Does anyone here use Reason?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
winston
unsure
Does anyone here use Reason?

Post by winston »

The DAW, not the logical idea.

I just watched the new ad for the next Reason. I have a version (5?) of it installed on my computer because i used it years ago and from time to time needed to reopen files, but i haven't used it to make music in donkeys.

Does anyone use it and find it better or more useful than other DAWs? i know alan fitzpatrick uses it, but you don't hear much about it being used by other techno producers who get into various media. it was good back when i started on 1.5 because it had everything and was well laid out, but i think using ableton made it kind of obsolete when i wanted to start chopping things up.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Does anyone here use Reason?

Post by dubdub »

There are quite a few producers that use Reason (Marcel Dettmann, Levon Vincent, Joey Anderson, DVS1 come to mind) mainly because in the early 2000s before modern-era VSTs it was the easiest and perhaps most powerful solution for getting lots of good instruments/FX. I doubt they would go for Reason if they'd start from fresh today.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

I'm pretty sure Lag uses Reason (and perhaps some outboard hardware, too). I haven't used it since it first came out (coincidentally when I was first learning about sound and couldn't work a DAW to save my life, lol) - but perhaps now that I'm more knowledgable about workflow, I might give it another try. The sequencing and patching was the main thing that confused me, but I think that if you're more used to hardware patching and workflow, then it would come quite easily to you.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

dubdub wrote:Levon Vincent.
i'm surprised by that as i wouldn't have expected reason to be used to make the sound he gets.

i get what you say about not starting with it today because putting together the best of X and Y parts seems like a better idea than choosing a box of everything