Building a new computer

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Building a new computer

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote:Be ready to do a fuckload of work. I did get a computer that is way better than than the $5k iMac pro but at what cost? Took three months to get it running.

New Mac Pros are gonna start at more than $5k. That’s disgusting. Current Mac Pros? Haven’t been updated since 2013. Apple is shitting all over the creative market and it pisses me off.
thx for the reassuring words :D ;)

I know what you mean man, and I used to stress massively over anything computer related (or at least when it was related to my studio setup), but I do hope I will get to build that studio computer when my MBP is still working fine, so there is no need to stress because my studio is down...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I would suggest doing it sooner than later so you got time to adapt, you know? It was just a lot of work, a lot of tedious, time consuming work. From picking the parts to troubleshooting to all this driver stuff. Hopefully, it will all be worth it. It seems pretty stable (other than Ableton 10 itself), and the capabilities are beyond anything I have ever had, but my biggest push to do it was the fact the Ableton 10 wouldn't run for shit on my 2010 MBP anymore, and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on an inferior machine just because it ran OS X.

That being said, I'll probably end up getting another MBP for outside and performances in the future, but I am very satisfied with this machine as a centerpiece in my studio.

I have heard some pretty bad news regarding even really new MBPs and Ableton 10 performance...
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I was considering upgrading to L10.. but there seems to be a lot of chat about it being less than smooth.

L9 is more than adequate & the upgrade is pricy for me atm.. I'm in no rush.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

nomadjames wrote: and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on an inferior machine just because it ran OS X.
Exactly this.
I've been on a mac for a while but have no concerns about going back to pc when this one goes.
The prices are getting ridiculous.
I also really hate the osx forced updates.
New osx comes out and everyone warns about incompatability so you don't upgrade out of fear. Wait too long and you are locked out of new software.
Meanwhile on PC, shit still supports windows 7.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Live 10 has been pretty fucked for me TBH, on Mac or PC. CPU usage was bad enough that it pretty much killed my MBP I had been running live 9 on since it came out.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote:Live 10 has been pretty fucked for me TBH, on Mac or PC. CPU usage was bad enough that it pretty much killed my MBP I had been running live 9 on since it came out.
Live 10 is fucked up shit, if you ask me. (and I've been using Live since version 5)
Honestly, I have spent like 4 to 5 hours on the phone with Live support because of a problem with my clip library.
The whole cause of the problem was their database being differently routed since Live 10,
(or to be more precise, being different since Live 9)
the only solution for the time being has been to point my MBP to 2 different sample locations,
and for some reason, which they are still unable to explain,
I can't just scan my whole library using the option in the Live menu, and then repack it into one giant library.

The whole thing has been nothing but frustration and made me forget about ANY positive extra's Live 10 had to offer (and no doubt there were lots of them).
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Plus it crashes, on either platform, alot. Like won't close, won't open, spontaneous crashes. Weird bugs, etc.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Hades: I'm on a new cross platform virgin install, so I didn't come across the library issue. Had plenty of other issues, though.

The weirdest being I can access the regular windows drop downs without resizing the window, constantly. That shit is annoying.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Doom & gloom. That sounds unworkable.

More I hear about L10.. less I'm interested.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I'm sure it's going to be remedied quickly. There is a ton of awesome new features to be honest

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Just an update:

I finally got my hardware side synced up properly with the new computer through the USAMO. That thing is amazing once you have it dialed in, but hard to get there. So the studio is up and running fully (finally)...The capabilities of this computer are absolutely insane.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton