It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm 
Chernobyl

mainst09 wrote:
suppressor wrote:
Oh hai... Its been a long time since i have posted on this wonderful cesspool of a forum but alas i'm back.
Work has been a fucking killer... zz

I have been working on some new stuff. I'm not sure what direction i really wanted to go but i think i am nearly there with this one.

https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/rose/s-fEZN1

This is nice, good melodies and bass. But it feels like the bass could have a little cut on the low end and like jordan said, those drums sound like you add them on final mins! I like how you in different parts of the tracks keep bringing the different synths you used

Oh thanks dude. I ended up dropping the bass a fair bit as it started overwhelming a bunch of systems i listened on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm 
Interchangeable

suppressor wrote:
Do you mean the Amen breaks that i cut up?

well, that's gotta be new ! :D
;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:34 pm 
Chernobyl

Hades wrote:
suppressor wrote:
Do you mean the Amen breaks that i cut up?

well, that's gotta be new ! :D
;)

Well Shit! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm 
Interchangeable

At least it's not a distorted kick or reverb rumble !!

(however, haven't listened to it yet, just got upstairs in the studio, so who knows what I'll hear...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:06 pm 
Interchangeable

suppressor wrote:
Oh hai... Its been a long time since i have posted on this wonderful cesspool of a forum but alas i'm back.
Work has been a fucking killer... zz

I have been working on some new stuff. I'm not sure what direction i really wanted to go but i think i am nearly there with this one.

https://soundcloud.com/suppressormusic/rose/s-fEZN1

well, I definitely like the idea. Really like it.
Despite the fact that it contains all different elements from different styles, you do make it work.
At least for the most part...

Your mix sounds quite a bit muffled at the moment.
I don't remember if you told us earlier that this is a thing you're working on, or a known issue,
but it's pretty much the first thing I noticed.

I think you're overdoing it with the reverb. On quite a few elements.
Like the leadish pad at around 4:00 : I think it would work better with less reverb,
and even the percussion in that break has too much reverb. The snare, that shakerish sound afterwards, the woodblocks,
and even when the hats come back in at 5:00, you've been hearing so much reverb by then that you are begging for the hats to be ultra-dry and with tons of sting.
The hats are fine, but exactly because of the context they could be far more dry.

The arp bass sound that you can hear pretty obviously at around 2:52 (you bring it in a bit earlier I think) :
I would try and give it more definition. You can always make it a little brighter and make the filter envelope more defined,
and then still put it through another filter afterwards to tame it down again, but now it sounds too muffled to my opinion.

Not sure I like the intro :sounds so spacey and I don't see it really working with the rest of the track.
I also think that the heavy bass pad thing you bring in from the start is a bit too loud now in this mix.
It's sort of distorting the whole low end. (and I hear the same with headphones)

That sound you bring in from around 1:10, let's call it the Sandwell District sound...
It's a great sound of course, but wouldn't you prefer to use a less obvious sound ?

I love what you do with your bass from 1:45, really like it, but you can barely hear some of the notes, while this sound deserves to take over the track as far as I care.
And then combined with that trancy lead sound, fucking love it !!
I honestly think it could work using the amen break sounds, but I think you need to cut some of the reverb on the drum fills you use.

I think after the break at 4:15, you kind of let go of the biggest energy of the track,
which is a bit of a shame. (not so great snare roll, shitty noise burst)

That part at around 2:30, completely lovely !!! (and then you kill it with a badly executed noise burst, such a shame)

Really, really lovely track.
Apart from the specific details I randomly described above,
I would say that at this moment, I think it could still do with some form of lead melody on top,
or you could go for taking the pad stuff and make it full blown in the track, so the pad has a lead role in this track.
But right now, it's begging for some sort of lead part.

excellent work man !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 pm 
Interchangeable

jordanneke wrote:
Quick question from me.

How is the kick with this? Is it too sloppy?

And how well does the bass sit?

(The chords suck, I know!)

man what a fucking sloppy kick !! :lol:
nah seriously, I don't know, I don't think it's really that sloppy, but I'm not such a big fan either.

The chords are indeed a bit cringe worthy. That's true.

But mainly, I think you're just using too many bass notes.
I remember you described how you make your bass lines, so maybe I'm focusing on that too much now,
but it's like you drew in too many notes and didn't take out enough in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:40 pm 
pregnant

quote="mainst09"]
i dig this, i like the idea simple but effective. i would only lower the volume of the claps & shakers. Maybe you could use a bit of reverb on your synths too, other than that is good![/quote]

jordanneke wrote:
I like the idea lots. But it needs some work.

The stabs sound a bit thin and cheap, same with the 'melody'. They just lack bite and depth. Did you sample them? I reckon you need to add another an octave down to thicken them up, or overdrive them more, add some grit. Also they are really static. There's no movement in them at all. They don't change throughout the song. Perhaps some reverb like pedro suggested would liven them up a bit. They do need work. More gradual filter too. Maybe some lfo on an auto filter. Is there any delay on them? A simple trick is to have delay running into a reverb.

In fact, there's room in there for a lush pad, which suggests that the mids need thickening up too.

The vocal, despite me liking HOVE, the only part of the sample that actually works is the last bit. The rest doesn't fit with the cadence of the track.

Great idea, just need to work on the execution.

The

Hades wrote:
Such fine fine shakers man, love 'em !!!
(now why do you always make your SC page shine so bright as if I would need to put on sunglasses to even throw a glance at it ??)

This tracks is funky as hell man, really love it !
However, I think your claps really REALLY need to be tuned higher, honestly, it's a must !
And your keys (that cheesy piano-ish sound) just need to get swapped for a better sound.
It's like you start making love to some beautiful gorgeous girl,
and you start undressing her...
and she turns out to have the most saggy tits ever.
Change the keys, man. :) ;)

Love the percussion in the last part. Lots of groove.

suppressor wrote:

Did you forget to connect a VST to that midi note halfway through?

thanks for listening and all the tips. i wasnt that sure about the chords aswell. Had some lovely house piano / chords in my head but they turned out not so good.
The problem was i played them in with the filter almost open and when i started the automation the sound really didnt fit the rest with the tune with the filter down so i automated only the decay and release and some small filter movement. They are synth based and there was a reverb and a delay on them,
Jordanneke: Are you itb or do you have a hardware synth?
Thanks hades for your feedback great to hear the tune got groove and feels funky
i will adopt the shaker sound as a signature sound like jeff mills got his 909 and rick wade his string :)
Feels i need to focus on my synths a little bit more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 pm 
BAD

So heres a track ive been working on. Theres not much else i can hear what to do with it, so i would love to get some others perspective on it. Got to the point where i cant hear a clear perspective on the track and keep questioning whether its good or not... same old loop hole we probably all get caught up in..

Im working on an EP atm and this is track is meant to be one of the more straight forward, hypnotising tool tracks. (havent fully decided if its gonna make the final cut yet..)

Its not mastered, the link below is just the mixdown but with a limiter on it to bring up some level.

Equipment used:
Yamaha AN1x
Doepfer Dark time sequencer
Moog sub 37
Eventide h9 fx pedal
Tascam m06 mixer
Some drums came from the tr-9 but mainly sample based.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/renewise/clave-demo/s-pyD7H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 am 
decent

Yeah, nice track.
Only suggestion I can make is that the main bell type synth seems a bit inoffensive or something.
I get that it adds to that feeling of tension but it would be good if it was a bit more aggressive, just a bit more present (closer to how it sounds around 5:30 mark, before it fades out).
Cool track ..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 am 
BAD

intrusav wrote:
Yeah, nice track.
Only suggestion I can make is that the main bell type synth seems a bit inoffensive or something.
I get that it adds to that feeling of tension but it would be good if it was a bit more aggressive, just a bit more present (closer to how it sounds around 5:30 mark, before it fades out).
Cool track ..

Yeah i get you. Will have a play around.. Only problem is im working with audio as its a live take so ill have to get clever with some distortion and saturation to try make it pop a bit i guess.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:55 pm 
Alf Garnett

I would really like some fresh ears on this - it has been one of the most fun tracks I've made in a while (tried to go for some Paula Temple/Søs Gunver Ryberg sound or something... it ended up a bit trancey)

At least right now I have a really hard time being critical of it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 pm 
Alf Garnett

RWise wrote:
So heres a track ive been working on. Theres not much else i can hear what to do with it, so i would love to get some others perspective on it. Got to the point where i cant hear a clear perspective on the track and keep questioning whether its good or not... same old loop hole we probably all get caught up in..

Im working on an EP atm and this is track is meant to be one of the more straight forward, hypnotising tool tracks. (havent fully decided if its gonna make the final cut yet..)

Its not mastered, the link below is just the mixdown but with a limiter on it to bring up some level.

Equipment used:
Yamaha AN1x
Moog sub 37
Eventide h9 fx pedal
Tascam m06 mixer

Well if it's supposed to be a tool I find it great :) (what's that background hiss? noise?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 am 
BAD

Amøbe wrote:
RWise wrote:

Well if it's supposed to be a tool I find it great :) (what's that background hiss? noise?)

Cheers man. The background noise is just sine wave pad from the yamaha an1x but tweaked around a bit. Theres definitely a noise oscillator happening in the preset and some modulation going on.

I played a high note on the keyboard and eq'd out the sine wave note from the recording, which left me with a nice noisey atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 pm 
Interchangeable

RWise wrote:

Equipment used:
Yamaha AN1x
Moog sub 37
Eventide h9 fx pedal
Tascam m06 mixer

wanted to listen, but link is already dead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 pm 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:
I would really like some fresh ears on this - it has been one of the most fun tracks I've made in a while (tried to go for some Paula Temple/Søs Gunver Ryberg sound or something... it ended up a bit trancey)

I like your pecussion at the start, but I think it could do with more pannning.

other than that, first thing that comes to mind is that I find the melody cheesy.
It just gets on my nerves very soon.
But this is of course personal taste.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:58 pm 
Gnasher

Edgy, warm, rolling was my goal. Been working for a longer time on this one now. This may be the first track that i'd call finished after treating my room. I'm curious what you think of this:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/fm-mix ... ks/s-6gdoF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm 
Gnasher

Amøbe wrote:

i like the buildup. although that trance lead at 3:30. it sounds way too clean compared to the rest of the track..
the pattern is questionable also. I like it in a strange way, but it also gets annoying really quick.
lowend seems a bit too low in volume. the background noise seems to loud.
percussion is spot on. good work all in all, but i think it still needs some hours.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 pm 
Gnasher

Root wrote:
Edgy, warm, rolling was my goal. Been working for a longer time on this one now. This may be the first track that i'd call finished after treating my room. I'm curious what you think of this:

https://soundcloud.com/rootpromo/fm-mix ... ks/s-6gdoF

that definitely sounds good! like the warmth and the sound design. the mix sounds good too. really like the flow & arrangement. how did you get everything so flowing into each other?
what i dont like is the detune automation on the lead, its too much imo. i like it when it comes a bit, but not as heavy as you got it in now. also some of the percussive sounds sound isolated, especially in the first part. maybe you could use more reverb on them in the intro, later its fine.
good track!

Last edited by over9000 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 am 
Gnasher

heres something ive been working on:

https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/counter-mix2/s-sicem

very simple & short, but iam experimenting with arrangement techniques, mixing, not too much elements etc.
just tried to make something simple that works.
tell me what you think about the mix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am 
Alf Garnett

Hades wrote:
Amøbe wrote:

I like your pecussion at the start, but I think it could do with more pannning.

other than that, first thing that comes to mind is that I find the melody cheesy.
It just gets on my nerves very soon.
But this is of course personal taste.

thank you for the feedback :) I wanted to make a completely rhythmic track (I had just found out how to control microtonic with the push and wanted to see how far I could get without looking too much at the computer) and then i ended up throwing that melody in there - I'm well aware of its cheese factor, though :D (a friend of mine said it stresses him!)

how far do you guys go with panning? I always only do it in quite small doses, but maybe it's cool to dive far into it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177  Next