Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Roland Boutique sh101 - It's Real

Post by Críoch »

Re: PRICES

Aye.. It's an international marketplace these days. Local sellers are using eBay as a guide. It's a curse if your buying alright..

Ultimately it boils down to how much you want something. I just wanna be problem free. This summer I'd a beautiful Yamaha CS5 that needed time on the bench, a dead MacBookPro & a synth that I wanted to get upgraded with pots ( over encoders). I'd to make a choice to get rid of the CS5. Killed me. Such an awesome instrument.

But really.. There are so many options out there right now. Between Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Elektron, Arturia, Novation & DSI.. to name but a few; is there really a need to buy old shit? Ok, its got a sound.. but it also comes with baggage & a duty of care if you buy it.

You can't get pet insurance on an old dog - for good reason :P

I dunno. I love all that old stuff.. but in think at this stage I want peace & quiet. I've had a few technical issues this year & so am not really making any music atm. This is the bitter voice of bitterness :)

Anyway, saying all of that, if it was me and IF you can buy your old one back, you should.

I would lol - At least you know where it's been.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Southpaw wrote: Of all the Roland digital synths I had, I only really liked the JV1080. I do like a bit of that rompler type sound for certain things but people would be better off just getting Omnisphere. Eric Persing was the guy behind a lot of those patches anyway.
well... not sure if you will find a bigger fan of Omni at subsekt than me, myself and Hades...
I use that thing on every fucking project I do.

I always find it flabbergasting how most people never even heard of Eric Persing,
while a lot of people have, at some point, heard of say Richard Devine...
No offence to mr Devine, but Persing is literally behind so many timeless classic sounds...
To name just the first one that comes to mind : the hoover sound on the alpha juno synths.
The guy was chief sound design at Roland for like 20 years ffs... :)

My main controller in my studio is an XV88, which is basically the upgraded version of the JV series.
I pretty much stopped using it for it's sounds years ago (apart from a handful of presets I'm just too fond of), since my plugins just started sounding better 90% of the times. Nonetheless I think a decent rompler is like a swiss pocket knife : you can always put it to use sooner or later. But yeah, for most sounds, Omni beats it hands down...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Yeah, pretty much a genius in that department. It wasn't too long ago I went searching for the PCM samples that were in things like the D series synths but someone told me I wouldn't find any as they're copyrighted. I wanted to do my own type of 'LA' synthesis, combining those PCM attack and transient samples with subtractive synth waveforms. It's a pretty simple but imaginative technique, no idea whether Eris Persing came up with it or not though.
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, it's what made the D50 such a success at the time,
that combination of attack samples with normal bread and butter samples.
It made things sound a lot more "believable" all of a sudden...

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

never heard of eric persing until just now!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

a lot of people never heard of "The Wind In The Willows",
though at some point in history, it was right up there with classics like "Jungle Book"...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Got the sh01a yesterday. Very impressed with the build quality & slider size. There are a few tiny faders for the mod track amount etc.. And they're bloody miniscule & a bit rattly on mine. I'm not sure if they're the same size as the ones on the jp08.. But thank God there's only 3 of 'em on the sh01a.

The main sliders are absolutely perfect. Secure feeling & not shaky. The central nub is good in the cap for fine tuning. I've a mc202 & don't have any complaints.

I got the k25 keyboard also. Keys are good. Useful. Chassis is great. Metal sides. Plastic bottom.

There is a plastic 'foot' inside, verrry like the kind of stand that you'd see on the back of a cheap picture frame. This is what supports the module in its UP / SLANTED position.

To dock with the k25, the sh slips around one small metal bolt, that's protruding from the k25. The other side of the sh is secured into the k25 by releasing a small plastic latch / plastic bolt & spring combo (cheap). This is actually part of the sh01a. Once secure, this allows you to raise & lower the module in the k25.

Together theyre a good weight. It feels good.

When using the sh in the UP position, it is supported by this 'foot' attached to the k25. It's got a 'Guess Who?' vibe off it.

Between the foot, the quality of the plastic bolt & the movement in how it's anchored.. I won't ever be putting it in the raised position. It'll live longer & safer kept down. The bolts go into plastic, not metal.

There's a satisfying 'click' when you lower it into the chassis & that's it locked in. Regardless of this, I think the built quality is great. Better than I expected. Superior to the volcas.

One immensely annoying thing was the connection of the k25 keyboard ribbon cable to the sh. It was an utter fucking hell & a 1/2.

Will post more over next few days. It sounds class. Full of bass & does everything you can do with a sh101 I'm sure. I was able to replicate some of my favourite mc202 things.. But didn't do a side by side as haven't yet reassembled it lol. All the random wave & arpy stuff that I wanted & expected to do with the sh sounded good to me.

Didn't do any midi / cv or ext in stuff yet. Will do.

Had a couple of jams with it sending midi clock to my son's volca beats & there was eventual drift after 5mins or so. Just simply plugged in the volca with the sh as master.

Not too concerned with this yet.. but i need to look into this more & will test with other stuff.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

The menu system is very straightforward. Seq is simple to use.

A lot of the presets are fucking cool. Very useful, stock sounds.

There's nice low sub osc basses with a bit of env bite. Plinky stuff. The poly patches are nice. Chords.. lovely sound. Let's you record your own seq & audition through all the patches while it runs.

The synth is so simple.. It would be very easy for someone to pick apart / learn how something is constructed.

Really like this sh01a.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

I think you made the best choice. I know people seem to really like the original 101 but there's just no way I'd buy another for the sort of silly money some people ask. Yes, In reply to what you said, I could buy it back I guess but I don't really want to and I have access to a fair amount of stuff anyway and space is pretty limited in my own apartment, it's one of the reasons I got rid of a few things when I moved.

Anyway, you're in a position to do some potential A/B comparisons between the 01a and the 202. I'm not really sure how close the original 101 is to the 202 in a side by side kinda way in terms of the Boutique stuff, my mate has almost all of them I think but he swaps/sells & buys stuff quicker than anything so not sure exactly which bits he's got at the moment but he's always been a die hard fan of analog gear but seems to be embracing the newer modelled stuff. Certainly got way more options, I like the idea of the detuning and the 4 note poly. Is it detune within the scope of a semitone/cent range? You can't detune in semitones can you? Getting a bit of GAS for the Boutique stuff but I've spent too much recently as it is.

The mate I was on about has these wooden case things for his Boutique & Volca stuff from Mike & Synths & Wood. Look pretty neat: https://www.synthsandwood.co.uk/gallery

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Well.. I've had a few days with it & I really like it. It's more than just a revamp of the sh101.

The sh sounds great by itself. Spoiled for choice with it and the MC202. I've given up doing an A/B at the moment as they're both great to use together.

After a bit of messing around I got the cv gate cables working between the sh01a & MC202. All sockets on Boutiques are stereo apparently.. I'm using stereo cables now without issue.

It's an amazing partner to the MC202.

The sh01a has 2 LFO types. The nu-skool one is faster.

Hooked up, the MC202 gets the sh01a's LFO speed / depth & wave type over CV. You can get some truly mental stuff with this. The 202 was freaking out with the FM type mod of the pitches going into it.

My 202 has been modded with proper cv & gate, filter cv and 2 distortion switches. Using the switches, it can go from nasty clanking metallic thuds, waspish resonances, to malfunctioning gameboy vibes .. to acidic snake charmer & beyond to utter madness.

AND.. You can still use the 202s own lfo to mod the usual places. Sounds very modular. I reckon it would sound the same going through some nice distortion.. but to my mind this is as close to a devilfish as I'm probably going to get to. It's alive :)

The tune knob on the sh01a changes the pitch on the 202. I used the 202s tune to get them in the same space. There was a gap.. which probably means the 202 needs calibrating.

There's an indent where the 0 is on the sh01a tune knob. Nice to pitch it up!

I've yet to use the ext in.

No computer at the moment.. but the sh01a behaves like a perfect slave to a drum machine as well as accepting pitched notes from an external sequencer. It'll send them out over cv / gate to the 202.

The sh01a's internal sequencer sends all its notes through Cv and gate.. and out over midi at the same time. Its sequencer & arp are incredibly easy to use.

The sequencer records velocity if activated in the menu.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I don't know why I am so attracted to this D-05...I need a poly, and I'm just looking for something different, easy, and portable. I have been looking at it with lust since I saw it, and that digital synthesis is something I never had any desire to utilize. Weird.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Does anybody know anything about programming the thing? I thought there was an iPad emulation of the slider control that was used to program it, but information regarding the actual programming of it is scarce on line.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hi.. not sure about the D05. Can you use the Joystick to edit values in the menu?

----------

Just wanted to report that the sh01a sends out midi when being clocked to Ext Clk In.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I think there’s an editor for the ipad?

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

nomadjames wrote:Does anybody know anything about programming the thing? I thought there was an iPad emulation of the slider control that was used to program it, but information regarding the actual programming of it is scarce on line.
Why not download a PDF for the Roland D-50?

The synthesis in a lot of Roland stuff with these sort of modules is what people mentioned earlier. You basically have 'attack' sound layered with synthesized looped waveforms, stacking up partials & tones. Where it says things like 'TVF' that refers to the filter. As in 'Time Variant Filter'. Or 'TVA' Time variant amplifier etc.

Once you get your head around it, it's pretty easy to be honest.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

they used that TVF and TVA names for most of their rompers for many years.
It's basically an alternative version of an ADSR envelope,
but it works with time/level/time/level/time/level/... all the time.

Tried to find a proper image, this gives you a good idea

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

anyone else bought this synth
do you still enjoy it crioch
do you use it only for basses or for pads aswell
i was looking for a minilogue but this one is very tempting aswell

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. it's great. Mainly using it to seq my mc202 (it has proper cv & gate mod).. and stepping it, trig in (on the sh01a). They work well together.. mc for lows &the sh01a doing some kind of hi pitched or noisy thing over it, with some fx.

I'll be honest.. I've only used it in chord mode once. I should use it more. Just been enjoying making fucked up noises with it too much :)

Regarding pads.. it is cool with the different waveforms, bringing them in & out. Using the lfo & modding different parameters. Its limited of course.. but there are lots of easily attained sweet spots. It's very hands on. Loves fx.

I should investigate more..but I've been concentrating sequences a bit too much recently.

I dont think youd regret it if you were thinking of getting one. It's lovely.. but I'd say the minilogue is fantastic too. Could you order one or both online & demo them for a few weeks/ send them back within 30 days?

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Críoch wrote: When using the sh in the UP position, it is supported by this 'foot' attached to the k25. It's got a 'Guess Who?' vibe off it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, great review... defiantly going to get one of these suckers, was tempted to get the arturia keystep to compliment it and to use as a small footprint keyboard for my Mother 32.