It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:34 pm 
Gaylord

Hades - Link back up. Just for you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Unstraight

jordanneke wrote:
zukenbauer wrote:
New wip..

https://soundcloud.com/tzukenbauer/tm07

Not sure about it anymore, i should take a break from it for a few days. I like the arrangement, maybe few fixes here and there. Is the mix ok?

Thanks in advance

I like it. A lot

The second rhythm that comes in needs to be more separate from the kick. It sounds a bit weird now as it's very clicky. Is it just a hp kick? Maybe a mid tom would be better.

3.30 is a bit long for something new to come along, maybe introduce the full pattern a 8 bars earlier. In fact the first half builds to 2.44, then loses all its energy when the kick comes in, then it leaves again. It's a bit weird.

The break is real empty. Maybe you could look at putting in some lower frequencies of the tracks that you have (as the low end has totally gone).

It really gets going again at 5 min, but there's no time left. I reckon another minute could go on.

The mix sounds great to me.

Actually its tom but i left some klick on purpose, i like to match toms klick with kicks klick (if you are talking about that). I did move tom with track delay so maybe that bothering you but i dont know, timing seems ok to me as i listening now.

I like arrangement as it is, ill do some minor changes or maybe make a new one if i feel inspired (fucking hate arrangements).
Yeah i get your point about losing energy around 2:44, ill try to fix it.
Thanks alot for feedback, appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 pm 
Unstraight

Hades wrote:
jordanneke wrote:
zukenbauer wrote:
New wip..

Not sure about it anymore, i should take a break from it for a few days. I like the arrangement, maybe few fixes here and there. Is the mix ok?

Thanks in advance

I like it. A lot

The second rhythm that comes in needs to be more separate from the kick. It sounds a bit weird now as it's very clicky. Is it just a hp kick? Maybe a mid tom would be better.

3.30 is a bit long for something new to come along, maybe introduce the full pattern a 8 bars earlier. In fact the first half builds to 2.44, then loses all its energy when the kick comes in, then it leaves again. It's a bit weird.

The break is real empty. Maybe you could look at putting in some lower frequencies of the tracks that you have (as the low end has totally gone).

It really gets going again at 5 min, but there's no time left. I reckon another minute could go on.

The mix sounds great to me.

I agree about the 2nd rhythm, the groove would work far better if you separate them more.

I'm not quite sure about that 1st synth sound.
I know you like these type of synth sounds, but this one sounds a bit cheesy, and the riff isn't the best either.
But it does work better once you have the other synth sounds in.
However, I think the real trick is to have it all work from the start.

The shakers do sound a bit too "fake", as in : too abruptly broken off,
no real shaker would sound that silent immediately.
It's probably just some side-chain done too extreme, no ?
(but now that I hear the track a bit further (where you hear the same shaker sound with a more natural decay, I can tell it's most likely your decay and/or release settings you made too extreme)

Other than that, your percussion sounds pretty central panned. Maybe some more variation ?

But in total a good idea. Your tracks just get better and better !

How would you approach to the toms, to separate it from kick? I got some sidechain there going on but really small amount,, maybe i should be more extreme with it?

What shaker haha? You mean this open hat that thats slightly panned to the right? If youre talking about that, its my favorite part,, its best hat pattern that i made haha

Thanks for feedback man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:00 pm 
Interchangeable

zukenbauer wrote:

What shaker haha? You mean this open hat that thats slightly panned to the right? If youre talking about that, its my favorite part,, its best hat pattern that i made haha

yes, open hat part.
It still ends far too abrupt. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am 
Unstraight

Hades wrote:
zukenbauer wrote:

yes, open hat part.

Yeah i get what youre saying.. Ill smooth it out with volume automation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 am 
Interchangeable

zukenbauer wrote:
Hades wrote:
zukenbauer wrote:

yes, open hat part.

Yeah i get what youre saying.. Ill smooth it out with volume automation

Maybe you've noticed before, but I have this strange thing with drum sounds.
For me they are all many times overlapping, in a way,
and it gets even worse the more synthetic the sound sources are (and far worse if they used white noise).
Like in your track your open hat sounded more like a shaker to me, which is why I talked about a shaker
(though it is indeed obvious it is not as soon as you start to listen to it)

It happens to me all the time.
Like, I even remembered many years ago I deliberately taught myself the different "names" for all the classic drum sounds, just because it's more practical if you can all use the standard names for them,
and yet, I swear if you say "ride", I won't even spontaneously think of the most classic ride sound,
even if I heard it countless times before.

This is only the case with percussion though, not with kicks/snares/claps (and toms of course).
For my ears somehow, percussion is percussion,
the only thing my ears automatically focus on is closed hihats.
All the rest is "that other percussion". :)

(which is why I often use descriptions like "shaker-kind of sound" or use time marks when I give feedback, that way I hope to be more clear about which sound I'm exactly referring to)
(one could even argue I have a slightly similar thing with synth sounds, where for me, there's so many times an overlap between lead and bass, but I can describe synth sounds far better and obviously they simply interest me a lot more as well)

But yeah in the case of this sound : you will never hear a sound end that abruptly anywhere in real life. That shit can only happen with electronic sounds. Every natural space has some form of reverb, and any natural sound has some form of decay/release. The ending you used now sounded so dry and fake it was making me cringe in a way. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 pm 
reverse genius

dubdub wrote:
jordanneke wrote:
Ok, I had some time free today, and decided to quickly this track. Very quickly.

Any comments?

Kick feels a bit clicky for my taste, chords/pads feel a bit thin, could use some thickening up.

Made this sorta half-done loop today, dunno if it's worth finishing.

really groovy again
but im not so keen on the vocals, other people didnt mention them so its just a personal thing
pads is way too low in volume in the beginning
kick is a little bit clicky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm 
reverse genius

Squill wrote:
Trying to catch up on this side of the forum, tough to keep up with. Anyway, have this track I’m working on, not sure if another element is needed in the midrange as the track progresses, or if a melody would be necessary for the track. Still working on the break and climax, thoughts so far?
https://soundcloud.com/mikesquillo/wip234/s-4Z1db

you have the basic of a very good track and you got all the right techniques
but its missing a hook or a main lead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:34 pm 
reverse genius

over9000 wrote:
bioniceye wrote:
any thoughts / feedback on this one?

https://soundcloud.com/hanosams/monorail/s-GNqnF

hmm the idea is nice, although its not really my style..
i think it can work with a bit more cleaning up, also gets a bit too busy when more elements come in
just had a quick listen, but i think theres some clashing going on in the higher mid region.
anyway nice lush sounds

jordanneke wrote:
bioniceye wrote:
any thoughts / feedback on this one?

https://soundcloud.com/hanosams/monorail/s-GNqnF

The production value of your tracks has increased a lot. Technically it sounds pretty good.

I have 2 issues. The chord progression is 'ok' but certainly not great enough to listen to for the whole track, which brings me to the second issue - It's there for the whole track! By 3 mins I'm bored of it. After listening to the whole track 3 times, I'm sick of it. I think we've mentioned this before. In order to make your tracks more interesting you need more contrast. Filter! Do something, so the listener doesn't get fatigued.

Having ribs at a bbq is great, but if you only have ribs, the meal is pretty shitty.

I think you need to work on your arrangements still.

thanks for all the feedback
seems like the 808 kit needs a lot of processing to sound big in the mix
i allready boosted the highs, added a saturator and a exciter on the percussion
there is barely eq on it just a small cut to make room for the kick and the bass
whats wrong the arrangement is it just the pad or other parts
i wanted a track without a big break this time

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:10 pm 
Interchangeable

jordanneke wrote:

you & me and a case of Rochefort 10...
ow the bromance we'd have going on in no time...

yeah, pad is definitely completely drowning.

Also, around 1:48 (or maybe even earlier) :
I think you're using Live as your master for the tempo, correct ?
Because I could be mistaken but I hear something I heard over here as well and which seems to be a known problem :
Live is total shit for acting as a master clock.
Like, I had moments where I would go out of the studio and pee (bathroom right next to the studio),
and I would hear my BPM just go slower and finally back up again,
and though like "WTF ??"
It might be almost nothing, but I have the impression it's slowing down around that moment.

The pad does come out a little better further in the track, but it's still far from ideal.
When you open the filter a bit more up from around 3:45, the pad does kind of sound a little fake,
as if it gets quite obvious you're using some samples or something.

If I'm wrong about that tiny tempo change or your way of syncing,
the case of Rochefort is on me while you gotta take care of all the bromancing, thou wonderful black stallion ! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:56 pm 
Gaylord

Hades wrote:
jordanneke wrote:

you & me and a case of Rochefort 10...
ow the bromance we'd have going on in no time...

yeah, pad is definitely completely drowning.

Also, around 1:48 (or maybe even earlier) :
I think you're using Live as your master for the tempo, correct ?
Because I could be mistaken but I hear something I heard over here as well and which seems to be a known problem :
Live is total shit for acting as a master clock.
Like, I had moments where I would go out of the studio and pee (bathroom right next to the studio),
and I would hear my BPM just go slower and finally back up again,
and though like "WTF ??"
It might be almost nothing, but I have the impression it's slowing down around that moment.

The pad does come out a little better further in the track, but it's still far from ideal.
When you open the filter a bit more up from around 3:45, the pad does kind of sound a little fake,
as if it gets quite obvious you're using some samples or something.

If I'm wrong about that tiny tempo change or your way of syncing,
the case of Rochefort is on me while you gotta take care of all the bromancing, thou wonderful black stallion ! ;)

I recorded that pad sound live, so that's what you hear. The lfo isn't in sync. I'll try and fix that.

I hear you about the chords, but it's strange you say they sound fake when they open up. They for sure are not samples. I actually laid down the notes myself, as hard as that is to believe!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:24 pm 
Interchangeable

jordanneke wrote:
I hear you about the chords, but it's strange you say they sound fake when they open up. They for sure are not samples. I actually laid down the notes myself, as hard as that is to believe!

nah man, who knows, maybe you just happened to see some useful tutorials or something...

but yeah, it sounds"awkward" somehow.

but are you using Live as your master clock to sync your external HW or not ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:55 pm 
Unstraight

Hades wrote:

Whats the thing with clocks? I am using live as a master and i find my way around to avoid latency and shit which i hate sometimes,..
I did have some weird moments with tempo but it was so small that i thought im over thinking.
Would you mind telling your way of doing it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:30 pm 
Interchangeable

zukenbauer wrote:
Hades wrote:

Whats the thing with clocks? I am using live as a master and i find my way around to avoid latency and shit which i hate sometimes,..
I did have some weird moments with tempo but it was so small that i thought im over thinking.
Would you mind telling your way of doing it?

I am NOT talking about latency here.
I'm talking about Live sending out a clock signal, being the "master" in whatever setup you might have.

Now, I haven't done it myself for at least 1 year or so,
and I didn't even know this was a known issue till someone else told me here years ago :
for some reason Live sucks as a master clock,
and I literally experienced this when I was using my Jomox and was (at first) using Live as the master clock,
I would hear the whole thing suddenly slow down 1, 2 or even 3 to 4 bpm and go back up again.
I thought my ears were deceiving me when I first heard it,
till someone told me it was a known problem with Live they still hadn't fixed yet.

Now, do take into account that this is info I heard maybe 2 years ago at least,
so it could very well be Live 9 or any type of update already dealt with that issue,
but believe me when I say it was very obvious when I heard it at the time.

If you never had any trouble yourself, then great,
but when I do use my Jomox from time to time, I still let the Jomox be the master clock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:17 pm 
Unstraight

Yeah i experienced that myself few times.. Nothing that you cant work with but still irritating some times.. I guess its time to try using something else as a master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm 
broke

zukenbauer wrote:
Hades wrote:
jordanneke wrote:
New wip..

Thanks in advance

I agree about the 2nd rhythm, the groove would work far better if you separate them more.

I'm not quite sure about that 1st synth sound.
I know you like these type of synth sounds, but this one sounds a bit cheesy, and the riff isn't the best either.
But it does work better once you have the other synth sounds in.
However, I think the real trick is to have it all work from the start.

The shakers do sound a bit too "fake", as in : too abruptly broken off,
no real shaker would sound that silent immediately.
It's probably just some side-chain done too extreme, no ?
(but now that I hear the track a bit further (where you hear the same shaker sound with a more natural decay, I can tell it's most likely your decay and/or release settings you made too extreme)

Other than that, your percussion sounds pretty central panned. Maybe some more variation ?

But in total a good idea. Your tracks just get better and better !

How would you approach to the toms, to separate it from kick? I got some sidechain there going on but really small amount,, maybe i should be more extreme with it?

Thanks for feedback man

Alright, I really like the 70's John Carpenter synths doing the five notes every here and there. very cool. Having said that, the white noise rise feels like it should end exactly when the bar containing the drums kicks in, or if there was a bar silence as the white noise decayed before the next bars of sound kicked in. I imagine it would feel much tighter if that happened rather than just having the white noise decaying into the next bars. I do like the fat kick tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 am 
Unstraight

Dussle wrote:

Alright, I really like the 70's John Carpenter synths doing the five notes every here and there. very cool. Having said that, the white noise rise feels like it should end exactly when the bar containing the drums kicks in, or if there was a bar silence as the white noise decayed before the next bars of sound kicked in. I imagine it would feel much tighter if that happened rather than just having the white noise decaying into the next bars. I do like the fat kick tho.

Thanks mate,, ill play with your white noise idea for a while and see what can i do.
Glad you like it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm 
slipper

Hi everyone. i tend to go in this direction alot. not sure if worth continuing with. some opinion/feedback would be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm 
pregnant

Happy new year everyone :) Thank you all for your replies the last time. I tried to go back and make an better arrangement (and improve the drums a bit).

I'm quite happy with whatever this is but I would still love some other ears on it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hi everyone, so this is the clip of what I'm currently working on. I really like this acid bassline and I want it to remain the focus of this track. However I'm really strugling to come up with further elements to develop it. Tried some arpeggiated acid on top but it brightens the whole thing too much and the track looses focus. What do you guys think? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next