It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Another mid budget monitor thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 pm 
Interchangeable

That`s the low end hifi effect though.
Mid range is more important.
You can`t compare them to the detail of new generation dual concentric stuff.
Technology moves on....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm 
Little chief

Lost to the Void wrote:
I'm getting some Polk LSiM 703s at the end of the year. I want to get away from actives.

Hey Void, you seem to have a pretty good understanding of the monitor options out there, so I figured i'd ask you a quick question on this. I have a pretty outdated setup and have come to the realization that an upgrade is in my near future. I currently have a super old and cheap set of Tannoy Reaveals. They are passive 6" monitors and have them amp'd with an old 300w per ch JBL club amp (MPX300). After listening to a few mid-range active monitors, i also felt like none of them had a big enough amp pushing them. While my amp is probably too big for my monitors (i've got them too hot and almost blown them a few times over the years), i felt like most of the active's under $1k left me wanting more punch, more volume, more bass... My little Tannoy's sound really loud with a big amp behind them. I would like to find a new setup and keep it under $1k. Question is, do I scrap the amp and go with one of the other recommendations for active monitors? or do i keep the amp and buy a better set of passive speakers? Buying a new amp and passives will probably put me over budget. Is using my existing amp in some way negatively affecting my sound? I always worried that not having a "matching" amp would sacrifice clarity and detail and lead to shit productions. I've learned to deal with my existing setup but would love something a bit more accurate. What's your thought on the matter? For reference, i use my monitors for techno production but also like to occasionally turn them up and jam with my buddies, dj, etc. I realize that we mostly produce a low volume, but all techno needs to be played loud once in a while!! :) Thanks for all the valuable feedback you provide in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm 
Interchangeable

That`s a pretty brutal amp to be using for nearfield speakers, I wouldn`t say it`s the best thing to use as the dynamics are going to be lacking subtlety.

You could sell the amp and get a niced used amp for up to a 100 bucks and it will still blow away most of the amps you get in mid prices actives. A Cyrus or something.

I`m pretty sure if you shop clever you could get some wonderful passives and used amp for 1K

Obviously going mid ranged active is a bit easier. I could never go back to active nearfields now, not unless I spent a silly amount of money, but........ I am very very particular now.
There is nothing saying you can`t do great great work on mid range actives, lots and lots of people do.

Bang for buck though, you will probably get more performance for your money going passive with amp. But it`s more tricky to navigate that arena.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm 
Little chief

Lost to the Void wrote:
Bang for buck though, you will probably get more performance for your money going passive with amp. But it`s more tricky to navigate that arena.

Yeah that's kinda what i'm thinking. Any nice passives come to mind? Most of the market hype seems to be in the midrange actives. Don't really hear to much about nice passives. Did you demo those Polk speakers? They look like nice 3-ways. I know a Polk dealer here so may be able to get decent deal if they're worth it. Anyway, thx for the info