Post by OHADOHAD »

Satson will make your mixing life so much easier
No Bass Lines For Me!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Sonimus TuCo

Post by dubdub »

The_G wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:You put decapitator on every channel in your mix?
Sometimes. You can use it as a console emulation, just keep drive low and use the filters and tone knob to shape the sound. Then turn the drive up if you want saturation. So fairly similar to Satson in that regard, just doesn't have the gain staging feature, or the organizational advantages. But I like the coloration that the E channel (Chandler/TMI TG emulation) brings in.

I fully realize that I'm probably just unfamiliar with Satson, and so not getting what I want out of it yet, but so far I seem to get better results using Decapitator like this. Still learning Satson, though.
The whole point of console emulation is that the individual tracks, the groups and the master talk to each other and get summed together, just like with a real console. I use Decapitator a lot but it doesn't do that. Satson results in a nice cohesive sheen and subtle crosstalk depth but it's quite subtle, even if you drive it really hard it doesn't do agressive distortion like Decapitator.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:
The whole point of console emulation is that the individual tracks, the groups and the master talk to each other and get summed together, just like with a real console. I use Decapitator a lot but it doesn't do that. Satson results in a nice cohesive sheen and subtle crosstalk depth but it's quite subtle, even if you drive it really hard it doesn't do agressive distortion like Decapitator.
It's a major point, not the whole point. Also (emulated) analog coloration and, with channel strip plugins at least, emulated analog console workflow. Decapitator does a great job with analog coloration, and I rarely drive it hard.

Like I said above, I just haven't gotten good results with Satson yet. They may come with time.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

You probably expect too much. It's not a night and day thing, you have to listen closely to hear the difference. It doesn't replace obvious saturation like Decap, which is pretty heavy even at small drive levels.

My favorite thing about Satson, are actually the filters, they're smooth as butter and don't really sound like filters, they still sound incredibly natural even with large cuts. Decap's filters are more typical HP/LP filters, they're fine but I wouldn't use them for channel strip EQ purposes.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Satson, in day to day usage is not about colouration. It's more about the depth it adds to a mix. You can push it but I rarely do.
Literally would never work without it these days.
It all adds up gently, and mixes have a more natural feel that has more "realness" to it.
Desks dont add massive colouration. Decapitator whilst an amazing plugin, is way too heavy handed to do the same, it certainly doesn't do the nice thing dynamically that satson or britson do in fat mode, even when run lightly.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Lost to the Void wrote:Satin, in day to day usage is not about colouration. It's more about the depth it adds to a mix. You can push it but I rarely do.
Literally would never work without it these days.
It all adds up gently, and mixes have a more natural feel that has more "realness" to it.
Desks dont add massive colouration. Decapitator whilst an amazing plugin, is way too heavy handed to do the same, it certainly doesn't do the nice thing dynamically that satson or britson do in fat mode, even when run lightly.
Regarding fat mode - out of curiosity how do you run it? In grouping mode you can lock it on per bus or turn it off and selectively use it per insert. Have you found mixing into a fat-locked group to yield any benefits? I can't decide.

I love Satson.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Has anyone here actually bought this? I randomly checked out the demo and on my first impression it sounds amazing. You can also use it just as a tube saturation/distortion unit, which sounds great to my ears and I'm usually not the biggest fan of tube distortion. I've been using it on a group and drums and love what it does to them. It's also very low CPU. I'm not a compressor expert though. Steve / Mattias, did you try/buy it? If so, how do the limiting and compression mode differ? How does it compare to MJUC?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It's on my buy list.
Might get it this week, I am a bit compressor obsessive.
Been enjoying Kush audio ubk-1 and novatron as of late.
But yeah been looking to pull the trigger on the TuCo for a while.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

dubdub wrote:Has anyone here actually bought this? I randomly checked out the demo and on my first impression it sounds amazing. You can also use it just as a tube saturation/distortion unit, which sounds great to my ears and I'm usually not the biggest fan of tube distortion. I've been using it on a group and drums and love what it does to them. It's also very low CPU. I'm not a compressor expert though. Steve / Mattias, did you try/buy it? If so, how do the limiting and compression mode differ? How does it compare to MJUC?
Not yet, I'm curious though. Will try this one and the DMG track compressor as soon as I can.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Track comp is great mate.
I think a little pricey, but really good.
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

samnatur wrote:
pimo wrote:
samnatur wrote:I can recommend Eventide Omnipressor
Looks interesting, but quite expensive. Could you elaborate on why you recommend it and how you use it?
It's a very special compressor, it can be veeeery extreme. It's great for sound design, you can really squish the sounds in very interesting ways. Also it just has a good sound to it, it sounds kind of "raw", i don't know how to explain it properly.

Anyway, it's great for reshaping drums, it can bring out a lot of frequencies and really squeeze them.
Nice. I use Vice One and Rough Rider for those kind of applications.

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Sale on TuCo and StonEQ 4K at the moment.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Rickskii wrote:Sale on TuCo and StonEQ 4K at the moment.
Thanks for the heads up, do you know how long the sale lasts?

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Their sales are kind of odd. No announcements and time varies. Last time TuCo was on sale it was about 2 weeks. This went on today by the way.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cheers, I might just pull the trigger this week. The next time there is a sale on Burnley73 I'll probably also buy that, I don't really need the EQ but the saturation sounds really nice to my ears. Especially on synth it just gives a really nice, classy crunch.

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Yes love the Burnley, I have only had it a few weeks. Stuck it on everything since. Just need to learn Satson properly as I can't seem to get it right.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Just got an email that the sale on TuCo lasts until the end of the weekend.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

dubdub wrote:Cheers, I might just pull the trigger this week. The next time there is a sale on Burnley73 I'll probably also buy that, I don't really need the EQ but the saturation sounds really nice to my ears. Especially on synth it just gives a really nice, classy crunch.

If you don't need the eq but after the preamp stage I'd recommend looking at the Black Rooster VPRE73, it's half price atm as well so it's only about $15, I picked it up last November and use it everywhere, it sounds amazing and the shelf on it is very useful. I tried Burnley73 a long time ago so don't remember it or know how they'd compare.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Hah, funny you mention that one, I came across it this weekend. Yeah, it sounds great. I've been trying it around 60% on the master and it gives the track that very subtle analog feel that's really hard to achieve otherwise ITB.

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

Hmm looks interesting this one..

Anyone else tried it?