Transient Designing

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Merah
arsehole
Transient Designing

Post by Merah »

I work in headphones only (dt770's).

Whenever i increase transients they sound fairly shit, whenever i decrease i prefer.. Is this resulting in unexciting tracks? I wonder if its a symptom of making poor descisions based on the information I'm receiving from my headphones...
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: Transient Designing

Post by Barfunkel »

I have DT770's too.

I've noticed that they don't really reveal low frequency transients very well. Kicks and basslines sometimes got these nasty clicks in the beginning that are VERY apparent on any speakers, but the Beyers seem to make them almost disappear.

Could be just my limited hearing too of course, impossible to tell.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

snitch
fake

Post by snitch »

I have those as well. And i also have the AKG K-240 MKII because they are the exact opposite of the beyers.
Anyway. I have a super shitty studio room and i only use the headphones when i want to identify things in my mix. Or when its late at night. But when it comes to transients i cant trust them. Too many long headphone sessions resulted in total dissapointment the next day. Especially kicks and stuff would have way too much mid and high frequencies.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

yes i have the same problem with Beyers. Sounding fine on 990's and then unpleasant clicks on monitors. very very frustrating. I also think that this is a combination of my monitors being small nearfields and the beyers accentuating bass frequencies somewhat.
I almost end up aiming for an imaginary mix that sits somewhere inbetween headphone and monitor.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

snitch wrote: Too many long headphone sessions resulted in total dissapointment the next day. Especially kicks and stuff would have way too much mid and high frequencies.
Except from being unreliable (not mentioning the very high end headphones), the problem with headphones is also that you often listen to loud and your ears get tired.
With those tired ears you often make bad mixes, that don't sound the same with a pair of fresh ears.

arkos

Post by arkos »

snitch wrote:I have those as well. And i also have the AKG K-240 MKII because they are the exact opposite of the beyers.
Anyway. I have a super shitty studio room and i only use the headphones when i want to identify things in my mix. Or when its late at night. But when it comes to transients i cant trust them. Too many long headphone sessions resulted in total dissapointment the next day. Especially kicks and stuff would have way too much mid and high frequencies.
I had the same for years until I discovered Sonarworks Reference, stuff done on my cans now translates to the monitors pretty well.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

arkos wrote:
snitch wrote:I have those as well. And i also have the AKG K-240 MKII because they are the exact opposite of the beyers.
I had the same for years until I discovered Sonarworks Reference, stuff done on my cans now translates to the monitors pretty well.
just did a quick google,
but isn't that sonarworks some kind of room EQ thing ?
if so, why would that work for producing with cans ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

770s are probably a little woolly and slow in terms of transient response.
Listen at a lower volume and always try to monitor at the same level.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

pimo
rescued

Post by pimo »

Ive been struggling a little with transients as well lately. I mainly mix in cans, and i get the same problem as you, i usually want to bring some transients up when i switch to my monitors.
Ive been trying to focus on depth and width in my mixes lately and using transients as one method for bringing sounds back or forward in my mixes. And since i get a bit of a strange soundfield using cans ive been thinking that was the problem!?
Dont know if i made any sense here..

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

For the people having issues with transients and how they sound, a few more details would be helping. What are you doing to the transients? Are they too loud/too quiet? What kind of processing/sample selection? Etc...

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

The issue is quite hard to pinpoint really, i guess i could simplify the question by just asking, does mixing in headphones result in people making poor choices when it comes to transient elements?

Can someone recommend me a better headphone perhaps?

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Barfunkel wrote:I have DT770's too.

I've noticed that they don't really reveal low frequency transients very well. Kicks and basslines sometimes got these nasty clicks in the beginning that are VERY apparent on any speakers, but the Beyers seem to make them almost disappear.

Could be just my limited hearing too of course, impossible to tell.
I haven't noticed this phenomena. Maybe because i never get to reference on speakers. :(

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

that looks pretty sweet.

anyone else apart from Arkos got any experience with that ?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:
that looks pretty sweet.

anyone else apart from Arkos got any experience with that ?
If you know your headphones well I wouldn't bother. I got nothing from it other than second guessing perfectly good mixing decisions.

pimo wrote:And since i get a bit of a strange soundfield using cans ive been thinking that was the problem!?
Dont know if i made any sense here..
Redline monitor and it's ilk solved the soundfield issues I had with using headphones. I've never had any transient issues using 880's, I don't know if they handle them better than 770's and 990's.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

thx for the advice Planar.

I used to be rather fanatic about comparing my mixes between my monitors and my headphones when I was done with my arrangement of a track,
but nowadays I don't really bother that much any more.
I guess I just got used to my monitors too much,
or know them way better now.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

lol headphones, worst shit to produce ever!!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

mainst09 wrote:lol headphones, worst shit to produce ever!!
Well, not everyone is able to afford the luxury of a separate production room with acoustic treatment and professional monitors.

Some cheap monitors in the corner of a living room is in some ways worse than good headphones.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

I don't think he was serious hehe.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Barfunkel wrote:
mainst09 wrote:lol headphones, worst shit to produce ever!!
Well, not everyone is able to afford the luxury of a separate production room with acoustic treatment and professional monitors.

Some cheap monitors in the corner of a living room is in some ways worse than good headphones.

lol that is the worse excuse.

you think i have some really great monitors?

My monitors are some prodipe shit or whatever, one of them is losing bass i produce in an untreated room and you know what i think? im way better like this than with headphones.

If you want to check my music how it sounds then tell me if producing in untreated rooms is that bad lol
Voices From Cindy's Cunt