ANOTHER "HOW TO" QUESTION RELATED TO EARLY SURGEON RELEASES

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Pelecaras
Lifer
ANOTHER "HOW TO" QUESTION RELATED TO EARLY SURGEON RELEASES

Post by Pelecaras »

Hi

been a while since posting anything. I'm afraid that I have again for the last few months been a guest on the Mental Health Ward.

During my stay in hospital I realised that I really enjoy the sound design aspect of producing more than the actual production itself and given the fact that I am never going to be good enough to make a half decent track, I decided instead just to enjoy making sounds.

As an exercise I enjoy trying to recreate sounds from my favourite films and music, not to copy but just to learn the craft and means of making intriguing sounds....I have always loved the early releases by Surgeon as they were from the era that I was going to parties the most and a couple of his sounds baffle me.

The main riff in Badger Bite is obviously a steel drum sample with overdrive/saturation. so I don't need help with that.

But the riff that comes in at 49 seconds of the track below has me stumped. I reckon the vibrato and weird pitch effect is done using the h3000 but is the sound a sample or synthesised?

youtu.be/qkyUbp7Bg-4

Also the Bass riff from 0 secs in the track below, it sounds like a filtered organ to me but not sure.

youtu.be/NjuUub5xfw4

Anyhow, thanks for reading this long winded post and feel free to call me a cunt for posting a "how to"

stay safe and take care all

bex (pelecaras)
FUCK-WIT

subvers^v
hunger marcher
Re: ANOTHER "HOW TO" QUESTION RELATED TO EARLY SURGEON RELEASES

Post by subvers^v »

Only guessing here but first one could be either option, or possibly just a resampled synth.
The vibrato is cool though, fast and random, maybe a combo of two or more lfos on the amp?

Second one just sounds like a plain old saw to me, filtered down and reversed. Sounds like a resample too, where it's nudged off-grid to give it that edge.

Love how direct both these tracks sound.
So...not much insight from me then! 😆

Stay up ..

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

that first sound makes me think of a sequence of notes - like , i dunno, 5 notes played haphazardly , recorded and then time compressed

or perhaps the notes were played on a lower register, sampled and then pitched up a couple of octaves

definitely has that "fast forward" kind of sound

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

first track could be reverse shift on H3000
lots of plugins you can do that with.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.