Soundcards

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lag
athlete
Re: Soundcards

Post by Lag »

WOLF! wrote:I like RME. Rock solid and great driver support.
Firewire or USB? Anything to look out for?
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

teknoandy
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by teknoandy »

Running an RME Fireface UC here... i was abit nervous about using a usb soundcard after having my Audiofire Echo 2 for many years... which was firewire..

It's been no problem at all.. i've had it down to 64samples .. which has been abit choppy on my 2009 Macbook Pro, it's happiest at either 128 or 256samples which is fine for me ..

Having the 8 analogue inputs has been great, and is why i upgraded from my two input soundcard..being able to apply individual fx to seperate hardware channels is awesome... and the extra outputs have been useful as fx sends..using my old Yamaha A3000 sampler as a multi fx unit ... will be digging out the Alesis Quadraverb next... if it still works :)

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Lag wrote:
WOLF! wrote:I like RME. Rock solid and great driver support.
Firewire or USB? Anything to look out for?
PCI over here :D . But I guess RME handles all drivers with the same care so usb or firewire would be okay as well.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

I don't really need a bunch of ins and outs. I do everything in the box, just need the stereo in for mic and line - just in case. So I'm thinking - Universal Audio Apollo Twin or RME Babyface Pro?
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

I've recently bought an Audient ID22 and I'm really happy with it. It is in the same bracket as RME and Apogee in turns of quality and the 2 preamps are the same they use on their big and expensive mixing desks which are very highly regarded. I paid £320 and it feels like a bargain.

Before this I had a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I only sold this because it had loads of inputs and I kept looking at buying hardware instead of learning how to properly use the tools I already had. The Audient does sound better but the Scarlett range is totally decent. If the Audient is in your budget, check it out. If you want to spend less then the Focusrite stuff is a great option. As for drivers...both have worked great on my windows PC

remykruyer
BAD

Post by remykruyer »

I bought the Audient ID14 some months ago and it really is a good soundcard for that price!

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Hmm seems like I can't get it in Serbia, plus their focus seems to be on Mac. People on GS saying that even though they do have Win drivers, they seem to be dodgy and not too great performance-wise.

remykruyer
BAD

Post by remykruyer »

Lag wrote:Hmm seems like I can't get it in Serbia, plus their focus seems to be on Mac. People on GS saying that even though they do have Win drivers, they seem to be dodgy and not too great performance-wise.
I don't recognize anything in those complaints

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

How old are those comments on GS? I believe they had some driver issues when they were first released but this is about 2 years ago. I read a lot about the ID22 on GS and the comments were overwhelmingly positive.

Thomann in Germany are selling the ID14 for €224. That is a fantastic deal in my opinion. Thomann also ship worldwide and offer a 30 day money back guarantee so if you do not like it you will only lose out on postage cost, as long as you are careful with the packaging.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

My Saffire Pro 40 (Focusrite) has been a great bang for the buck interface. Works well on both Windows and OSX.

Fun fact about RME interfaces: The reason they're known for their stability across many platforms is because they run FPGA chips for their processors. These are basically processors with no fixed architecture that are completely re-configurable. (Think of them sort of like a modular synth panel vs a regular fixed architecture synth).

christianmdp
Unartful

Post by christianmdp »

I was given as a gift a combo with an M-Audio M Track Plus along an Oxygen 25 v4.

This audio interface is everything i need for the moment and works great with my mac. Never had an issue with it.
.. and the worms ate into his brains ..

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Got the RME Babyface Pro to replace my old M-Audio Fast Track Pro. The difference is noticeable. Thanks for the help guys!

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Just upgraded to a focusrite Clarett 4pre for an Xmas treat and it sounds beautiful, definite clear improvement over my previous interface.

Can max out the i7 4.0 CPU to 100% with 7ms latency @ 128 samples, can run it at 32 samples with 4ms latency but it starts farting at around 60% load on the CPU.

Well happy.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Just build a new pc (i7 6700k) and re-using my RME card that is allready 12 years old. That's nice support in the super fast changing computer world.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Fireface UC and MBP 2013 here, rock solid no problems at all..... I can recommend RME for sure. Ive had other interfaces and this one has been the best so far....

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

I have a used MOTU Traveler MK1 which offers fantastic value for money (I paid only 180 €). However, as Firewire is dying, I'm afraid I won't be able to use it as soon as I have to get a new computer. I'm using a 7 years old Macbook, hopefully it will last another 7 years...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

rsntr wrote:I have a used MOTU Traveler MK1 which offers fantastic value for money (I paid only 180 €). However, as Firewire is dying, I'm afraid I won't be able to use it as soon as I have to get a new computer. I'm using a 7 years old Macbook, hopefully it will last another 7 years...

my previous MBP got very heavily used and lasted 6 years.
When I finally decided I really needed to upgrade it was still working,
but eventually the screen died 1 month after I got my new one.
so honestly, from now on I count on my MBP's to work for 6 years max.

regarding FW
since my new (now 3 years old) MBP didn't have FW any more, I used the FW to thunderbolt convertor piece.
Apart from once every blue moon a small hick-up in playback, it always worked fine.
I only recently upgraded to a thunderbolt soundcard because I wanted more ins and outs and I wanted more speed,
my FW soundcard being the slow part in my setup.
I just installed it this morning (fucking pain in the ass with all the recabling at the back of my racks),
and it's giving me quite a few digital hickups.
I had no time to check what the problem was uptil now, maybe it was just a start up thing.
In any case, it was kind of depressing since I sold my old soundcard yesterday and the new one is giving me more shit at the moment.

ow well, I guess I'll have another look at it tomorrow...
I hate dealing with digital problems. Honestly... :|
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

I thought the new MBPs only have USB but apparently Thunderbolt is included? Good to know that I'll still be able to use my FW-interface then on a new computer with an adapter.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

mm, I did say mine is already 3 years old by now.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa