Audiothing 'Outer Space' (Space Echo emulation)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Audiothing 'Outer Space' (Space Echo emulation)

Post by dubdub »

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/outer-space/

Was browsing Gearslutz yesterday (god knows why) and I came across this thing that apparently just came out and it's amazing. Sounds fantastic, much brighter and clearer (in a good way) than the Space Echo model in Echoboy, for example. My favorite sounding Space Echo emulation i've heard so far and it has some neat options, for example you can choose between original, new and worn down tape and you can sync/manually dial in each individual tape head. You can also dial in the amount of noise (which sounds very nice) and wow and flutter. You can even click the edges for that authentic hitting on your Space Echo sound :)

Haven't got around to buying it yet but for 40 bucks it seems like a no-brainer.

Here's me playing around with the demo, just a saw chord and no other fx.

TMobotron
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!
Re: Audiothing 'Outer Space' (Space Echo emulation)

Post by TMobotron »

Sounds pretty nice to me! I've been looking for a good space echo emulation for awhile now, but ~$200 for the Echoboy/UAD plug-ins had me looking at some similarly priced hardware alternatives instead.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

TMobotron wrote:Sounds pretty nice to me! I've been looking for a good space echo emulation for awhile now, but ~$200 for the Echoboy/UAD plug-ins had me looking at some similarly priced hardware alternatives instead.
I don't think there's any proper hardware alternatives at that price point, just software emulation in a box like the Boss-RE20, but might aswell get something cheap like this then.

TMobotron
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by TMobotron »

Software in a box is what I was looking at - I just like to get away from the computer sometimes and have some dedicated knobs to turn. RE-20 and El Capistan were two I was considering at the time.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Haven't tried this one, neither have I had a chance to play with a real Roland one, but I occasionally enjoy the dub machines' magnetic. It' rather heavy on the CPU though. https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/dub-machines/
Keep in mind, Echoboy does a lot more than the space echo thing.

On hardware: I have the Strymon Timeline and the EHX Cathedral. Although the Strymon is a super device, I seem to enjoy Cathedral more for live tweaking. Combining the two...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

borg wrote:Keep in mind, Echoboy does a lot more than the space echo thing.
Yeah, I know. So far I think they compliment each other nicely. Echoboy does a lot of things but I don't think it does that really crazy, viceral feedback as well as the space echo and the spring verb in there is nice too. I'm a delay fiend so i'm just going to use both :D

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

The stuff at SoundCloud sounds pretty dull and sterile to me. Surrealmachines (.com) is launching their fantastic m4l extensions for VST soon for a similar price (I think).

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I agree that it sounds a bit clean compared to some other space echo emulations but that's why I actually like it, it's nice to pair with a more dirty and slurry delay like Echoboy. Can't compare to the M4l extensions since there's no demo but I will check out the Dub Machines thing when it comes to VST.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hard to say what does or doesn't sound like a space echo as units generally sound different especially with age.

I've been using this for years http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=26
It's pretty dirty.

Still love audio damage dubdelay (though it's a bucket brigade delay)

Hardware wise I use the TC electronic alter ego x4 which is really great.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I do love Dubstation. I've tried the GS-201 plug in the past but it was just a bit too dirty to fit into my tracks and the lack of sync is a bit of a pain in the ass. I do like this one because it has more options and it fits into almost every kind of track. Apparently the guy that made it himself was surprised at how clean his unit sounds when he compared it with others.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

On a different note, GSi's Watkat is another must-have freebie. Love its filth!

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=36

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Also related to delay, I just saw that Sean Costello from Valhalla is working on a delay plugin and apparently it's going to come out this year. If it's as good as his verbs then it'll be the delay plugin to end all delay plugins :)

Opuswerk
beast

Post by Opuswerk »

+1 for the surreal machine magnetic device. It's really good and in all my recent work.
out on DEMENT3DXXX.
http://www.opuswerk.com

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Well, it's a perfect fit for your music, so I think it makes a lot of sense for you to get it.

As far as delays go, I love Echoboy and also this BBD-style delay plugin for Reason that's absolutely mental (and I wish/hope it gets ported to VST/AU): https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -ensemble/

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Just as a heads up, this thing just got a really nice update. Additional pan/volume/time control and a nice feedback EQ, which can really warm up the feedback and give the unit more of an aged feel.