It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 80ies/90ies pads
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm 
BAD

hi guys,

been trying to create 90ies ish pads like in...

https://youtu.be/4YXRc2qN1cI?t=2m39s

https://youtu.be/y_LlKB8RlXA?t=4m3s

https://youtu.be/y_LlKB8RlXA?t=4m50s

been using omnisphere, but it mostly sounds different, too modern...

i'm pretty sure somewhere in my tons of vst's there must be pads hidden like those, guess it was one or several particular synths from the 80ies / 90ies?

any pointers to which one would be appreciated.

thx!

a.

Post subject: Re: 80ies/90ies pads
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:44 pm 
site spammer

I've made similar by recording whatever chords I want and putting them through paulstretch, pitching and resampling as you go.

FM synths work well, but really any chord in any synth.

Whack it in TAL Sampler and drag the loop points until you get a seamless loop. Filter / FX / EQ etc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm 
Emulation

I was going to say Korg M1 or Juno 106 for 90s pads but the pads in the tracks you posted don't sound 90s at all. They're very generic 2017 digital sounding. Random high pitched chord, string-ish patch, decent amount of pitch modulation, lots and lots of detune, extra chorus and chorus-y reverb, saturation, high pass filter. Maybe resample with reverb multiple times. You can do that with almost any subtractive synth.

Personally I can't stand these type of string-y pads that have appeared on all the """"emotional"""" bigroom tracks in the last 2 years. There's just something about them harmonically that's super grating to my ears, it just sounds sooo cheap and fake emotional to my ears. Fake trance. Sorry, I'm just ranting at this point, had to let that out after hearing these every week in the hardwax news for past year or so :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm 
Interchangeable

These just sound like synth strings.
Should be doable with any analog poly.
Top end is rolled down, either with EQ or just closing down the lowpass.

I would say your standard synth string of osc 1 Square, Osc 2 Saw, roll down the high end, soften the attack, add a little chorus, a little PW modulation and some vibrato and you are probably nearly there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

for me it is nothing more then a small lead with loads of reverb & delay on it (full wet) and then resample and putting in a sampler with a loop on a small piece and with crossfades on begin & end ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm 
Interchangeable

dubdub wrote:
I was going to say Korg M1 or Juno 106 for 90s pads but the pads in the tracks you posted don't sound 90s at all. They're very generic 2017 digital sounding. Random high pitched chord, string-ish patch, decent amount of pitch modulation, lots and lots of detune, extra chorus and chorus-y reverb, saturation, high pass filter. Maybe resample with reverb multiple times. You can do that with almost any subtractive synth.

yeah, tbh, I would think you can do that with pretty much any poly synth or by using a sampler.

dubdub wrote:
Personally I can't stand these type of string-y pads that have appeared on all the """"emotional"""" bigroom tracks in the last 2 years. There's just something about them harmonically that's super grating to my ears, it just sounds sooo cheap and fake emotional to my ears. Fake trance. Sorry, I'm just ranting at this point, had to let that out after hearing these every week in the hardwax news for past year or so :oops:

haha, :D
I always have this love/hate thing with big room techno.
When it's well done, I can really appreciate it from time to time.
But nowadays, it's as if literally everyone is trying to make big room techno.
It's just everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

It's a ''supersaw'' with a decent amount of detuning, some delay and a long reverb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 am 
Esca

I thought this thread would be about Derrick May-ish pads/strings lol.

Son, I am disappoint.

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

dubdub wrote:

I've been dreaming about owning a Juno 106 for a long time and it was the first thing that came into my mind when I read the post without listening to the examples. Lot's of input here, thanks. Would you mind going a bit further into detail with the pitch modulation part? :?: Much appreciated, thanks!

GSD - get sh*t done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:37 pm 
Interchangeable

SHIDZO wrote:
dubdub wrote:

I've been dreaming about owning a Juno 106 for a long time and it was the first thing that came into my mind when I read the post without listening to the examples. Lot's of input here, thanks. Would you mind going a bit further into detail with the pitch modulation part? :?: Much appreciated, thanks!

tbh, what is there more to say about pitch modulation ?
Pretty much 80% of the time, pitch modulation happens by using an LFO.
Hell, Boards Of Canada made a slowly modulated pitch sound by an LFO as an integral part of their sound for many many years.
Standard sine or triangle gives you that typical kind of "slowly drifting in and out of tune" sound when used on slow rates.
(tip : most of the times, LFO's that modulate your pitch are set to slow rates because the effect is otherwise far too extreme)
Square LFO will give you a siren kind of sound.
Obviously, S&H will give you a sound with a more randomly changing pitch.

If you decide to use an envelope to modulate your pitch, then the picth will just follow the settings of your envelope,
according to the amount you have decided upon in your amount parameter (isn't that something ?).

The only other pitch modulators I can think of are more exotic stuff like a step sequencer, (or maybe even just general pitch automation in your sequencer),
which means your pitch will change to the amount/height you have set in each step of your sequence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hades wrote:
SHIDZO wrote:
dubdub wrote:

tbh, what is there more to say about pitch modulation ?
Pretty much 80% of the time, pitch modulation happens by using an LFO.
Hell, Boards Of Canada made a slowly modulated pitch sound by an LFO as an integral part of their sound for many many years.
Standard sine or triangle gives you that typical kind of "slowly drifting in and out of tune" sound when used on slow rates.
(tip : most of the times, LFO's that modulate your pitch are set to slow rates because the effect is otherwise far too extreme)
Square LFO will give you a siren kind of sound.
Obviously, S&H will give you a sound with a more randomly changing pitch.

If you decide to use an envelope to modulate your pitch, then the picth will just follow the settings of your envelope,
according to the amount you have decided upon in your amount parameter (isn't that something ?).

The only other pitch modulators I can think of are more exotic stuff like a step sequencer, (or maybe even just general pitch automation in your sequencer),
which means your pitch will change to the amount/height you have set in each step of your sequence.

Thanks man :) And in this case it was exactly the 80% I missed. So far I've only actively used envelopes for pitch modulation on kicks so I thought "WTF how does that work on the synths of the topic we are talking about??? These people are mental" - I feel a bit stupid now, I have used an LFO on a pitch envelope before as well. I was playing around with this looooong synth and I thought "Hey, why not putting a bit of an LFO on the pitch to get this bitch moving around little bit?!" I appreciate the input and the time you took. And thank you too for pointing me to Boards of Canada, this shit is great. Fucking hell I feel like a mouth-breather now... Like a funny mouth-breather though. Cheers

GSD - get sh*t done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 am 
Interchangeable

SHIDZO wrote:
Thanks man :) And in this case it was exactly the 80% I missed. So far I've only actively used envelopes for pitch modulation on kicks so I thought "WTF how does that work on the synths of the topic we are talking about??? These people are mental" - I feel a bit stupid now, I have used an LFO on a pitch envelope before as well. I was playing around with this looooong synth and I thought "Hey, why not putting a bit of an LFO on the pitch to get this bitch moving around little bit?!" I appreciate the input and the time you took. And thank you too for pointing me to Boards of Canada, this shit is great. Fucking hell I feel like a mouth-breather now... Like a funny mouth-breather though. Cheers

no problem. getting the theory down is really not that hard. Making it all click in your head afterwards is a lot harder.

Pay in mind that when you have a pitch envelope on a drum synth (and even on some other synths, Live's Analog has one like that as well),
it's usually simplified, like it can move only upwards or downwards to the setting of your original pitch (=the note you play or the note that your sequencer is playing).
Also, drum sounds are extremely short compared to most other synth sounds, so a pitch envelope like that is usually more than enough.
It's a bit as if you would be using an upwards or downwards saw LFO to modulate pitch.

More sofisticated synths usually have the same style ADSR envelope for their pitch like they have for their filter and volume.
Pay in mind that you can use your pitch and filter envelope negatively, but of course you can't do that with your volume.
I was once in a so called "sound design" class given by Rob Papen and he was saying there's no such thing as a negative envelope,
while fucking hell, yes there is, but of course only for filter and pitch.
For pitch it would mean you make the pitch go down first (attack) and then back up (decay) to the level set by your sustain, where it would stay as long as you hold your note (or the sequencer is still playing the same note), and then it would go up again to the original note's pitch when you release the note.
for filter it would mean you make the cutoff close first (attack), then it opens up again (decay), to the level set by your sustain, where it would stay as long as you hold your note (or the sequencer is still playing the same note), and then it would go up again to the original cutoff setting when you release the note.

Now the reason people usually use LFO's for their pitch modulation, is simply that envelopes are usually too drastic, and pitch modulation usually happens less extreme than for example filter modulation, or else you end up with a sound that's in the FX sounds kind of ballpark. Plus, very important, LFO's replay all the time. Envelopes only play once. There are enough synths out there with loopable envelopes (in part (for example the sustain phase) or completely), but that's more exception than rule.

Now, when you say above :

Quote:
I have used an LFO on a pitch envelope before as well.

you probably mean you used an LFO to modulate the pitch before,
because when you say pitch envelope, you are technically saying that you were modulating a control signal (envelope) with another control signal (LFO).
This is of course possible, but definitely not on every synth, and it happens rarely that people use this.
A pitch envelope is a control signal routed to the pitch, but pitch is the parameter, the "thing you can change", to put it ultra-simple.

You can also route 2 LFO's or even more to the same parameter, or for example 2 envelopes to the same filter.
It can give you interesting results, if you have the option to try this on a synth, be sure to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 am 
Interchangeable

I found that in the days where I was still learning to properly understand that stuff,
it helped a lot when I saw knobs move (or the lights around knobs when it's encoders on HW or controllers and stuff).
Seeing it happen before my eyes helped me better to understand what I was hearing.

What you could do, for example, is take a panning knob,
and route a M4L LFO to that knob.
Start with sine, then use a triangle (the results will be almost the same except the knob will stay a little longer around the center with a sine)
Then use a square, and end with S&H
Just watch what the LFO does.
It controls your panning. It's saying : now move there in the stereo field, now go there,...

It's exactly the same for an envelope, it's telling the parameter you sent it to to go up or down or hold it's current value (sustain).

If you don't have M4L, you could still make a small clip with pitch automation, and draw in a triangle waveform yourself.
The results are similar.
This is also an important thing to realize : automation in Live (whether in clips in the session view or longer ones in arrangement view) is nothing else than another control signal. Just like an LFO is an extra hand that tells your pitch or cutoff or whatever to move around, your automation is telling your pitch or cutoff or whatever to move around. It's the same simple principle.
This means, that you can see a simple automation clip in Live as an LFO with unlimited sort of waveforms, if you like.