Tips on decent techno production tutorials? (paid or free)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: Tips on decent techno production tutorials? (paid or fre

Post by nomadjames »

Lost to the Void wrote:What on earth do they teach you in these degrees?
The amount of guys I`ve spoken to who come out of music production degrees and don`t even know how to EQ or mix (not pointing at you specifically here) is weird.
One girl I know came out of a degree, then did a masters, and she was asking me how compression works. I was so stunned I just couldn`t answer.
And now she teaches production at a fucking college!!
As far as audio engineering, I would hope they would at least teach you how to use a big console, a compressor, and let you have time to go in there and mix projects both recording and front of house...but that's just me.

I have no idea about a "production" school...
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Shift_24
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Shift_24 »

I agree with some of the previously answers and recommend basically this forum. When i try to learn by tutorials or courses in video, i usually find them too slow in doing things. Therefore I prefer posts where you can read it quickly and try to do it in your daw.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Maybe try Dance Music Production. Shitty name but the book he wrote is very good and I heard good things about the video tutorials as well. I think Hades recommended them here before.
https://www.dancemusicproduction.com/

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

You know who has some great YouTube content

https://www.youtube.com/user/junkiexlofficial

Some quality stuff in there

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Lost to the Void wrote:
monot wrote:
The amount of guys I`ve spoken to who come out of music production degrees and don`t even know how to EQ or mix (not pointing at you specifically here) is weird.
One girl I know came out of a degree, then did a masters, and she was asking me how compression works. I was so stunned I just couldn`t answer.
That sounds about right, seems like a common thing now.

ekwipt wrote:You know who has some great YouTube content

https://www.youtube.com/user/junkiexlofficial

Some quality stuff in there
Junkie XL? Dude is a legend

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

There is alot of truth in that. These degrees in sound engineering or music tech give you an overview of the many areas of audio related topics. Something like a 3 year degree, split into 18 modules (6 per year). MOdules could include sysnthesis and sampling, music business, live sound, digital audio, post production, studio techniques etc.

You then study earch of these kind of bite sized modules so 3 at a time in different classes totalling 8-14 hours a week at university and then are meant to delve deeper into these topics and do homework/ projects until hand in at the end of the semester.

Many people coast through, you only need 40 percent marks overall in the 1st year to make it into the 2nd year. Your grades from year 2 and 3 count towards your final awarded grade year one doesnt count toward it.

My degree inadvertantly helped me movew away from village life and working on building sites and into the city, it gave me access to decent recording studios at a time where equipment was expensive and software alone was like 700 quid. Most people i met were doing a degree becasue they had a dream of working in studios, wanted to buy time to create music and or just thought it was cool. I did learn alot of cool shit at university though, we had tape multitracks of some mowtown tracks and some pretty accomplished industry peeps doing leactures and guest lectures/ demonstrations. My uni was sponsored by native instruments also.

I enjoyed my degree, however I wish I had got a runners job instead of going to university. I came out with around 26k of debt and still started at the bottom of the ladder on 11k a year as a runner not even an assistant. Its one of the only industries that seems to pay graduates shit all with a degree.

So I get why some graduates dont really know their unity gain from their soft knee, they have been funneled through a pretty rigid academically focused syllabus most of the time.