Describe your current live/hw setup?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Martin
clown
Describe your current live/hw setup?

Post by Martin »

Hi
Ive been working in the computer for the last year, before that i had some synths but never a proper setup. Now im looking for a change and want a setup where i can play without the computer, both for live performance and recording/production.

Would be interesting to hear what you are using and why?

Is there any fun and affordable comps or limiters suitable for live use?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Describe your current live/hw setup?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Live Setup

MPC Live
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monologue
Waldorf Blofeld
Sismo Lito (Ice Edition)

Soundcraft Sig12 MTK

FX
FMR RNLA (Master Channel)
EHX Operation Overlord (MasterChannel)
EHX Cathedral
TC Electronic Alter Ego x4
Clacktronic Wasp Drive
Murder Box (Home made distortionator)
Slaughter Machine (Home made audio massacre device)

I`m using it because I`ve always love Korg sounds, the mono gives me phat vintage chunk and the mini gives me poly modern analog versatility, blofeld does all sorts, Lito does morphing rythmic drones, MPC is the central sequencer, super easy to use, also handles all my sampling duties - which it does much better than the octatrack it replaced.

In short I have a very versatile setup, which I need as I have quite a versatile sound and make techno covering a wide range of styles.
So I have sound quality, versatility, ease of use, and inspiring to play with. Oh and a small overall footprint for travel.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Martin
clown

Post by Martin »

Thanks! Sounds like a great setup!

Do you load "raw" sounds into the mpc, or prepare them in the computer first? Is it good/capable of editing, cutting and mangling field recordings in the same way as ableton?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Martin wrote: Do you load "raw" sounds into the mpc, or prepare them in the computer first? Is it good/capable of editing, cutting and mangling field recordings in the same way as ableton?
I installed a big SSD on my MPC Live and transferred a shit load of my sample library over to it, so yes I do have raw sounds, but I also load in stuff I have done in ableton.
The MPC Live is essentially a DAW in a box, you can do everything in it, it has it`s own fx, loads of, and sample editing and so on, so yes you can use it completely as a Music Production Controller. You can time stretch etc as well. I don`t think it is as good as Ableton for sample mangling...... but nothing is really. You can also load the MPC up within ableton via the Software, kinda like overbridge, but good.
New Shit

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

You can load the mpc live in a daw to feed it? Am i right when i think of a workflow where i produce my tracks first in live and then maybe render some stuff and make it ready for a transfer on the mpc? Sounds like an useful option to work in your homestudio and prepare a liveset at the same time?
:geek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well, the MPC can either sync up with it`s own DAW software MPC 2.0, or you can open it as a plugin within Ableton or whatever.
New Shit

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

What do you do with the Blofeld, it doesn't strike me as very live friendly.

Martin
clown

Post by Martin »

I bought the mpc live yesterday! Ive had my eyes on it for some time, from reading your positive reviews here voidloss. Only had a couple of hours with it last night without reading the manual. Confusing and a bit scary to leave the comfort of ableton, but thats just what i need!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

innovine wrote:What do you do with the Blofeld, it doesn't strike me as very live friendly.
Sounds. The interface is pretty simple really, no more complicated than any Elektron device.
I mainly use it for weird pads, and odd ambience stuff, but I've started to realise its potential as a drum machine.
New Shit