Soundcards

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Senko
decent
Re: Soundcards

Post by Senko »

Well in the grand scheme of things it actually does matter. I contacted Focusrite Support and they also expressed their frustration with this missed feature.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

winston wrote:i use a M-Audio 1814, and have done for about 7 or 8 years. I chose that one because it had the most Inputs i could afford at that time, and i wanted individual Ins for my 909 and it gave me good outs so i could have 2 separate digital channels on a DJ mixer back in the days before Traktor existed.. The firewire aspect meant i had to buy a Macbook when my old Windows laptop died, as there were no windows laptops with a FW port available. I think the drivers might become unsupported soon by M-Audio, but shit happens.
the sierra update means my maudio1814 no longer has a driver, so i am looking for a new interface.

does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Focusrite Sapphire Pro40? i read in this thread that focusrite are decent. also, this might seem a bit stupid, but if i got a ADAT interface like the behringer ada8200, i would just plug them together and i'd have 16 in/out? is it that simple?

if you can recommend any cheap but good interfaces that have about 20+ in/outs, i'll listen.

thanks

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

winston wrote: if you can recommend any cheap but good interfaces that have about 20+ in/outs, i'll listen.
are you at any point gonna record 20 mono or 10 stereo sounds or any variation of that total number at the same time ?
Because if that's not the case, you're just gonna be paying for something you won't use.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Hades wrote:
winston wrote: if you can recommend any cheap but good interfaces that have about 20+ in/outs, i'll listen.
are you at any point gonna record 20 mono or 10 stereo sounds or any variation of that total number at the same time ?
Because if that's not the case, you're just gonna be paying for something you won't use.
yeah, kind of. i know that interfaces with that many in/outs can be expensive. i have 8 outs from sampler, 4 from tr8, 6 for send fx, plus i'm trying to win ebay bids for either another sampler and/or a filter. i'd use 8 outs into a dj mixer to traktor dj. i know what you're saying that the majority of the time there will be spare channels, but if i can avoid plugging/unplugging constantly i'd prefer it. if i can nab the focusrite and an adat thing, that would be 16 i think, which would be workable for sure. maybe it'd come to around £400 or less.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

winston wrote: yeah, kind of. i know that interfaces with that many in/outs can be expensive. i have 8 outs from sampler, 4 from tr8, 6 for send fx, plus i'm trying to win ebay bids for either another sampler and/or a filter. i'd use 8 outs into a dj mixer to traktor dj. i know what you're saying that the majority of the time there will be spare channels, but if i can avoid plugging/unplugging constantly i'd prefer it. if i can nab the focusrite and an adat thing, that would be 16 i think, which would be workable for sure. maybe it'd come to around £400 or less.
get a patch bay, and the plugging and unplugging will be very limited.
That way you can keep the stuff that you use almost all the time connected at all times,
and the stuff you don't use all the time... you just patch it in if you want to use it.

Years ago I bought a 32 channel mixer because I thought I would be using it a lot.
If I'd have to rebuy today, I'd only take 24 channels.
I did install 3 patch bays at the time (I still have most of my 3rd patch bay free), so I never have to unplug anything to my sound card or mixer again. Anything extra that I buy, I never have to worry about having room for it,
at least not as long as there's still free room on my patch bay.

tomhades
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by tomhades »

As for me i bought a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK which has the possibility for both worlds : multitrack recording & audio device in one ... so i'm more than happy with this one ! I can connect (thru patchbay) multiple hardware devices and even daisychain stompboxes in between the signal path ...

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

bidding on a patch bay now. good advice, thanks :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

take a half normalized patch bay if you can

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

Terratec DMX 6fire. Great external audio system for bedroom studio + it is not very expensive..

Code: Select all

http://www.terratec.com/details.php?artnr=10546#.WgwDcmhSyHs