Heavy Techno Rythms

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
iggyfog
Unfriended
Heavy Techno Rythms

Post by iggyfog »

Apologies if this has been covered before -

But what do people generally do to create those heavy techno rythms used by dax j, cleric etc. use.

They sounds like hats and snares which are processed to give them a lot of oomph

youtu.be/bkYIKe4ldQU

Does anyone have any tips on how to do these?

Compression/reverb/distortion? Have tried all these but keen to see what others do.

Want to create heavy rythmic drive.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Heavy Techno Rythms

Post by dubdub »

I find a lot of this stuff very soulless and a bit lame but it's definitely super well engineered. I read somewhere that Dax J has a crazy process in the studio where he masters his own stuff and then readjusts the mix based on that and that sometimes he repeats that process like 15 times. There's nothing particularily interesting going on rhythmically but it works because everything is super compressed and loud and punchy. The centerpiece is definitely the rolling bassline.

The stuff on top sounds like a mix betwen a hat and a clap, maybe layered and infused with noise. Definitely resampled a bunch of times.

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

dubdub wrote:I find a lot of this stuff very soulless and a bit lame but it's definitely super well engineered. I read somewhere that Dax J has a crazy process in the studio where he masters his own stuff and then readjusts the mix based on that and that sometimes he repeats that process like 15 times. There's nothing particularily interesting going on rhythmically but it works because everything is super compressed and loud and punchy. The centerpiece is definitely the rolling bassline.

The stuff on top sounds like a mix betwen a hat and a clap, maybe layered and infused with noise. Definitely resampled a bunch of times.
So just mad compression?

Here is another track - what I am trying to recreate is the snares in the mid/bottom end that drive the track forward......

youtu.be/UqXEFNj8HoQ

(apologies if I keep on messing up the youtube insertion.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

iggyfog wrote:
dubdub wrote:I find a lot of this stuff very soulless and a bit lame but it's definitely super well engineered. I read somewhere that Dax J has a crazy process in the studio where he masters his own stuff and then readjusts the mix based on that and that sometimes he repeats that process like 15 times. There's nothing particularily interesting going on rhythmically but it works because everything is super compressed and loud and punchy. The centerpiece is definitely the rolling bassline.

So just mad compression?

Here is another track - what I am trying to recreate is the snares in the mid/bottom end that drive the track forward......

youtu.be/UqXEFNj8HoQ

Are you thinking about the claps? I think they sound pretty normal (just with a short decay) - or those snarerolls?

I always make mine in the microtonic plugin, which has a clap-envelope-generator-or-something, and it's quite easy to come up with a sound similar to that one.

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

Amøbe wrote:
iggyfog wrote:

So just mad compression?

youtu.be/UqXEFNj8HoQ

Are you thinking about the claps? I think they sound pretty normal (just with a short decay) - or those snarerolls?

I always make mine in the microtonic plugin, which has a clap-envelope-generator-or-something, and it's quite easy to come up with a sound similar to that one.
more the snares - mine always sound a bit feeble to be honest - like a drum roll - just looking to create a heavy impactful drive as used in loads of these kinds of tracks.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

If you check out some of his interviews. I'm positive I read that he comes from a dnb background, so he likes his sub & knows his frequencies.

If he isn't layering & resampling etc.. he's obviously got a good ear & is able to pick out good sounds to begin with. It's probably a bit from column A & B, sprinkled with seasoned fx & arrangement skills.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

If youre looking for the 'drive' of the song thats already been covered a bit here in the classics.

But I think the more important queation you have to ask yourself is if you really wanna just sound like somebody elses replica or do your own thing you know. Like with any music really. Anyone can learn how to play certain chords on a guitar, but your oqn style you develop by yourself you know. Nobody can teach you how to define Your style but yourself... just a thought

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

And if you wanna produce stuff that has superb production quality there is no shortcut. Practice producing and also, which I believe is truly overlooked, practice listening to music. Try and understand the music you listen to.

Although Im not really even a decent producer im fairly decent playing guitar and there are tons of analogies that I brought from that.

Just my 2 cents

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I dunno.. I think he is trying to understand what he's listening to. Just trying to get a few pointers on what techniques to focus on & practice. Or maybe I picked it up all wrong..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Críoch wrote:I dunno.. I think he is trying to understand what he's listening to. Just trying to get a few pointers on what techniques to focus on & practice. Or maybe I picked it up all wrong..
I've read it the same way as you.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yep.

Anyway.. in the spirit of practice, check out yt vids on different production topics. Increase your knowledge.

Check native instruments video with Randomer on kicks.

Look up vids about splitting frequencies.. parallel compression.. layering of samples.

Look up drum & bass tutorials.. break processing.. reese design etc..

Check point blank vids on syncopation & pattern, loop creation.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I hate to say it again, but search the forums, particularly the archives subforum
http://subsekt.com/viewforum.php?f=48

The music you linked isn`t particularly hard or heavy, it`s pretty much what I would call normal techno or..... techno.
This was basically what techno sounded like before minimal happened.

Everything you need to know about making these simple types of driving beats are already referenced many times on the forum.
Drive, saturation, compression, EQ, groove, balancing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Leskey wrote:Although Im not really even a decent producer im fairly decent playing guitar and there are tons of analogies that I brought from that.
I guess you missed the bits about learning cover songs, working out solos and licks by ear, and studying the gear and tone of the masters. Because not sounding like someone else's replica and all that shit.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Just went back to this thread again... in the original post (the Dax J track), there seem to be some sort of rattling sound on top of the bass line... this is something I wanted to achieve for a longer period of time - now I'm not asking for a recipe (I shall be a good cunt and return to the archive again!) but I'm a bit curious as to what would be used to achieve this... it's a sort of rattling and a bit ambient part of the sound. Is it a part of the bass sound, a top layer (just some filtered noise perhaps?) is it an effect caused by saturation or distortion? - I have tried the guesses I just listed numerous times, so if it's something like that I should just practice more, but I would like some pointers as to where I should focus my experiments towards a rattling rolling ambient crackling part of the track (the ambiences I make always ends up sounding like something from a spa, so I would like to gritty it up a bit and connect it more with the sounds in the foreground).

Love you all!

EDIT: I also went back to ask this question as I'm not sure if it's actually a bit of the same thing, that OP and I ask.

SPECTA
Get a fucking avatar

Post by SPECTA »

Most important things imo:

A good fx chain,with tools that will work for achieveng effect.
Also an understanding what are you doing.
Keep in mind that every reverb is different (Pre delay,room size,very important here.)
,same with distortion etc.
so any plugin could not workfor you.

Fun happens when in the end of the effect chain you have compression,
multiband saturation,eq/whatever (its heavily processed,but i dont mean over distorted)
but you starting to tweak parameters that are in fx chain beggining,like reverb room size,trying different rooms emulations,predelay,filtering.I like to change room models while playing 4x4 kick pattern,so different rooms give very different tone/groove and everytime you can get something interesting
on the output while signals travels thru compression/saturation.

Also very nice to have plugin like BX subsynth/subfilter if you want to have a cool low end.
Also tweaking samples on the time grid,for example if you have a kick layered with toms bassline
can make a huge difference in the end.

Msg me on facebook if you have questions,dont hestitate,peace.

https://www.facebook.com/spectalt

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

SPECTA wrote:Most important things imo:

A good fx chain,with tools that will work for achieveng effect.
Also an understanding what are you doing.
Keep in mind that every reverb is different (Pre delay,room size,very important here.)
,same with distortion etc.
so any plugin could not workfor you.

Fun happens when in the end of the effect chain you have compression,
multiband saturation,eq/whatever (its heavily processed,but i dont mean over distorted)
but you starting to tweak parameters that are in fx chain beggining,like reverb room size,trying different rooms emulations,predelay,filtering.I like to change room models while playing 4x4 kick pattern,so different rooms give very different tone/groove and everytime you can get something interesting
on the output while signals travels thru compression/saturation.

Also very nice to have plugin like BX subsynth/subfilter if you want to have a cool low end.
Also tweaking samples on the time grid,for example if you have a kick layered with toms bassline
can make a huge difference in the end.

Msg me on facebook if you have questions,dont hestitate,peace.

https://www.facebook.com/spectalt
thanks a lot for that reply! Now I know, what to do this evening :D

iggyfog
Unfriended

Post by iggyfog »

Thanks for all your comments much appreciated!

Lots to try and practice - just really looking to expand on techniques and looking at different ways to process rhythmical parts and provide punch.

I