Need help with CPU while producing

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Need help with CPU while producing

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:
rsntr wrote:The actual question has already been answered but I'd like to add that committing to audio not only helps with weak CPUs but can also foster creativity. You can mess around with an audio track in ways you can't do with midi. Also, committing to audio stops endless and aimless tweaking. Btw, I still produce on an 8 years old MacBook Pro and don't feel like I need to upgrade anytime soon.
Somewhat related question, if I have LFOs and random modulation on a track I need to record it into audio live to preserve the random modulation, instead of freeze-flatting it, right?
that depends if you have that automation happening on MIDI or on audio.
if it's happening on audio, you should freeze it, unless it's happening on a parameter that is "outside" your synth parameters, so to say,
like the mixer panning or volume, to name just 2 examples.
but if the automation is taking place completely on parameters that are controlled inside your synth, then yes, you need to do that before freeze/flattening it.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

dubdub wrote:Somewhat related question, if I have LFOs and random modulation on a track I need to record it into audio live to preserve the random modulation, instead of freeze-flatting it, right?
If you freeze the track you'll have all the modulation in the audio file, only that the random modulation will always stay the same every time you play it back (obviously).

EDIT: Missed Hades' earlier answer.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

rsntr wrote:
dubdub wrote:Somewhat related question, if I have LFOs and random modulation on a track I need to record it into audio live to preserve the random modulation, instead of freeze-flatting it, right?
If you freeze the track you'll have all the modulation in the audio file, only that the random modulation will always stay the same every time you play it back (obviously).

EDIT: Missed Hades' earlier answer.
nah man, you're even more correct than me when thinking about it.
I was having trouble thinking about how you'd explain this,
but your explanation is probably more accurate than mine.
Because if you freeze a track you will (afaik) also freeze the parameters like panning and volume.
Actually, your post made me think about this now, so I'm currently not sure any more if something like panning or volume (fader) which are mixer settings (not talking about volume or panning inside a synth now) are taken into the freeze and flatten part or not, so yeah, for anyone at doubt, just try it out for yourselves and correct us all with valid info. :D

But yes, to repeat rsntr : Live will do a one take of your audio, with whatever random modulation you have going on,
and that will get recorded onto your freezed (and perhaps later flattened) audio clip.
Remember this is a single shot only process, so the randomness is only as "random" as the length of your loop/clip.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

maybe the distinction you have to make is not the one I mentioned about audio and MIDI earlier on,
but rather the one between instrument settings and/or audio clip settings on the one hand, and mixer settings on the other hand.

If what my gut feeling is telling me is true, it should mean that all mixer settings will not be included into the freeze/flatten process,
but all the other automation settings will be recorded into a single shot process.
However, before I open up a project and check this out for myself, I can't confirm this.
And there's other things to do at the moment, I'm afraid.

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

I'm pretty much very sure that the mixer settings (volume, pan, sends) stay unaffected by freezing but all other automation, modulation etc. will be included when freezing. Don't know if that changed with Live 9 or 10 as I'm still on 8 :D

akirawithv
fake

Post by akirawithv »

Thanks for the help guys, my problems are solved!
Diving into the black hole...