Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Mix Bus Compression Guide

Post by Lost to the Void »

DZM wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm
Many thanks for this, feel like using this has finally helped me mixing better using compression, so many thanks for that (and much more learning to do for me obviously).
Speaking on compressors, there is a decent sea available from McDSP on the 6030 ultimate compressor which gives you 8 compressors for something around 25 euro. I have been trying them and like them so far (Stark improvement over Reason stock devices).
Cheers,
Erik
Couldnt find that mcdsp.anywhere.
Link would be handy though.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

DZM
fancy woman

Post by DZM »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 pm
DZM wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm
Many thanks for this, feel like using this has finally helped me mixing better using compression, so many thanks for that (and much more learning to do for me obviously).
Speaking on compressors, there is a decent sea available from McDSP on the 6030 ultimate compressor which gives you 8 compressors for something around 25 euro. I have been trying them and like them so far (Stark improvement over Reason stock devices).
Cheers,
Erik
Couldnt find that mcdsp.anywhere.
Link would be handy though.
Sure thing, here you go: https://www.mcdsp.com/plug-ins/6030-ult ... ompressor/

And for free I throw in this amazing promotional video which is definitely worth the watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KPCooShTQ

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Cant find any 25 Euro deal mate. The compressor is about 179$
New Shit

DZM
fancy woman

Post by DZM »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 pm
Cant find any 25 Euro deal mate. The compressor is about 179$
Checking again now, and indeed it seems I got a very good / crazy deal?! I bought it on Saturday via JRRshop for $24.65, and now the best deal is USD 49 with academic discount, and USD 129 without (you do get an additional 10% off using coupon "GROUP").

Sorry for that, was under the impression that was its regular price...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 23.10.57.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 23.10.57.png (19.78 KiB) Viewed 11217 times

retrolize
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by retrolize »

@Lost to the Void:
Just wanna say thank you for this wonderful thread, started mixing into Mjuc , and its a pleasure!

(Maybe helpful for someone:Another good Var Mu Emulation:https://fuseaudiolabs.de/product.html?id=300860580)
Greetings
Each 1 Teach 1

JARHEAD
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by JARHEAD »

Amazing Thread

Akaspeedy
clown

Post by Akaspeedy »

I’ve learnt more from this thread than years on YouTube......I recommend the kick and bass threads as well....amazing non specific stuff that teaches you how to find your own sound instead of thread after thread of....’how do I recreate this sound’

Akaspeedy

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Solid advice here Void. I think I had come across something similar in "The Bus Compression Framework" by Nathan Nyquist for those that were interested in reading a book about it.

I've owned MJUC for some time and usually use it as a mixbuss compressor but mixing into the compressor is brilliant. I always knew there was something special going on with this compressor ;). Whenever I added a new track and it just wasn't EQ'd or clashed with another instrument it got lost in the mix...which is actually great since it made me EQ or tweak the sound in just the right way to get it to sit into the mix just right. I recently had purchased Kush's UBK-1 because it seemed to have that musical flavor without much understanding necessary, but I myself like to know how stuff works.

BTW, its this post alone which made me want to join this site. Cheers

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You are welcome..

Yeah I love Kush`s UBK-1, it's a really creative tool, I only wish they brought out a special edition that had some more control, and often I find I can`t quite get the sweet spot I want as I have no control over the envelopes.

It`s still great though.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Any other comps besides MJUC you are using for mix bus duties these days? Been trying DDMF Magic Death Eye and Pulsar Vari-Mu, both of which have gotten a lot of praise in the usual place. I can't tell if they are definitively better than MJUC but they seem to be able to achieve certain kinds of movements that MJUC can't. MJUC has more flexible envelopes though, which is nice.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah sure I use different compressors depending on what I am trying to do or achieve..
I'm really liking the new SKNote PSLTube Comp (not out until the 14th), it's great on the mix, can be transparent or dirty, moves really nicely, comparable to the hardware Vastaso (which I have). The process of creating that plugin is worth a read, pretty crazy.

DMG Compassion is one of the true kings of mastering compression. You can bespoke it to exactly the timing type appropriate for the exact tune you are working for. It has save me many times.

Presswerk is like compassion but for when you need a little more character (and colouring the mix buss is not something you always want to do). Again, really lovely compression.

SKNote SDHC is really nice, it`s a little trick to dial in as the sidechain EQ is non variable, but when it fits the discreet compressor has a very familiar and musical sucking and pushing that I love to use when I want to drive a track forwards.

Kotelinikov Gentlemans Edition is stunning, it's probably my main go to for the 2 buss outside of hardware. Separating the peak and the RMS is just awesome for mix buss duties.

Sound Radix Powair is pretty insane, I use it on stuff that is very vocal centred and it's ridiculously transparent. It's as close to magic as I have found.

Kush Audio Novatron and AR1 are also great, the AR1 is maybe not something I reach for for fast and heavy dance/electronic music though.

For the most part I steer away from emulations that try to directly emulate specific stuff as I feel it always cripples some of the positives of software based compressors by throwing them away. It's why I like the MJUC, it gives you loose emulations with modern additions. It still sounds great, is versatile, crazyily affordable, easy to use but you can dig in and get more complex. When you add everything up it's hard to beat.

There`s a bunch of other stuff I use too depending on the tune I am working on. Compression is my big obsession, I`m not going to dive too deeply into this stuff here, as this is a tutorial thread dealing with 2buss basics.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cheers. Yeah, I've seen the new Sknote, haven't tried it yet though. I have the SKnote SDC but I don't have it installed currently, maybe I'll dig it out again.

I'm also gonna try Novatron when they finally drop the hardware Ilok requirement, which they've announced they will do.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I have another question, what's your take on dual mono / unlinked stereo mix bus compression? Unlinked obviously sounds a bit wider and more open but it seems like it could be too much on the mix bus.

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

dubdub wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:39 am
I have another question, what's your take on dual mono / unlinked stereo mix bus compression? Unlinked obviously sounds a bit wider and more open but it seems like it could be too much on the mix bus.
I tried once, but on a more traditional style of music (basically a 50s r'n'b/60s surf inspired band) - and I quickly switched the stereo link back on. It sounded very unnatural to me, and really messed up the phantom center image. But I guess this depends a lot on the source and could possibly work better on the "unrealistic" soundscapes you'll typically have in a techno mix. And well, if it sounds good to you and translates well on targeted systems, go for it - techno is about (ab)using our technological toys defaults in rather unorthodox ways, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

EDIT: thinking twice about it, it might actually add some interesting movement. I'll have to give it a try on some techno track :ugeek:
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:39 am
Well, on the stereo bus you are looking for dynamic consistency. I can't think of many situations where you want dual mono on the 2bus, if it is required it probably means the mix is janky and needs sorting out.
New Shit

Tom Sigmond
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Tom Sigmond »

dubdub wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:06 pm
Any other comps besides MJUC you are using for mix bus duties these days? Been trying DDMF Magic Death Eye and Pulsar Vari-Mu, both of which have gotten a lot of praise in the usual place. I can't tell if they are definitively better than MJUC but they seem to be able to achieve certain kinds of movements that MJUC can't. MJUC has more flexible envelopes though, which is nice.
The one I didn't seem named is the alpha compressor from Elysia. Though, programmed to use as a master compressor it can be great to mix into it 2.
And for Logic users, Just the stock logic platina compressor can be very good sounding on the right material.

TOm

TheDarkInstall
Unfriended

Post by TheDarkInstall »

Excellent thread. Bookmarked for later.

TheDarkInstall
Unfriended

Post by TheDarkInstall »

Finally got around to trying this out.

Excellent results and I totally get it. Thanks so much for posting this and explaining so well.

Zero_Idea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Zero_Idea »

Hey Steve and others,

New to the forum, but have been doing a deep dive into a lot of the threads and practicing all of these new techniques.

With this 2 buss compression, is there anything I would do differently if the track has two grooves? For example, a four to the floor section and a broken beat section. Will be experimenting in the meantime.

Zero_Idea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Zero_Idea »

Just reread the beginning of the thread, already answered! I missed it on the first pass. Thank you for the guide Steve!