Jai Paul ducking and fade techniques?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
myname
Interact. Don't Spam.
Jai Paul ducking and fade techniques?

Post by myname »

Hey so there are a few elements of Jai Paul's production technique that I'd be interested in imitating and wondered if you guys had any idea about the best way to go around them. (using ableton)

The first is there are sudden pauses in the music where there is nothing playing or just one single instrument noise. (like in Jasmine - but really most of his songs)
I have experimented with muting all other channels with automation and then bringing them back straight away but it sounds really unnatural and is such a fucking effort.
Have been wondering if I could do some automation on the master? Or some clever set up i could have with a gate?

Cheers!

Resin
Pig
Re: Jai Paul ducking and fade techniques?

Post by Resin »

I just had a quick listen (sorry, bad that track is bloody awful) and to me the fades do not sound natural at all. Anyway, there's your answer: use fades. If you have a controller with faders you could record the automation, otherwise you gotta draw it. If you're lazy use group automation, but it will sound better or more "natural" if every channel uses it's own automation curve. Or if it's possible in Abelton, you could generate clip fades.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

No that track is bloody great! (I know it's wrong in all kinds of parameters - but the songwriting itself is so extremely sublime that it shines so hard!)

What I think is going on is, that a lot of the sounds have been recorded (like the guitar) and then he uses them like samples. what happens then is that there's a room in each (before it's processed with a reverb or something), so when you stop the sample's playback the entire room stops. It's one of those things that in a way is bad engineering but also is a part of the aesthetic in some genres. Dizzee Rascal does it a lot. So if you resample your sounds and plays them back as samples, you can make them stop quite instantly :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah by "using them as samples" what you actually mean is arranged in audio, as in conventional old style mixing.
Tracks (channels) are recorded as tracks. Then mixed and edited, so it's easy to chop, fade, reprocess etc.
Nothing odd about this at all, it's how things have kinda always been done.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah by "using them as samples" what you actually mean is arranged in audio, as in conventional old style mixing.
Tracks (channels) are recorded as tracks. Then mixed and edited, so it's easy to chop, fade, reprocess etc.
Nothing odd about this at all, it's how things have kinda always been done.
Well it probably came out a bit mushy. What I meant is that when you sample another track. The processing and reverberation on that track is part of the sample. So when the sample stops, the room of the sample cuts out as well. This is not something you usually aim for in conventional old style mixing :P

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Erm, ok
New Shit

myname
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by myname »

Amøbe wrote:No that track is bloody great! (I know it's wrong in all kinds of parameters - but the songwriting itself is so extremely sublime that it shines so hard!)

What I think is going on is, that a lot of the sounds have been recorded (like the guitar) and then he uses them like samples. what happens then is that there's a room in each (before it's processed with a reverb or something), so when you stop the sample's playback the entire room stops. It's one of those things that in a way is bad engineering but also is a part of the aesthetic in some genres. Dizzee Rascal does it a lot. So if you resample your sounds and plays them back as samples, you can make them stop quite instantly :)

Cheers for the reply. Glad you agree about the track pretty damn original and alive sounding track imo!
Just experimenting with what you said and getting better results! :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I quite like it. It's very coffee shop hipster, but yeah, nice.
Just record audio as stems and cut out sections where you want pauses. Use audio clip fades to make the cuts a little more natural. You could also, reverse sections, repeat them, repitch them....
Old school production editing.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Listened to a good bit of his stuff online last night. Really cool. There's lots of good stuff out there that's all too easy to miss.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah, realised the jasmine track is on the GTA 5 soundtrack.
I've beaten many prostitutes to death to the sound of Jai Paul. Perfect music for it.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah, realised the jasmine track is on the GTA 5 soundtrack.
I've beaten many prostitutes to death to the sound of Jai Paul. Perfect music for it.
in my days I just dealt with the sluts with a wip in Double Dragon I/II/III
or later on I had a thing for the grooving zombies in Carmageddon II

I would say maybe it's time to update myself,
but I honestly can't afford to lose time gaming,
and it's so addictive... :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa