Any of you guys use an MPC?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Any of you guys use an MPC?

Post by nomadjames »

I just got an MPC 1000, so now I have a computerless setup as well. Sequencing with the MPC, running into a Roland MX-1, controlling a Korg Monologue, Volca Kick, and OP-1. Still working all the bugs out with the MPC...I'm a total noob to them.

I learned a pretty insane amount from this video below. I love how he is using the audio editor and just recording the output, instead of transferring digital files...Super fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys15ZGntgyY

If anyone else is using one and interested, let's start a discussion. If you got any good threads on the subject anywhere, let me know.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Any of you guys use an MPC?

Post by Lost to the Void »

An MPC is a computer.
But yes I use one. MPC Live. I think the architecture still uses classic MPC methodology but with all the addition and ease of a bigger screen, and multiple sequencing methods.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Technically it's certainly a computer. I guess any sampler with a screen would be a computer. If you want to get down to brass tacks. What's your draw to the newer MPCs? I found the 1000 to be a pretty cantankerous contraption. I went through 3 hard drives and none of them would format. Finally got a 64GB micro SD card in a CF adapter to work.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

My draw to the new MPC?
It's basically a DAW in a box.
I've installed 250gb SSD to it, so I have access to my sample library.
Arranging complex patterns can be done on a piano roll. Chords!!! So easy.
Step sequencers for drums.
Eqs, filters, unlimited channels.

It's the hub for my live setup, controlling my other hardware, it could easily become the hub to my studio setup, but I prefer to produce ITB mostly, so it isn't.

It replaced my Octatrack.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I was considering getting a mpc 1000 to keep me going until I get a new computer.. but I've talked myself out of it now.

I've watched every episode of Mass Appeal's Rhythm Roulette. Some were pure shite.. but there's a lot of nice things being done with those Akais. Ed Dmx uses one too.

Might get one some day. They seem great.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Void: can you live loop on it like with the Octa?

Crioch: Buy one. Just do it.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

As in record and loop on the fly?
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

nomadjames wrote:
Crioch: Buy one. Just do it.
No :lol:
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Id be somewhat curious in order to sample tunes into it & 'flip' some beats.. but in reality, all that can be done in Live with a few simpler/samplers & a midi ksyboard. Ok, the mpc grit might be absent.. but that's fine. It's just for fun.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I've been tempted to get an MPC or MPC style sampler / drum machine. considered the Digitakt, but im also interested in the MPC live. The idea of a studio in a box like that is something that has got me thinking about going down the live sets route. there are two many choices in todays market, its hard to be decisive.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Radioactive Man - Keith Tenniswood / Two Lone Swordsmen , uses or has used one a lot. Think I've seen one in Live sets.

Some of his tracks have Reese type baselines. I'm sure you could resample& layer stuff into them. That's another aspect I'm interested in, looking at the old jungle sampler / Mackie desk filter resampling. Love that dirty vibe.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Void: You can do live looping on JJOS, but it looks like you can only do that and not use the other features, I haven't messed with it.

Crioch: Yeah each pad can accommodate 4 layers on the MPC 1000/2500 using JJOS2XL, so you can layer and detune, layer drums, etc...Classic DnB sample techniques. That's how I learned to write music back around 2000, studying classic DnB EMU techniques (think Ed Rush and Optical Wormhole style stuff) and applying that to Kontakt.

That video that I opened the thread with is pretty far out, I love how he just recorded a ton of vinyl into soundforge and just goes through it and highlights what he wants, mods it, then records it right away into the MPC 3000...That thing only had 16MB of RAM, man!! That technique for sampling would have never occurred to me though, If I hadn't been able to watch that whole video one day while I was working. I'm just gonna hook up an extra output from my sound card and run it right into the audio in on the MPC...

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Crioch: If you do decide to shop for one, don't forget you got a shitload of extra money going into to, I got JJOS2XL, three hard drives that didn't work, new pads, a hard drive connection kit for fucking IDE, a card reader, a 64GB SD card, a 16GB CF card that keeps freezing it, an SD to CF adapter, all after I bought it and before I started using it.

Never experienced anything that was so particular about storage.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I plan on just going through my vinyl collection and ripping the hell out of all this techno the first time I have some time to relax. Should at least be a learning experience.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah with the MPC live you can pretty much route any internal or external channel or output to the internal sampler and loop live.
New Shit

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

i've been buying some hardware gear and looked at some MPCs. i read a lot of mpc live facebook groups where it was all gripes about faulty machines which turned me off of the new Live, although i am aware that you only hear from the complainers, those with working machines are making tracks.
i got some roland samplers and figured i'd use Maschine to sequence them instead of a MPC, as i got the roland samplers for about half the price of a decent old MPC. i still like an mpc for the future though, but i can't justify one at the moment.

that phil weeks video in OP i tried to watch before, but he is too unwatchable. he is too fidgety and there's too much dead time to really get into it. if you have a rough timestamp of some good info i'd appreciate it, because i have flicked around the whole video but failed to find something worth sticking with. phil weeks is a bit irritating, because his videos always have great potential to be interesting as it is the type of music i like, but he is/used to be too much of a stoner to be direct with info.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I was sitting here analyzing leases for 10 hours in a row so I could just let it play on the other screen. Learned a lot from that video actually.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

i got an mpc 2000xl ... Mpc samplers are cool .... only problem is you probably end up using floppies or zips...

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I got a 64GB SD card to work in mine...I'm golden (like a shower).

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

nomadjames wrote:I got a 64GB SD card to work in mine...I'm golden (like a shower).
how did you do it ??
one of those expensive mods ?

:geek: