Things you somehow just figured out NOW...

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: Things you somehow just figured out NOW...

Post by msl »

Only just realised how fucking awesome Surreal Machines Modnetic is... fuck, serious mojo.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

msl wrote:Only just realised how fucking awesome Surreal Machines Modnetic is... fuck, serious mojo.
The delay is nice but I use it more for the mod effects than anything. Not sure what exactly they modelled but they sound super authentic and shit on 99% of phaser/chorus/flanger plugins out there, they probably could have sold it for 30 bucks without the delay part.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I recently found out that I can get thick sounding kicks by synthesizing them, processing them, re-sampling them, processing them, re-sampling them, processing them, re-sampling them..... I had such a "WHAT THE FUCK" moment it was just great :)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Reviving this thread. I just randomly found out about the Simpler -> Sampler thing in Ableton drum racks... MIND BLOWN... so many new modulation possibilites.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

SHIDZO wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm
I recently found out that I can get thick sounding kicks by synthesizing them, processing them, re-sampling them, processing them, re-sampling them, processing them, re-sampling them..... I had such a "WHAT THE FUCK" moment it was just great :)
Missed this one way back when.. I think everyone needs to have this approach. I may not have fully got it at the time either.

Anyway, It's not just kicks.. It's useful on pretty much anything. To add fullness, movement & character.

Processing.. resampling.. re-processing.. resampling.. Can make some amazing, thick, powerfully interesting sounds, which cannot be made any other way.

Reese mentality.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

dubdub wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 am
Reviving this thread. I just randomly found out about the Simpler -> Sampler thing in Ableton drum racks... MIND BLOWN... so many new modulation possibilites.
Really like the way you can add oscillators & the added crunch options in the filter are nice.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 pm
SHIDZO wrote:
Missed this one way back when.. I think everyone needs to have this approach. I may not have fully got it at the time either.

Anyway, It's not just kicks.. It's useful on pretty much anything. To add fullness, movement & character.

Processing.. resampling.. re-processing.. resampling.. Can make some amazing, thick, powerfully interesting sounds, which cannot be made any other way.

Reese mentality.
resampling is such a powerful tool that I discovered waaaaay late!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Críoch wrote:
SHIDZO wrote:

Reese mentality.
I'm always trying to do more resampling because it definitely gives you access to sounds/textures that are impossible to achieve otherwise but find that it often significantly slows my workflow down. I always start out working with MIDI and when bouncing to audio you lose all the modulation, knob-tweaking etc. options, so you basically have to record a large chunk with all the knob tweaking / modulation that you want, which can take up a lot of time if you have to do it multiple times. I guess this is a normal workflow for people that have a lot of hardware but coming from a pure MIDI ITB workflow, where you never have to bounce or record anything if you don't want to, it just seems infinitely slow.

I do record small bits to resample though but those are more like added fodder, they don't make up the main elements of the track.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

dubdub wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm
Críoch wrote:
SHIDZO wrote:

Reese mentality.
I'm always trying to do more resampling because it definitely gives you access to sounds/textures that are impossible to achieve otherwise but find that it often significantly slows my workflow down. I always start out working with MIDI and when bouncing to audio you lose all the modulation, knob-tweaking etc. options, so you basically have to record a large chunk with all the knob tweaking / modulation that you want, which can take up a lot of time if you have to do it multiple times. I guess this is a normal workflow for people that have a lot of hardware but coming from a pure MIDI ITB workflow, where you never have to bounce or record anything if you don't want to, it just seems infinitely slow.

I do record small bits to resample though but those are more like added fodder, they don't make up the main elements of the track.
I think it was Paula Temple, who recently said that she works in ways of three - one day is purely sound design, which all are recorded, then one day is focusing on melodies and grooves, and then one day on arranging. I have tried to do this, and I think it works quite well, because it divides the process. I write this because I too have often felt slowed down by resampling and shit. But if it is the goal, then it does not feels like slowing down, and then when you work on another goal the next session, the sampledelica is already done, so it is a finished factor, which does not slow you down any longer :)

(That was how I approached the kick challenge, which was three nights at home :) btw)

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

Thinking about the depth that reverb can create for the mix instead of thinking about it so much as part of sound design or simply as an effect.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

acesd619 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Thinking about the depth that reverb can create for the mix instead of thinking about it so much as part of sound design or simply as an effect.
Ha! Coming from a rock background my thinking took the opposite route 8-)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I'm making a fair bit of jungle and drum and bass at the moment.
And I only just learned how to make Neuro style basslines.
At least specifically, I knew the various techniques in other applications, but never really in a bassline Reese Neuro context.

Now I know how to do it right, I'm trying to work out how to subvert it and do it wrong.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

It's all over this topic but the Ableton sampler is such a powerfull tool that I need to use a lot more.
This weekend I did a jam and multitracked it. Afterward I was cutting loops and putting these in the sampler.
Very powerfull tool that my hardware can't do.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 am
At least specifically, I knew the various techniques in other applications, but never really in a bassline Reese Neuro context.

Now I know how to do it right, I'm trying to work out how to subvert it and do it wrong.
Interest piqued. :D

Super secret technique- throw your reese bass into a granular sampler. Don't tell anyone I told you though.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ive been experimenting with making these sine compression reeses.. just was something I saw on YT. Thought it wassomething different.. and also the vid wasn't too long :)

Threw one into the henke granulator. Think i might see what you mean!!

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I constantly have to remind myself to learn more shortcuts. I sometimes feel I'm the dumbest idiot using Ableton or Bitwig. I know there are tons of ways to get to Rome. Some of which drastically remove obstacles. And whenever learning a new and quicker way I'm like "SUPER HERO 9000!".

Instead of learning more every day, I tend to forget about it again.

Until I remind myself about it again :)

Oddly satisfying. And fucking stupid at the same time.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

You guys made me spend five hours resampling shit and now I don't have a track done today. Thanks a lot. Fortunately there is a new indie rock album I've been wanting to get pissed to. I'm done with techno until next week.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Lost to the Void wrote:

We were talking about this for some reason on a different thread. Glad you've seen the light. Older DnB really teaches you what is possible with a sampler, a goal, skills, and time. You can get textures from resampling that you can't get any other way.

If you anyone in here is really interested in it, head over to The Grid on Dogsonacid.com, go back to about 2003, and start reading about EMUs...Or you can read the "Threads of Interest" sticky at the top. There is such a crazy amount of knowledge on that site.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Planar wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:25 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

Interest piqued. :D

Super secret technique- throw your reese bass into a granular sampler. Don't tell anyone I told you though.
That's a great idea. Will try tonight.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

nomadjames wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

We were talking about this for some reason on a different thread. Glad you've seen the light. Older DnB really teaches you what is possible with a sampler, a goal, skills, and time. You can get textures from resampling that you can't get any other way.

If you anyone in here is really interested in it, head over to The Grid on Dogsonacid.com, go back to about 2003, and start reading about EMUs...Or you can read the "Threads of Interest" sticky at the top. There is such a crazy amount of knowledge on that site.h

Seen what light?
Sampling has been my primary sound design method for years, and I've been talking about the merits of sampling on here forever.
Contact mics, coil pic ups and field recording are how I generate a lot of my sounds.
New Shit