MODEL 1

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
suppressor
Alf Garnett
MODEL 1

Post by suppressor »

I just watched a video of ANNA mixing on the new MODEL 1.
It looks pretty awesome and intuitive with some great features different from the standard pioneer gear i'm used to.

Have any of you used one?
Is it worth the 2500?

Is there any other mixers out there that have new features that are different from the standard?

https://playdifferently.org/model-1/

youtu.be/DHM25rIVQyI

nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: MODEL 1

Post by nomadjames »

Thought they were more than that.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

I wouldnt pay the money for one. The price tag is a big reason it flopped as well. I was so underwhelmed when i realised that all youre getting is some fancy filter controls pretty much...

Give me a Xone 92 any day.. Less than half the price of the model 1 as well.

No brainer.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

RWise wrote:I wouldnt pay the money for one. The price tag is a big reason it flopped as well. I was so underwhelmed when i realised that all youre getting is some fancy filter controls pretty much...

No brainer.
Have you heard the Model 1? I have some experience with high end DJ mixers and let's just say that once you hear those it's hard to go back...

Dunno if this relates to Model 1 specifically though, I have no experience with one. Anyways, there's a local underground club which has an E&S DJR400 and a nice A&H and I MUCH rather play with the DJR400, given the chance...
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The Model 1 is obviousy aimed at clubs, not at peoples bedrooms, hence the price. That new Function 1 mixer also seems nice and it's even more expensive. I like Xone but the Model 1 layout seems really nice to me. And of course, as Barfunkel has said, the Xones are not exactly hi-fi mixers, I mean just look at their price and then all the features and shit that's in there, they can't be.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

RWise wrote:I wouldnt pay the money for one. The price tag is a big reason it flopped as well. I was so underwhelmed when i realised that all youre getting is some fancy filter controls pretty much...

No brainer.
did it flop? it was only ever for a very niche market, like how high end rotary mixers are for a niche market. i've seen a few people mention they have one in interviews, but yeah they aren't common.
like McClaren cars, it is more of a engineering project than a commercial project. i doubt many top tier djs would buy one for themself in order to be comfortable with it and then ask for it on their rider. chris liebing got his for nowt as he was a tester/richies mate.

UntzUntz
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by UntzUntz »

I'd love to have one for my hybrid live sets, but I just couldn't justify the $3,400 USD. I never played on one, but I setup an ableton rack and controller to duplicate the functionally to get a feel for it. The LPF + "Contour" EQ is certainly novel, but could do with a bypass switch... too many knobs to zero out quickly. I have heard one, and it's got that creamy A&H analog sound I love (its made by A&H). I ended up with a xone:PX5 and couldn't be happier. That 6th channel and second filter would be nice, though not nice enough to justify an extra $2,200! The 5 switchable USB channels more than make up for it. Cheers!

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I'd buy one if I could afford it, but I just love expensive stuff, lol. I like the drive per channel part. Very cool, would like to see that elsewhere. I would miss a crossfader, TBH.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

lauren
Pig

Post by lauren »

do you actually need a mixer that does all this stupid fancy extra stuff? rather hear a banging set on a shitty plastic dj controller than a shit set on a ten grand setup

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

lauren wrote:do you actually need a mixer that does all this stupid fancy extra stuff? rather hear a banging set on a shitty plastic dj controller than a shit set on a ten grand setup
Why do professional instrumentalists play on expensive, hand-made instruments worth thousands, rather than cheaper, yet still functional consumer options? Obviously, one can play or make music with anything but the notion that one ought to not even try to produce something better because "good enough" is enough is ridiculous.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Stradivarius are stupid

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

dubdub wrote:
lauren wrote:do you actually need a mixer that does all this stupid fancy extra stuff? rather hear a banging set on a shitty plastic dj controller than a shit set on a ten grand setup
Why do professional instrumentalists play on expensive, hand-made instruments worth thousands, rather than cheaper, yet still functional consumer options? Obviously, one can play or make music with anything but the notion that one ought to not even try to produce something better because "good enough" is enough is ridiculous.
True... Kinda.
But that's musicians you are talking about.

DJs play fucking records.
More complicated DJ sets sound mostly like wankery whenever I hear it.
You don't need to justify your job and be seen to be doing more than you are, just play interesting music, stop fucking about.
Liebing sets for example, guy is chopping shit to pieces, makes it sound unbelievably boring.
Just play good tunes.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

But guys like downloadedforRichie and Liebing are going out of their way to add a bunch of unessecary shit to their setups. This is just a DJ mixer and all the additions it makes seem entirely reasonable and relevant to regular DJing to me. It's not like it has a fucking flanger build it. I was mostly contesting the idea that there is no point in building better sounding mixers with more features because the existing ones are enough. I always thought it was kind of baffling that clubs can have these insanely expensive soundsystems and then everything goes through these prosumer-grade mixers.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Most DJ mixers lack in sound quality. I don't expect this to be any better, it just seems to have more features.
Rotaries tend to have a better signal path.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:Most DJ mixers lack in sound quality. I don't expect this to be any better, it just seems to have more features.
For the price I would hope it has a better signal path :lol:

According to reviews, the new Formula sound / Funktion 1 mixer at least supposedly has a better signal path than Allen & Heath.

nacorcb
Face Hugger

Post by nacorcb »

I hate A&H mixers so I guess I would hate this unnecessary mixer also.

Most DJs are deaf SOTBs anyways.

Give me a RANE MP2015 over this gimmick for Peachy Hawpins wannabies anyday.

lauren
Pig

Post by lauren »

dubdub wrote:
i never said good enough, i said better - subjective opinion aside on what makes someone good or bad, expensive gear wont make you a better player/dj/whatever. besides, price isn't equal to quality. you can't argue that some rich kid with those solid gold technica's is the best dj in the world because they cost the most.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Most DJ mixers lack in sound quality. I don't expect this to be any better, it just seems to have more features.
For the price I would hope it has a better signal path :lol:

According to reviews, the new Formula sound / Funktion 1 mixer at least supposedly has a better signal path than Allen & Heath.
People rave about that Formula Sound over here, a LOT. Haven't had the chance to play with one yet unfortunately.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/