Sonic academy Kick 2 Or whatever

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
juodas
Indirection
Sonic academy Kick 2 Or whatever

Post by juodas »

So i was checking youtube, for tutorials and other life stuff, and i got an ad in front of me, ''Nick Romeo Kick 2'' or i dont know. it's looks nice and quite comfortable, does any one of you owns it, and does it worth that kind of money? I'm still using old fashion way which is described in archives in this forum. However opinions about this preset would be nice :)

RWise
durchfall
Re: Sonic academy Kick 2 Or whatever

Post by RWise »

I remember watching some videos on the first KICK plugin he came out with. The shaping controls was quite nice as you could really fine tune the tonal aspect of the kicks and choose the top click but overall i found it too clinical for my liking.

Seems great for EDM/Psytrance kick stuff but i like abit of rawness and grit to my kicks.

Give me a 909 with some filters,saturation and compression and im good to go :D
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Yeah I know, I mean it's just everything in one place. On ableton you just need to make audio effect rack, i'm just loving it :D, using free royalty drum machine samples and good to go as you say :D

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

The Nicky Romero thing put me off it until I heard amazing reviews. I used the free trial of it and tbh, I thought it was really good.

I had also heard other people on this forum say it's quite good. It's really versatile and as far as I can tell can create pretty damn good kicks.

Another one to look at is the EKS one.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Something pretty similar is Punchbox by D16. Don't know which one is better but I like Punchbox a lot.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Kick 2 is really good.

You have 3 slots to layer over the top of the synth so add some of your own samples for transients/character and you're away. The EQ and FX are decent for getting something sounding pretty good and the drag & drop to wav means you can shape it further in your DAW.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'm using it, too. Not always, but it's nice. I never leave it unprocessed and I don't use the compression or distortion unit.
:geek:

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

i use it. it's easy to pitch it and easy to manipulate the ADSR to get the length and sound how you want it. like others, i don't use its comp, distortion or eq.

asscetic
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by asscetic »

I use it and like it a lot - thanks to the way the envelopes are displayed and controlled you can get amazing control over the decay of both the actual body of the kick and the transient/ mid layers on top, which can be very useful for mixing. Having said that, for slower more spacious stuff I find it quite hard to get that 'analog' character that you hear in a lot of techno kicks - not sure whether this is due to the sound of the filters or how I'm using it.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

I’m really liking Wave Alchemy Evolution, it’s all their own samples and it would be great if you could add your own but it has a similar 3 layer system but for all of the drum sounds. Great in built sequencer and delay/reverb. Samples are well thought out and sorted in the slots. Parameter locks per step and they are working on polyrhythms per sample bank as well. NKS ready for Native Instruments users as well.

https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/evolution/pid182/

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

D16's Punchbox is worth checking out.

http://d16.pl/punchbox

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

collide wrote:D16's Punchbox is worth checking out.

God damn. The amount of shit in that plugin!!!!

I mean, how much trouble making decent kick drums are people having that something with that amount of crap on it is needed???

I'm always up for creative tools, but bloody hell, that seems like the throw enough mud at the wall and hope some of it sticks method of kick drum creation.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

can make a decent kick with only a click and a vocoder

thebearmanbear
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by thebearmanbear »

Techno tends to have more of a primal bottom end and i think something that is great for that is self oscillating filters being triggered by short impulses of whatever.i think in my own opinion at least you'd be better served by something like The Drop than KICK2 for making Techno anyway.i also don't really subscribe to that "all drums are pitch enveloped sine waves"mode of thought though,so there maybe an element of bias......

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

thebearmanbear wrote:Techno tends to have more of a primal bottom end and i think something that is great for that is self oscillating filters being triggered by short impulses of whatever.i think in my own opinion at least you'd be better served by something like The Drop than KICK2 for making Techno anyway.i also don't really subscribe to that "all drums are pitch enveloped sine waves"mode of thought though,so there maybe an element of bias......
Isn't a self oscillating filter essentially a sine wave? :?:

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Lost to the Void wrote:
collide wrote:D16's Punchbox is worth checking out.

God damn. The amount of shit in that plugin!!!!

I mean, how much trouble making decent kick drums are people having that something with that amount of crap on it is needed???

I'm always up for creative tools, but bloody hell, that seems like the throw enough mud at the wall and hope some of it sticks method of kick drum creation.
:lol:

It indeed is a bit toooooo much.

I still like Drumspillage2 a lot. Wish there would be further development.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I just got WA Evolution. Haven't completely figured it out but it seems pretty versatile. One weird thing is, as far as I can tell, you have to stop playing a loop if you want to edit one drum. Maybe I've got that wrong, but it's an annoyance for my workflow.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

The_G wrote:I just got WA Evolution. Haven't completely figured it out but it seems pretty versatile. One weird thing is, as far as I can tell, you have to stop playing a loop if you want to edit one drum. Maybe I've got that wrong, but it's an annoyance for my workflow.
Definitely not man, I’m not sure what you’re doing? Also you can run it inside NI NKS, it’s mapped to the kontrollers and you can browse and save presets through the NKS Software.

Are you using Kontakt paid or free?

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

ekwipt wrote:
The_G wrote:I just got WA Evolution. Haven't completely figured it out but it seems pretty versatile. One weird thing is, as far as I can tell, you have to stop playing a loop if you want to edit one drum. Maybe I've got that wrong, but it's an annoyance for my workflow.
Definitely not man, I’m not sure what you’re doing? Also you can run it inside NI NKS, it’s mapped to the kontrollers and you can browse and save presets through the NKS Software.

Kontakt 5. I figured it out btw.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

The_G wrote:
ekwipt wrote:

Kontakt 5. I figured it out btw.
Nice one