Izotope Trash 2 - industrial sounds out of the box.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Andre_Crom
rescued
Izotope Trash 2 - industrial sounds out of the box.

Post by Andre_Crom »

A friend recently showed me this plugin and it is pretty much the one element which was missing in my productions.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/cre ... trash.html

Super heavy distorted mangled kicks with a combination of Overdrive/saturation/Reverb/Compression/Delay? Check.

Throw it on any boring rimshot or tom and create an amazing lead stab full of character? Check.

Add it to a standard 909 Open hat and end up with something really quite different but still maintaining that energy? Check.

Even throw it on a drum bus to glue everything together and add lots of character...

And many more ways to help you create character and warmth for your music.

Check it out, i'm really in love with it, even considering to sell my Analog Heat, as it gets pretty much replaced by the plug.

A.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Izotope Trash 2 - industrial sounds out of the box.

Post by Mono-xID »

Trash 2 is an old hat already. But a good looking hat it is. The only good plug-in from Izotope imo.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

Mono-xID wrote:Trash 2 is an old hat already. But a good looking hat it is. The only good plug-in from Izotope imo.
if you have further recommendations for similar plug's im all ears... but to me so far, trash2 is miles ahead of its competitors.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Oh there are much better next gen distortions out there.

Just an aside but industrial does not = distortion.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

Lost to the Void wrote:Oh there are much better next gen distortions out there.

yeah? which ones?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

FAULT & DENT2 by Unfiltered Audio is getting some use here lately.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Andre_Crom wrote:

yeah? which ones?

There's a thread dedicated to it, I'm not going to list them again but I dove in to the world of heavy metal when making my metal album and my interactions with people in the scene put me on to a whole wealth of amazing distortion. They know their shit, distortion is their thing

Far and above the best (realistic) distortion is Positive Grid Pedal - Distortion series.
You need a decent CPU though.

Trash is fine, but it doesn't do real non linear distortion and voltage choking or Sag as well as new gen plugs.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Andre_Crom wrote:

yeah? which ones?

There's a thread dedicated to it, I'm not going to list them again but I dove in to the world of heavy metal when making my metal album and my interactions with people in the scene put me on to a whole wealth of amazing distortion. They know their shit, distortion is their thing

Far and above the best (realistic) distortion is Positive Grid Pedal - Distortion series.
You need a decent CPU though.

Trash is fine, but it doesn't do real non linear distortion and voltage choking or Sag as well as new gen plugs.
I guess Andre wants something aimed at sounddesign and not 1:1 pedal emulations. In terms of sounddesing I think Trash2 is pretty cool with the delays and impulse responses and shit.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah, it's ok for a 1 box does all type thing, it's not "bad" by any measure.
Bit of a jack of all master of none though, certainly doesn't have anywhere near the sound quality of Analog Heat, but definitely has more options....
Fine for a quick fix.
I prefer to take plugins that master the individual aspects of something like trash, and match them together.
Great delay with great distortion etc

I have also built 2 of my own hardware trash boxes. The murder box, and the slaughter box, I'm going to see if I can model them either via positive grid or nebula.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Is Analog Heat that good? I played around a bit (really not that much) but wasn't impressed at all. Maybe i should give it another try? The Dom 1 running through RYTM distortion and compression can get quite gnarly...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:Is Analog Heat that good? I played around a bit (really not that much) but wasn't impressed at all. Maybe i should give it another try? The Dom 1 running through RYTM distortion and compression can get quite gnarly...

Well, it`s got some very nice real distortions in a quite economical package. If you wanted to buy that amount of variety of hardware distortion, to that level of quality it would cost you way more than analog heat, especially for stereo fx (plus it has filters and mid control etc). So it is actually really good value for money (unusually for elektron).

I demoed one for a couple of weeks, and ended up not buying, I have a Culture Vulture, and the AH is like a cut price version of that in a way, so it wouldn`t have got used for production at all, and for live use I couldn`t justify the money as I would have only really used one of the disto settings.

I opted for an ElectroHarmonix Operation Overlord, in the end, for my 2 buss. It`s an exceptionally sexy stereo (full range) dirt box with great features. And only 140 quid.

Is analog heat that good? It`s proper distortion on a level of quality on a par with some great boutique stomp boxes, so yeah it is good, but only if you want and like distortion A LOT, as it is pricey for something you may not use very much if you don`t.

Once distorted techno goes out of fashion I imagine you`ll see a lot of them on the market for a decent price used.
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Analog Heat is a wicked little box does more then just distort shit too.

Aureliano
BAD

Post by Aureliano »

Mono-xID wrote:FAULT & DENT2 by Unfiltered Audio is getting some use here lately.
Dent / Indent 2 is great and it's on sale this weekend at Plugin Alliance.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

arkos wrote:Analog Heat is a wicked little box does more then just distort shit too.
Can anyone say something about how Analog Heat compares to Shermann Filterbank2?

Andre_Crom
rescued

Post by Andre_Crom »

as mentioned above, analogue heat is a great box. however, as i like to be able to edit any sound at any stage of the production process, i find myself to not use it much anymore, and instead keep things in the box.

trash2 can do many things which the analogue heat can't do as it offers a combination of several effects. just skipping through the presets brings tons of surprising and inspiring results.

analogue heat is great if you want a really nice sounding distortion/overdrive unit that you can tweak with your hands.

so i'd say for hardware lovers it's worth checking it out... i personally might sell mine though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

P0607r0n wrote:
arkos wrote:Analog Heat is a wicked little box does more then just distort shit too.
Can anyone say something about how Analog Heat compares to Shermann Filterbank2?
It doesnt, they are very different things.
One is a filter bank with distortion.
The other is a distortion bank with a filter.
New Shit

arkos

Post by arkos »

Lost to the Void wrote:
P0607r0n wrote:
It doesnt, they are very different things.
One is a filter bank with distortion.
The other is a distortion bank with a filter.
Couldn't have said that better, but if I'd a gun would be held to my head I'd say AH is more of a bread and butter filter while Filterbank is pretty wild and far out there with it's screaming resonance and crazy modulation.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'd bring Fabfilter Saturn up for discussion. IMO it's not that digital sounding like Trash2. Both are multiband distortion/saturation and with saturn i get the depth, warmth and punchyness i'm looking for. Trash get's near it, but in direct compairson saturn wins.
:geek:

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I like all the soundtoys distortion plugins, but not sure that's what you're looking for.

tomhades
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by tomhades »

my go to plugin as well ... especially on drums in multiband mode :)