Any of you guys use an MPC?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: Any of you guys use an MPC?

Post by nomadjames »

Not at all, I used an SD to CF converter. You can also mount an SD in the HD slot if you use the correct adapter to attach it the HD adapter you can buy from MPCstuff.com.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I think the CF card is the best option because you can remove the CF card while the MPC is still running and move files to it from the computer, If you mount the HD (or CF in HD slot) you have to stop using the MPC while it is mounted.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

ohh i see... thats because you have a 1000.... its more recent...
me i have a 2000xl ... can't do that... :(

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys15ZGntgyY

i know its a dork... but gets some cool beats !!

this one is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1faup4M7g0

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

I've had an MPC1000 for a few years. Mostly running JJOS2, recently giving 2XL a shot which I'm still getting the hang of really - more features generally but a couple of things like naming tracks and getting to the step-sequencer style editor which I use a lot (name escapes me right now) seem to have got less streamlined.

Its main advantage to me so far is being something other than a computer, in terms of a change of perspective/not staring at the big screen/having a more immediate interface. It definitely switched things up a bit and lead to a productive period when I got it, as tends to be the case with something like that which changes the approach.

It's not been getting as much use lately for a couple of reasons - I've been getting into more complex drum and MIDI programming, sample manipulation etc and find that kinda detailed stuff is just less of a pain on the computer, as is arranging/recording full tracks if you're looking for a bit more control than one-take style live jamming or overdubbing, and also I'm away from home a lot atm so the laptop's just been to hand more often.

Some things are definitely on a par/quicker than the DAW though - it's pretty easy to get a pattern up and running just through improvising & hitting stuff especially once you get your kits etc organised; the track/pad mutes are great for quick jamming, live performance, messing around with taking stuff in/out etc; and I've only recently actually learned how to chop samples which with the pads and data wheel is a quicker process than doing the equivalent on a computer, can see why people making music based on sampling and chopping up records gravitate towards it. I'm keen to explore this a bit more, even if it's in a more abstract/sound design sense rather than the classic chopping/pitching drum breaks and melody/chord sequences. I'm intending to get into the deeper/more MPC-specific features a bit more seriously at some point as I guess since learning how to use it initially I've mostly just coasted along using it as a more hands-on way of sequencing my drum samples and hardware synths.

The MPC1000/others from that era don't particularly have the "MPC sound/groove" IMO, to my ears it's not really any better or worse quality than DAW in terms of programming drum hits and samples that I'll probably then EQ etc anyway. The older MPCs are the ones if it's the character you're looking for.

The MPC Live definitely looks nice for combining these advantages with a more DAW-like screen, arrangement capabilities etc (and more up to date tech than USB1, compact flash, etc...) maybe I'll try it one day but just dropped a load of cash on a new laptop so... :oops:

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Disparate: I find the lack of good step editing to be a pain in the ass, for sure. I use it fuckton with Maschine.

Tenga: I believe that mpcstuff.com has a USB to floppy kit. So you can use a USB drive in place of your floppy. Don't know anything about it.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Tenga: Phil Weeks is a beast with that 3000. I posted that uncut video in the first post on this thread, I was blown away how he was just sampling his audio editor. I would have never thought to do that. Absolute beast.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I'm just going to raid my techno collection and use Week's sampling technique to get it into the 1000. I have an extra SPDIF out of my soundcard, so there it is.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

tenga wrote:ohh i see... thats because you have a 1000.... its more recent...
me i have a 2000xl ... can't do that... :(
A friend of mine has 2000XL with a retrofitted CF drive.

Though it kinda sucks, sometimes it doesn't save properly and sometimes the drive just doesn't seem to boot.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

nomadjames wrote:I'm just going to raid my techno collection and use Week's sampling technique to get it into the 1000. I have an extra SPDIF out of my soundcard, so there it is.
hey nomadjames , i think you are up to something good here...
i saw many videos of this guy , and the are some incredible tricks and info...

me i'm trying to do something similar... and there is not much info available, only basic sampling...
since we are using same machine , maybe we could join forces ask in diferent forums , maybe oriented to french house , sample based house ...

lets get in contact dude !!!

who has experience in this field here in subsekt ? i mean sample based house??? any idea of which forums for this genre ???

cheers !! :ugeek:

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Tenga: Yeah man, it's amazing how little info there is out there, especially for JJOS and MIDI. I'm lucky I had time to throw that video on while I was working or, I would have never watched it because it was so long.

I mean as far as it goes, all the basics are there in that long ass video. I was super impressed with how he used the audio editor and just sampled directly from the editor on the computer, instead of transferring the samples...That guy is a fucking beast.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

nomadjames wrote:Tenga: Yeah man, it's amazing how little info there is out there, especially for JJOS and MIDI. I'm lucky I had time to throw that video on while I was working or, I would have never watched it because it was so long.

I mean as far as it goes, all the basics are there in that long ass video. I was super impressed with how he used the audio editor and just sampled directly from the editor on the computer, instead of transferring the samples...That guy is a fucking beast.
He has lots of videos, 99% he is just being a jerk and smoking pot and bragging, the other 1% its incredible production secrets.. which he must give out probably because he is stoned... there are 2 or 3 gems there...

He uses mpc3000 , akai s3000xl... also has some rack gear which is not shown often....

He plays regulary in rex club paris...there is also info about the studio where he cuts his vinyl (also in paris)

Sent you a pm !!!
Cheers !!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the mpc1000 can do stuff like this.. twisting up midi patterns on the fly? Similar to the Yamaha RS7000?

youtu.be/qGPATvP5ylw
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Not that I know, but I am brand new to it.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Haha Cool!

I was going back to an old idea about getting a RS. Onlything is that they are rising rapidly in price & really, they require extra breakout boards for more outputs.

But.. they also have an Ableton like ability to map pretty much any of the dials to any desired parameter - or so I've gathered. Should have picked one up years ago when.i had the chance.

Decisions decisions.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

what type of tracks are you trying to make? i've been buying up some gear to make the type of music in your links, but i'm not at home to have set it up yet. i have scoured the internet looking for forums that talk about it, but haven't found much besides an old daft punk fan forum which is all covered in the gearsluts french house thread in your links.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Looks like I may be joining Club MPC. Possibly a 2500.

Just out of interest.. has anyone done old skool jungle Reece type basses with MPC's?

Just trying to figure out the workflow in my head.

Whether layering & detuning a single sample on one pad is part of the initial process.. or is it better to eq tops & bottom on different pads.

Or can you as layers on a single pad independently without need for resampling with applied eq?

If you know what I mean?

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Well you can layer up to 4 sounds on a pad with JJOS. So I would take 2 copies of the same saw wave and detune them slightly. If you need more low end I would take the same sound and low pass it with resonance...so there you would have three sounds on that pad. Set your loop points the same on all and you should be good to go.

That's how I would do it.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye.. cool! Cheers :)

I need to dl a manual I reckon & find out a little more about the overall functionality.. assigning controls & stuff.