It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 am 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Lost to the Void wrote:
Bored of your monitors...... erm..
You have problems sir....
More problems than getting new monitors will fix.


I use that to make some interesting music :D

I'm open to passives, but it is not something i've considered. Ideally i'd like to know the best options for actives in that price range, but then i'll take into account the benefits of passives (I've read previous topics on them in the forum so I know what's up, but just need the names to research etc.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
I mean, at that price point, going active, you are pretty much just moving sideways, adam a77x is a pretty good monitor, there`s not a lot worth slipping over to that will give you a better experience.

You could try the munro egg 150`s, they have a super clean sound.
Dynaudio Lyd 48`s are getting good talk, though I`ve not heard any. They are genuine 3 ways.

All the really juicy actives are out of your price bracket.

I`d spend the money on treating your room, you`ll get much more noticable difference and improvement.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 am 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Those dynaudios look superb, sorta like the Neumann KH310 (Too fucking expensive).

Yeah i've thought about a 3-way set-up, but i'm in a tiny tiny tiny square bedroom... and I literally mean bedroom as in half the room is occupied. I don't know how a 8 inch driver would fare in here, as i've noticed that the bass in the A7X's isn't well represented in here even with partial treatment.

I've looked at Focal CMS 65, Gen 8040 as well as KH 120. But as you mentioned, I don't just want to go sideways. Adams are great, but I just feel like something is missing representation wise and I know I could be better off with a different set.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
Well if you are in a small room then go for the munroe`s. Super clean sound, dynamic response is tight as a gnats arse, I would say perfect for small rooms.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Those Eggs seem to be proper, thanks. Ugly as hell, but hey as long as they do the job.

So it's between the Eggs, Gen 8040B, CMS 65, and KH 120.

I'll find some time to test them (if they're even available here) and will decide from there.

Open to any other options.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm 
Offline
Pig
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 pm
Posts: 122
Don't have anything to add other than this is why I'm on this forum, thread gold.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
For some reason Senko, I was seeing A7x but my mind was saying A77x.

So actually, there is quite a lot within your budget that will give you better performance.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 am 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Lost to the Void wrote:
For some reason Senko, I was seeing A7x but my mind was saying A77x.

So actually, there is quite a lot within your budget that will give you better performance.


I'm highly confined to making a purchase based off of 'sheet stats'. There's not really anywhere within a 50-100km radius that stocks proper monitors outside of KRKs and Yams.

The A7X's just feel as if they have a veil over them. They're flat as shit, great, but they just sound... Dull? And my mixes have been dipped in the crossover point so there's that.

Locally there are Genelecs and Dynaudios so i'll be testing them over the weekend hopefully. (8040 vs bm6a)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
You gotta try the Presonus sceptres.
Used em in a few studios, amazing, recommended them to a number of people who are all very happy with them.
Super focused speakers, very clear image, punchy and fast.

I'd also consider the Pioneer RM07. Dual concentric again (DC tech has come a long way), but actually designed by a really well known genius historical speaker designer at TAD labs, which is a sort of independent hi tech branch of pioneer who make amazing 40 grand mastering monitors. Anyway, these are very impressive monitors. Definitely worth testing, again, really good for small rooms. I nearly got a pair of these. Very tight, honest, and wonderful imaging.

I'd also consider focal shape 65s. Like the previous range for focal (which were really good) but with passive radiators instead of ports, so again, great for a small room, less boundary issues. I've not heard them, but the previous range of alpha 65s were really nice, focal know their shit.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:22 am 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Read on GS that MunroSonic is being liquidated and that their warranty is essentially worthless. Some people were complaining of blown amps with no way to get a replacement/repair (Take it with a pinch of salt since it is GS after-all).

Going to some shops tomorrow and i'll see if they have Presonus Sceptres. I checked to see what they do have and its inclusive of APS Klasiks, Gen 8040, CMS 65, and some other audiophile speakers I couldn't be bothered with remembering.

What's the consensus with Genelics as i've seen some... Salt in regards to them. I only ask because some of my favorite guys produce on them and swear by them. Oh well, I guess i'll find out tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:47 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
Genelecs, at least the mid priced and above, just don`t work in small rooms. They are traditionally mid forward, which is grating unless you have a decent room.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 am 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 322
Location: US
Had a chance to test the Gen 8040's and CMS 65's next to the A7X's. There were some lower-tier Presonus monitors, but they weren't worth checking out.

The store monitor room had no treatment and all of the monitors were essentially stacked on top of each-other. Absolute shit acoustics all throughout.

The Gens were definitely the brighter monitors and the bass seemed tighter, but for some reason the stereo image just didn't sit right with me. Felt that the Adams had better imaging, and The CMS monitors were even a step above that.

Unfortunately the only shop with Focal Shapes was 400km away, so that's a no go, but now I'm really intrigued in the Focal line of monitors. Would be nice to hear some feedback on them from one of you guys if the chance arrives. The world is that they're very comparable to Solo 6's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 am 
Offline
Unfriended
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:14 am
Posts: 35
Location: Istanbul
Just spoke to Gear4music.com who are selling the Munro Sonic Egg 150 for £999. I called them because I was concerned about the above comment saying that the company had gone into administration: it's not the case. Apparently (according to the gear4music guy) the dude who designed the speakers, presumably Munro, left to start a new company and took the old stock with him and is now selling it cheaper.

If you look around there are some places still selling it for 2k which is nuts when others are selling for 1k.

I'm also looking at the KH120 and the Focal Shape range, but if the Eggs can be bought at 1k and the amp comes with a good headphone amp.... it seems like a no brainer?

Sadly I can't test anything. The only monitors I'm familiar with are Genelec M040 (served me well so far but I want something a bit more clinical/more mid range definition), Adam A7X (sounds sterile and unpleasant to my ears) and some big Mackies a friend has (nothing special but the room they're in is diabolical).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline
reverse genius

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm
Posts: 244
OK, I was going to make another topic, op but I think this question will help people. I am totally fine with my headphones (AKG k701) and i have an untreated room. I've finally gotten used to them I think and I'd just like some monitors to A/B comparison to see if my mixes are fishy or if something's drowning in reverb etc. Think it's a bit of an overkill to get monitors if i have an untreated room and am comfortable with my cans?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 am 
Offline
Interact. Don't Spam.

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 pm
Posts: 26
I personally have the Adams a8x and holy *BLEEEP* do they sound amazing, Just be aware that you WILL have to sit at some distance from the monitors because these shits have BASSSSSSS, My room is 20x30 and it still raddled the floor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am 
Offline
Alf Garnett

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 am
Posts: 167
thekidhenry wrote:
I personally have the Adams a8x and holy *BLEEEP* do they sound amazing, Just be aware that you WILL have to sit at some distance from the monitors because these shits have BASSSSSSS, My room is 20x30 and it still raddled the floor.


i could be wrong but loudness and lots of bass doesn't necessarily mean a good monitor.
I'm looking for an accurate, present bass response at low listening levels.

Sealed cabinets seem to be the way to go for this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
Interact. Don't Spam.

Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 pm
Posts: 1
Lost to the Void wrote:
You gotta try the Presonus sceptres.
Used em in a few studios, amazing, recommended them to a number of people who are all very happy with them.
Super focused speakers, very clear image, punchy and fast.

I'd also consider the Pioneer RM07. Dual concentric again (DC tech has come a long way), but actually designed by a really well known genius historical speaker designer at TAD labs, which is a sort of independent hi tech branch of pioneer who make amazing 40 grand mastering monitors. Anyway, these are very impressive monitors. Definitely worth testing, again, really good for small rooms. I nearly got a pair of these. Very tight, honest, and wonderful imaging.

I'd also consider focal shape 65s. Like the previous range for focal (which were really good) but with passive radiators instead of ports, so again, great for a small room, less boundary issues. I've not heard them, but the previous range of alpha 65s were really nice, focal know their shit.


Im thinking about getting new monitors and dont have any oppurtunity to listen and compare Pioneer RM-07 or Focal Shape 65. Which do you think would be the best bet for me as a hobby producer?
I think I read somewhere the Shape 65 got some phasing issues beacuse of the passive radiator, but some claims those to be very good and does not mention phase issues. Hard to use online opinions sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
buffered wrote:
thekidhenry wrote:
I personally have the Adams a8x and holy *BLEEEP* do they sound amazing, Just be aware that you WILL have to sit at some distance from the monitors because these shits have BASSSSSSS, My room is 20x30 and it still raddled the floor.


i could be wrong but loudness and lots of bass doesn't necessarily mean a good monitor.
I'm looking for an accurate, present bass response at low listening levels.

Sealed cabinets seem to be the way to go for this.


Yep, A8x is probably the worst of the mid level Adams range. the larger 8 inch (ported too, so slow response)woofer means that it can`t do the mids quite as well and that means the weight of that drops over to the ribbon tweaters. And ribbons are great for top end, but their low mid limitations are not so good. So the A8X has a bit of a smile curve sound and is weak in the mids where you really want your nearfields to be at their strongest. A7s or even A5`s are a better choice.

Either sealed or passive radiator is your best bet for tight response.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8673
HAL9000 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
You gotta try the Presonus sceptres.
Used em in a few studios, amazing, recommended them to a number of people who are all very happy with them.
Super focused speakers, very clear image, punchy and fast.

I'd also consider the Pioneer RM07. Dual concentric again (DC tech has come a long way), but actually designed by a really well known genius historical speaker designer at TAD labs, which is a sort of independent hi tech branch of pioneer who make amazing 40 grand mastering monitors. Anyway, these are very impressive monitors. Definitely worth testing, again, really good for small rooms. I nearly got a pair of these. Very tight, honest, and wonderful imaging.

I'd also consider focal shape 65s. Like the previous range for focal (which were really good) but with passive radiators instead of ports, so again, great for a small room, less boundary issues. I've not heard them, but the previous range of alpha 65s were really nice, focal know their shit.


Im thinking about getting new monitors and dont have any oppurtunity to listen and compare Pioneer RM-07 or Focal Shape 65. Which do you think would be the best bet for me as a hobby producer?
I think I read somewhere the Shape 65 got some phasing issues beacuse of the passive radiator, but some claims those to be very good and does not mention phase issues. Hard to use online opinions sometimes.


I`ve not heard that, and I would probably say it`s bunkum. Passive radiators don`t work like that, they aren`t working in opposition to anything, they are coupled.

However, I got to work with some of the Pioneers again recently, and man are they good. I'd go for them. My problem with actives is the shitty Class D amps they put in em, but these babies have got some nice Class A/B jobs in em, they are built like fucking tanks. Most of all though, they sound great, the porting is super clever, you just don`t hear it, and the imaging is very forgiving for placement, the low end
I would say, for a project studio these are close to being the kings at the entry level price range to "serious" nearfields.
You can`t go wrong with anything touched by TAD labs.
Or the Sceptres are also worth a purchase.

I want a pair now, but can`t afford them as I have to buy a new PC for the production room.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Latest Release
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
Master Bat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm
Posts: 2664
Location: Berlin
Lost to the Void wrote:

Yep, A8x is probably the worst of the mid level Adams range.


Dean replaced his monitors with the A8x lately. He has a proper treated studio where we jam together very often and i have to say that they do sound great.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid
http://soundcloud.com/sphaereon
Bandcamp: https://monoxid.bandcamp.com/

Image

BandoftheHand's girlfriend is getting wet when listening to Mono.xID tracks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.