New samples packs for techno music.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: New samples packs for techno music.

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:
A piano is a preset, a violin is a preset, a clarinet is a preset,...
Yet people use them all the time, and have been using these sounds for centuries.
It's still the producer (composer) who puts in the notes that this sound eventually gets to play.
Problem is a lot of producers are musically... urm... I'm searching for a gentle expression here...
I would say under developed, but in quite a few cases they sound almost musically retarded. :|
And yet there are enough tutorials out there that can help them, but somehow it's just too much effort for them, so they never bother.
(just like learning sound design to make your own sounds or making their own loops is too much effort)

But I also think we as electronic musicians are over-focused on "making our own sounds",
while there are already tons of great sounds out there.
The hoover sound is an alpha juno preset, just to name a single example that pops up in my head.
People do what they wanna do with their hobbies or even jobs of course, but it's sometimes baffling how much techno producers focus on the sounds instead of the music. Not saying a record doesn't need to be well produced to succeed these days, just that often modern techno sounds like the producer just put the first notes and rhythms he could think of, in 20 minutes, then spends 20 hours polishing the sounds. Of course sometimes magic happens quickly, but usually it's a good idea to (imo) spend some time making the rhythms are funky and the melodies and chord progressions giving the track a musical identity, instead of just being a techno beat 101 with a delayed 1-note synth sound.

When I think of my 50 or 100 favorite techno tracks very few of them are loopy DJ tools that are well-produced but lack a musical identity. I don't mean every track should be complex (for a techno track) like Knights of the Jaguar, but I think adding something that makes it stand out a bit isn't a bad idea. As an example, the much-loathed I Wanna Go Bang by Bjarki wouldn't have 3,5 million views on youtube without those lyrics that make it instantly recognizable and makes it easy to remember.

Then again, I know people who don't even WANT to write a track that stand out, all they want is to make well produced DJ tools. They have every right to do so of course, but I sometimes still wonder...
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote: People do what they wanna do with their hobbies or even jobs of course, but it's sometimes baffling how much techno producers focus on the sounds instead of the music. Not saying a record doesn't need to be well produced to succeed these days, just that often modern techno sounds like the producer just put the first notes and rhythms he could think of, in 20 minutes, then spends 20 hours polishing the sounds.
:D
Absolutely.
I got exactly that feeling when I listen 80% of all the so called big room techno.
(actually, got that feeling with a lot of other techno as well, but it's most obvious in the big room techno genre)
Sure, nice work on the sound. But you turn off the track, and what do you remember from it ? Fuck all !
No decent riff or any kind of melodic theme (even if it's extremely small),
not even a proper groove.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Someone mentioned above that most of the times the loops are totally overproduced so therefore almost unuseable.
I'd like to mention that a LOT of synths have presets that are horrible as well.
They are usually over-done. Originally, presets were designed to impress the possible buyer that was checking out the synth in the local music shop.
Now with the allmighty internet, I guess they're usually meant to make stupid demo's that sound "powerful" and "in your face" and blablabla.
It's hard to come across subtle presets that you can use instantly.

However, I have the impression things are slowly changing, and more and more synths are coming with better presets.
I always said Omni has some of the best presets I ever heard anywhere (I even saw Carl Craig mention that in an interview somewhere), for example,
but then again, with so many of them (5000 ? 6000 ?), there are enough horrible ones in there as well.

I have no trouble or guilty feeling or code of honor or whatever that would make me feel like shit if I use a preset,
and though I made tons of sounds from total scratch
(and still go back to many of them simply because I know them so well so I can also quickly redesign them to what I have in mind),
I find myself almost never making sounds from scratch any more nowadays.
But I think that's just because I have the feeling I'm doing the sculpting of sounds in the post processing, in the part where you add FX, or resample shit,
or cut 'n slice, or whatever it is you want to do with a sound.
The building parts of a synth barely interest me any more, but the part that comes after the synth interests me greatly.

But for anyone in doubt about learning sound design or not :
I think if you properly learn sound design and understand it, it will be a BIG help for handling all kinds of sound issues/situations/whatever you want to call it in your production, so it's not just for making your own sounds that it's helpful.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

RWise wrote:
nacorcb wrote:For some people, music is an art. For others, it is just a matter of bussiness.

And for most of the mainstream public music is nothing but entertainment, they dont care about the creative process.

But who cares? Some people get rich and famous with premade loops? Good for them, at least they are not hiring ghost producers... mostly.
The true artists and creators will be able to tell apart the people who solely make music with samples and loops. Using 8 bar loops can only get you so far...

But like you touched on, in this industry theres 2 types of people. Artists and entertainers.
so if someone would take a whole existing track, pitch it down 2 semi-tones or so,
and then just add a simple kick and hihat, and afterwards release the track on a well known label, calling it his own...

Would you call this guy a true artist and a true creator, or just an entertainer,
or perhaps nothing but a straight up thief for who it's all just a simple matter of bussiness ?
:?:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote: There really is no barrier to what you can achieve (pep talk time) musically, if you have some natural musical talent (important) and the desire to learn, AND the committment to practice.
This pretty much sums up the whole discussion for me.
Putting in the effort.
If you use loops in a creative way, and you use presets to write wonderful music with them,
I have no problem with it at all.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I guess my take on loops is: they make you lazy, and if you approach music as a lazy person, you are going to make lazy music. But most music is lazy music. I mean, most pop music producers nowadays just throw something together with Kontakt libraries and Omnisphere where all the effects and processing are ready to go. Then they get a famous singer to put vocals on it and pay a professional engineer to melodyne that shit and generally fix everything up. And then there's all that bland as hell, cookie cutter club stuff on beatport. Loops and bongos.

That said, I don't really care how people do things. I just don't want to hear lazy music. And I don't want to make lazy music, so I try to learn how to do things the hard way, like all y'all.

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

What is actually the deal with vengeance? A few years ago I downloaded (yes, pirated) 1 or 2 of their sample CDs because I read the name everywhere. I was shocked that this stuff was total and utter crap! Most samples are obviously ripped of from existing tracks and many of them in a particularly awful way (bass rumble underneath a hihat sample?). On a side note, as I view it it's totally ok to pirate that crap since it's just a collection of very badly stolen sounds.

nacorcb
Face Hugger

Post by nacorcb »

Hades wrote:
RWise wrote:
nacorcb wrote:For some people, music is an art. For others, it is just a matter of bussiness.

And for most of the mainstream public music is nothing but entertainment, they dont care about the creative process.

But who cares? Some people get rich and famous with premade loops? Good for them, at least they are not hiring ghost producers... mostly.
The true artists and creators will be able to tell apart the people who solely make music with samples and loops. Using 8 bar loops can only get you so far...

But like you touched on, in this industry theres 2 types of people. Artists and entertainers.
so if someone would take a whole existing track, pitch it down 2 semi-tones or so,
and then just add a simple kick and hihat, and afterwards release the track on a well known label, calling it his own...

Would you call this guy a true artist and a true creator, or just an entertainer,
or perhaps nothing but a straight up thief for who it's all just a simple matter of bussiness ?
:?:
I would call him Mihalis Safras :mrgreen:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Barfunkel wrote:
winston wrote:
Slam had a track which used an Arp preset pattern and synth sound from some vst. it appeared in a house song too. i'll see if i can find it
pretty sure it is this one if i remember rightly
youtu.be/nF9vhYtOWvg

but there is skill in doing the rest of the track, and they obviously can write a tune. even if others help them out
I've heard that same arpeggio on several tracks, always wondered what synth it's from.
Someone told me it's from one of the Nord Leads.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nacorcb wrote: I would call him Mihalis Safras :mrgreen:
so you have no idea who I'm referring to ?
Because it's certainly not mr Mihalis Safras
(just reading up on the story, I never heard of Tennan nor Mihalis Safra and the stolen loop sounds quite boring to me tbh, no offense)

If anyone else knows who I'm referring to
(not that's it's very hard to figure out at all),
please hold your words for a moment,
I'd like to hear RWise reply to this. :) ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ok, just read up on the Mihalis Safras story (and how he stole from several people),
honestly...
so stupid, so lazy, so dumb,...

and most likely people hardly care at all and will forget all about it in just a few weeks time...
ugh, the superficial nature of a lot of people that like electronic music... :shock: :?
:cry: :cry:

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

nacorcb wrote: I would call him Mihalis Safras :mrgreen:
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Mattias, I got it here. Been traveling, haven’t had a chance to check it yet.

The same situation recently occurred with a bass music guy who’s name elludes me. He was stealing whole tunes, pitching them, and writing a lead or hat pattern over them and releasing the shit!!!
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Pitching them up?

New genre: Mid Music :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

nacorcb
Face Hugger

Post by nacorcb »

Hades wrote:ok, just read up on the Mihalis Safras story (and how he stole from several people),
honestly...
so stupid, so lazy, so dumb,...

and most likely people hardly care at all and will forget all about it in just a few weeks time...
ugh, the superficial nature of a lot of people that like electronic music... :shock: :?
:cry: :cry:
Absolutely.

But f*** it, that is not gonna stop real artist to continue producing real music. It will be buried under the pile or crap that is electronic music this days, but it will still be there.

BTW unfortunately I am not one of those artist. I wish I were!

Back into the topic, I would suggest Rampage (the OP) to check latest Audiotent sample pack:

https://www.audiotent.com/samples/kostas-maskalides/

Modern Techno sounds. Generic but straight to the point. These guys of Audiotent also seems to be nice ones, they offer free tips, tutorials and sounds from time to time.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nacorcb wrote: Absolutely.

But f*** it, that is not gonna stop real artist to continue producing real music. It will be buried under the pile or crap that is electronic music this days, but it will still be there.
You know what I found the most cringe-worthy when I read some of the articles about this ?
When the interviewer at some point said :
"but hey, I downloaded your file, and it wasn't named properly,
obviously mr Safras has so many files on his computer, it's normal for him to make a mistake"
:shock:
HELL NOOOOO !!!
It could happen, yes,
(it means you're not a very organized producer and you don't knw your own clips very well, but yeah...)
but when that happens, you man up and admit to having made a mistake.
It's really that simple.
As soon as people who did that cheap shit try and find obvious excuses to explain their theft,
it makes it all the more obvious they were deliberately stealing, and not just by accident using a file they "happened to stumble upon".

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nacorcb wrote: Back into the topic, I would suggest Rampage (the OP) to check latest Audiotent sample pack:

Modern Techno sounds. Generic but straight to the point. These guys of Audiotent also seems to be nice ones, they offer free tips, tutorials and sounds from time to time.
damn man, just had a listen to the whole demo and the seperate parts...
40+ € for that stuff ???

nacorcb
Face Hugger

Post by nacorcb »

Hades wrote:
nacorcb wrote: Back into the topic, I would suggest Rampage (the OP) to check latest Audiotent sample pack:

damn man, just had a listen to the whole demo and the seperate parts...
40+ € for that stuff ???
Yep, as I said, generic stuff. It is expensive, but useful; if OP wants to produce that kind of Techno of course.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

winston wrote:
Slam had a track which used an Arp preset pattern and synth sound from some vst. it appeared in a house song too. i'll see if i can find it
pretty sure it is this one if i remember rightly
youtu.be/nF9vhYtOWvg

but there is skill in doing the rest of the track, and they obviously can write a tune. even if others help them out
Admittedly I just skipped through it as I didn't really like it, but what exactly is the original content there? Those gated strings? The rhythm section seems ok but nothing mind blowing, and if he did create that himself I don't think it would be anything noteworthy. Not getting your point here at all, unless you're being sarcastic and I'm too tired to get it....
how far do you want to go

suppressor
Alf Garnett

Post by suppressor »

So i'm a huge fan of creating my own sequences any basslines or synth lines.
Then I tend to use a mix of my own percussion recordings and samples.

I'm just brought the seq pack from Mattias page so i'm interested in how you go about making original stuff from pre made sequences...
Do you cut them up and resample them, change pitches? or just create a track around them? Im very intrigued as someone who
makes their tracks from scratch every time...