS update, as it often happens with Elektron, will introduce other functionalities.
It did crash the fery first time i turned it on, which was a bit scary. But ever since I have not had any issues.

Reading back on the more general Elektron discussion: I think it gets a bit gettin used to the workflow. After furst getting the Analog 4, now probably 5 years ago?...and then progressively acquiring the Rytm and the Octatrack, I have become completely used to the workflow. There is an endless world to explore with each of these boxes. It is a bit fiddly and there is menu clicking so it can be a bit slow. But most of that for performance practice you can overcome with pre-programming macros and things like that. But yes it can be a definite mindfuck to get used and be prepared that in the process you will lose some work and will be pissed off and will want to throw them all through the window :)))

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I do fancy an fm synth and been considering this although maybe dip into something second hand not sure how to go yet. Will keep an eye on the post. Can't believe the ratios are preset that seems like a bit of a miss to me as it's not just that I'd want.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Get a preenfm if you want a good FM synth
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Cheers Steve will look into that

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Abyss Divide wrote: I also got the Digitone and was quite impressed at first. Then once I started digging into it I started realizing the limitations. I was about to write a long post on Elektronauts but I didn't get around to finishing it as was busy with stuff. I guess my biggest problem is that you can't really have a fine tuning of the operators
Did you ever get round to posting on the Elektron boards? I’d be interested to know wether any of the staff replied to your issues. As ya prob know Simon, the dude behind the Digitone is posting regularly, so you could maybe get some direct answers.

Abyss Divide
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Abyss Divide »

Vorlis wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm
Abyss Divide wrote: I also got the Digitone and was quite impressed at first. Then once I started digging into it I started realizing the limitations. I was about to write a long post on Elektronauts but I didn't get around to finishing it as was busy with stuff. I guess my biggest problem is that you can't really have a fine tuning of the operators
Did you ever get round to posting on the Elektron boards? I’d be interested to know wether any of the staff replied to your issues. As ya prob know Simon, the dude behind the Digitone is posting regularly, so you could maybe get some direct answers.
Hey, sorry I took a while to get back to this. It's been pretty busy on all fronts so not much time for forum writing unfortunately. Will do over the course of next week(s).