Audio Interface

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Alume
Confetti
Audio Interface

Post by Alume »

Yes an other topic on interfaces:)

So guys I am undecided between the RME Fireface UC ( http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_uc.phpand ) the RME Fireface UCX (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ucx.php ).

Atm, I'm selling most of my hardware and running some really great software on the Push2 and additional percussion coming form the Rytm and soon Machinedrum too.

In the future I see myself keeping drums otb and using more softsynths with push. Though i want to stay flexible at I also really like hardware and making music with it.

I'm also planning on getting a mixer with individual outs in the far future.

To rap it up, the main thing I'm looking for is a soundcard with enough I/O, like the RME's have.

Atm I wouldnt know why i would pay more for the UCX though thats why I'm asking if I shoudl just go with th UC or at least consider the UCX.

8-)

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Audio Interface

Post by PixelKind »

The main difference seems to be that the UCX has Totalmix FX and the UC only got the regular Totalmix software. Here is the comparison chart:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products_features_table.php

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

If you think 8 ins and outs will always be enough, that's a decent option I'm sure. I've never heard RME kit but people seem to rate it highly.

What I can recommend is MOTU 16A. 16 in and out plus all the normal adat / optical expansion. Sounds amazing.

If there's any chance you'll ever want to sell 8 in / 8 out and get more, I would say defo save for longer and get 16 in / 16 out now. It'll save money in the long run...

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Both the UC and UCX have ADAT so they can be expanded with more I/O in the future

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

hmm thanks for the input guys, really helpfull. If I'd have to choose between the uc and the ucs ill get the cheaper one.

Do you own the motu Terry? It looks nice, but i read some where a while ago that the motu break pretty easily.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've never heard of anyone breaking motu gear. They are one of the best companies out there for reliability and product support.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

Check out the new MOTU Ultralite mk4 - its very similar to UCX but has even more outputs, great DSP power, pretty cool wireless control features and it is almost 2x cheaper. Definitely the best price/performance ratio in this class.
http://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4/

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Alume wrote:hmm thanks for the input guys, really helpfull. If I'd have to choose between the uc and the ucs ill get the cheaper one.

Do you own the motu Terry? It looks nice, but i read some where a while ago that the motu break pretty easily.
Yeah, had it for six months now. I can't see anything on it which I would imagine is breakable or flimsy. The case is solid, the connectors are solid.

Regarding the internals, well you never know how long the PSU lasts for example, but I am not aware of MOTU stuff being bad in this way. Certainly it doesn't have the same reputation as the cheaper TC Electronic stuff for example.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Fair enough. I will consider it! As i domt bees midi and all that crap. Just i/o

Thanks perial will check it out too:)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Is the lack of preamps a problem? ( with the 16a )

I dont use mics atm but i might use (just one) in the future.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Happy Motu owner, first 828 mK2 and now Motu 828 MK3 rolling together with Focusrite saffire pro 40 for added ins and outs.
Love the Motu products, never had issues, great quality, easy to sync with other audio interfaces, you can use them without a computer, built in compressor/limiter/reverb and great price on the second hand market.
No Bass Lines For Me!

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Alume wrote:Is the lack of preamps a problem? ( with the 16a )

I dont use mics atm but i might use (just one) in the future.
Not for me, cos I built a couple of Neve 1073 clones when I want to record using microphones.

The preamps on soundcards are notoriously crappy anyway. Note that I have no direct experience of the preamps on the RME stuff you linked to so I'm not talking specifically about them, but in 'proper' recording circles, the choice would always be to use separate preamps rather then the built in preamps of the audio interface if the choice is available.

I'd rather spend all my money on the analogue IO primarily. Things like preamps, built in FX and other extra stuff just means that R & D and production costs have been spent on stuff which I don't need or want to use.

Are you based in Ams? You're welcome to come and have a look / listen if you decide you might be interested in MOTU.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Not based in ams but you know, small country.

Im actually really drawn to it. I just want a shit load of line in/out!!

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Im getting the a16, thanks for the advice terry.

Its a bit to expensive atm. I was able to get a good deal om hepta's motu ultralite so im going with that for the coming months, until i can afford the motu a16. Dont need that many i/o atm either.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

terryfalafel wrote: What I can recommend is MOTU 16A. 16 in and out plus all the normal adat / optical expansion. Sounds amazing.
very tasty.

or you can get the older model 24i/o or have a couple of 1208's like I do. 8-)
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Im currently using the Fire Face UC, Ive never used the UCX. The UC is fantastic, great build and sound quality compared to some other interfaces ive used.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Alume wrote:Im getting the a16, thanks for the advice terry.

Its a bit to expensive atm. I was able to get a good deal om hepta's motu ultralite so im going with that for the coming months, until i can afford the motu a16. Dont need that many i/o atm either.

Nice! It is expensive, and not a 'fun' kind of purchase but a decent audio interface is a good investment...

Well, my studio is still not properly set up after recently moving house, but since you aren't buying for a bit there might still be time to come over and hear it before you buy it if ya like. I need to get some electrical stuff sorted and then everything will hopefully be set up before Christmas

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

terryfalafel wrote:
Alume wrote:Im getting the a16, thanks for the advice terry.

Nice! It is expensive, and not a 'fun' kind of purchase but a decent audio interface is a good investment...

Well, my studio is still not properly set up after recently moving house, but since you aren't buying for a bit there might still be time to come over and hear it before you buy it if ya like. I need to get some electrical stuff sorted and then everything will hopefully be set up before Christmas
Yeah sure, might be inspiring. Ill keep it at the back of my mind.

Not sure if i can ever tell if an interface sounds good or not though, haha.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:
terryfalafel wrote:

Yeah sure, might be inspiring. Ill keep it at the back of my mind.

Not sure if i can ever tell if an interface sounds good or not though, haha.
in my experience, I think you can usually only tell if it's good or if it's cheapish,
but not if it's good or great, that depends far too much on the monitors and the room.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

All interfaces sound pretty much the same, your money is going on inputs, drivers, support, build quality and preamps. Output wise they all sound pretty much the same, I have had utterly ridiculous mastering grade stuff and decent prosumer stuff and the differences are neglible, and that`s on full range mastering speakers in a purpose built mastering room..
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.