subsekt
subsekt
>>>>>Subsekt Mixing Challenge/Exercise *1*<<<<<

Post by Lost to the Void »

The first subsekt mixdown challenge.

Here are the links to the tracks.
http://we.tl/DWvfntZd8n

it is good till the 23rd april then I will have to re-up

Only 9 parts with no compression, EQ, mid side/stereo processing, panning or level correction.
Seems simple but some of the parts are quite "large", and some of the parts are completely transformed without EQ, so fitting it all together and getting it phat and punchy should be a good exercise. Use any tools and effects you think necessary to get thing to being a finished mix.
Post your results in here.

Here is the mastered final version to reference, though some of you might like more of a challenge by simply working blind with the material.

This track is as yet unreleased, so please keep any version of your final audio for streaming only, and sure, you can remix the track as well if you like but again, keep to streaming only, I will talk to the label if they are interested in a remix competition or something.

***as you work on this project try to keep some note of what you did, and once you upload your work to this forum also provides some notes on what you did, or highlight any areas that you found problematic or maybe areas where you coped more easily than you expected***
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: >>>>>Subsekt Mixing Challenge/Exercise *1*<<<<<

Post by Planar »

Cheers for doing this Steve. I'm looking forward to having a go and hearing others attempts.

Edit: wicked track as well. Love that synth string.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

How did you make sticky?
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I didn't, we don't have permissions for it- I had the same issue in members tracks. One of the Subsekt elders must have done it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ah the dark overlords.
New Shit

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

Awesome Steve! Many thanks for providing us with this material.. Wicked track also!!
Should we agree a time frame, and more importantly i think, to not upload anything before hand. So that all mixes are shared at the same time so we can properly examine all different mixes without any pre-info of sorts! (sorry for bad english slightly drunk atm..)
"People who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music"
Momentvm Records

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Definitely gonna do this. Thank you Steve!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Should be fun, will try it for shits and giggidy giggles ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I don't think a timeframe is necessary, a good mix can't be rushed.

If this goes well and people want to go deeper level, I can strip down one of the tracks from my most recent singularity release, which will have a lot more stuff to piece together with a higher level of complexity and challenge in terms of getting the mix to work.
It took me ages getting the tracks mixed correctly.
New Shit

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

See what happens this time around I guess. I know I had a go at the first couple challenges but failed miserably at getting something post worthy! Prob be the same this time around but it's def interesting to tackle it. Made me realise I was a long way off where I would like to be in terms of production ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think if you do it, then post it up, no matter what level you ink you are at.
I think it's a situation where everyone benefits, everyone can learn something and probably also teach something as there are different perspectives and approaches that are all valid.
New Shit

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

Lost to the Void wrote: If this goes well and people want to go deeper level, I can strip down one of the tracks from my most recent singularity release, which will have a lot more stuff to piece together with a higher level of complexity and challenge in terms of getting the mix to work.
It took me ages getting the tracks mixed correctly.
Nice :)
And thanks for supporting this idea so generously mate!!
"People who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music"
Momentvm Records

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Steve this is great! Thank you very much. I will do this myself but I'm away this weekend.
I might try and do something a bit different with it, I'll see what happens. I can't see this turning into a remix thread as well...
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Steve I think this proves you're a cunt. But not as much as we all thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It is a medical fact that a cunt adapts to the size of penis it is most used by.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Fixed your typo for you Steve ;)
Lost to the Void wrote:It is a medical fact that a cunt adapts to the size of penis it is most used by.It is a medical fact that a cunt adapts to the size of penis it is most used by.
It is a medical fact that a cunt adapts to the size of penis it is most used by.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

A truly spectacular subsekt derail has happened, we should frame it.
New Shit

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Right starting on this now. Decided I'm going to work blind and mix it how I would one of my own tracks to get the most out of the exercise. I've only listened to the track once and that was through this laptops speakers. I won't listen to it again until I'm done. Wish me luck, I'm gonna fucking need it....
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Okay, so after about 40 minutes I gave in and listened to the mastered version through my monitors. After an hour I gave up. I got to a point where I was just flipping between Ableton and the mastered version trying to get things to match which got frustrating quickly. I'd never of thought mixing someone else's work could be so hard. I guess I just proved how shite I am at this stuff.

:oops:

All I'll say in my (pitiful) defense though is that so much of what needs doing to the stems is what I'd do during the creative/writing/composing (or whatever you want to call it) process. The fact the track isn't my work I just found it really difficult to get that part done to get the stems to a place where I could mix them. I've always just worked along the lines of, if something needs doing, like some extreme eq'ing, panning etc etc, I just do it as I go. To me, mixing is literally just tweaking levels. Like I say, this really does highlight to me how little I actually know (which I admit was little to begin with).

Thanks for putting the challenge together Steve. For me, I'll learn more from an explanation of how you did it, if you choose to post one at a later date that is.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I think having the mastered version will be more harmful then helpful?
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005