It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 am 
Dont Panic!!

gtsm wrote:
Hi everyone, so this is the clip of what I'm currently working on. I really like this acid bassline and I want it to remain the focus of this track. However I'm really strugling to come up with further elements to develop it. Tried some arpeggiated acid on top but it brightens the whole thing too much and the track looses focus. What do you guys think? :)

You're in for a hell of a ride if you haven't provided any feedback for others before asking people to give you feedback :shock: ;) So brace yourself :twisted:

I'm gonna go ahead and try to give you some feedback anyway though, I like the overall feel of it has a real nice atmosphere with that pad.

Kick could have a bit more bite to it, maybe try add some nice saturation/distortion to it.

Acid line could do with a little more screaming resonance and slides/glide imo.

The pad at 1:07 is too loud in the mix.

Overall good work though.

"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 am 
slipper

Amøbe wrote:
Happy new year everyone :) Thank you all for your replies the last time. I tried to go back and make an better arrangement (and improve the drums a bit).

I'm quite happy with whatever this is but I would still love some other ears on it!

This is quite good. Just don't like the clap at 3:40. maybe sink it back every now and again with a reverb so it drifts back into space. Volume of it may be a touch high. Other than this, it's a nice one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 am 
Interact. Don't Spam.

arkos wrote:
gtsm wrote:
Hi everyone, so this is the clip of what I'm currently working on. I really like this acid bassline and I want it to remain the focus of this track. However I'm really strugling to come up with further elements to develop it. Tried some arpeggiated acid on top but it brightens the whole thing too much and the track looses focus. What do you guys think? :)

You're in for a hell of a ride if you haven't provided any feedback for others before asking people to give you feedback :shock: ;) So brace yourself :twisted:

I'm gonna go ahead and try to give you some feedback anyway though, I like the overall feel of it has a real nice atmosphere with that pad.

Kick could have a bit more bite to it, maybe try add some nice saturation/distortion to it.

Yes, I know, give something before you ask for something. Anyway, thanks for the feedback man. As for myself, I'm not sure I have the confidence to critique someone yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:24 am 
Interchangeable

gtsm wrote:
Yes, I know, give something before you ask for something. Anyway, thanks for the feedback man. As for myself, I'm not sure I have the confidence to critique someone yet.

that's the excuse people use once in a while,
but that's bullshit.
Honestly, if you listen to some release that you like, or just music you don't like,
you are able to say what you like or don't like about it, no ?

Just yesterday evening we were listening to a great track from Bleak,
I absolutely loved it, but I still felt it was missing something, that final element to make it perfect, but it simply never came.
Now this is from a producer that I love, and a very general kind of observation,
but I think anyone is capable of saying something.

And try not to call it "critique", or see it as that.
It's feedback. Some times that means it points out the weaker things in your track, but it can also tell you what you did right.
It's one of the best ways to learn and improve. ;)

What I find irritating a bit more than just asking and not giving is that you joined in 2015 and only made 7 posts at the time you were asking for your feedback. That's a pretty good sign you're not exactly interacting very much.
But anyway, you play piano, so personally, I'll forgive you for everything (no idea about the others). :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:26 am 
Interchangeable

Also, listening and trying to give constructive and honest feedback trains your ears. It will make you pay more attention to the details,
the mix, the arrangement,...
In the end you just learn from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 am 
Interchangeable

arkos wrote:

First thing I'd say is that the mix is too swampy, and I think the main reason for that is that you're using too much reverb.
You can even tell from the start when sound fades in and you already hear the reverb before you properly hear the original sounds.
Try EQ'ing your reverb, and taming it down.
The 303 is a sound that normally cuts through almost anything, and yet it is sounding swampy at the moment.
Using too much reverb is a classic mistake many make.

I agree with Oskar that the pad note at 1:07 is a little too loud.

Kick could also do with more definition, and obviously the track needs more percussion and more sting in the hats you have in there now.

Definitely nice stuff though. Reminded me a bit of Tin Man.
If you don't know what to do with it at the moment, leave it alone and work on other stuff,
then get back to it a few weeks later.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 am 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:
Happy new year everyone :) Thank you all for your replies the last time. I tried to go back and make an better arrangement (and improve the drums a bit).

I'm quite happy with whatever this is but I would still love some other ears on it!

nice stuff, better than the previous version.
Still kind of have the feeling I'm missing some sort of last element,
but I would leave the track alone for a while now and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:10 am 
Interchangeable

buffered wrote:
Hi everyone. i tend to go in this direction alot. not sure if worth continuing with. some opinion/feedback would be very appreciated.

from the moment this started : way too boomy, too much reverb on the low end (and on everything in general).
Great synth sounds, absolutely great, but a lot of their grit (and the groove they are creating) gets drowned in the reverb.
This would sound way better with a lot less reverb.

Normally I would say the transients of most sounds aren't really coming through properly,
but it's not that, cause even if you'd use a transient designer, it wouldn't make any difference because it's the reverb making it all drown far more.
Even stuff like the atmospheric textures at the back... you can barely hear them because of the reverb.

Prophän just walked in and said "wow man, great track, who is this ?"
"a subsekt cunt !"
We both agree the track might sound even better with the bpm turned up a little bit.
And yeah, he says to cut back on the reverb as well.

I really love the rhythmic synth sound you can hear clearly for instance at 6:28.

This is no doubt one of the best tracks I heard here in the last few months,
but cut down on the reverb.
Great job ! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 am 
Interchangeable

For those who haven't noticed, there's a new track in my sig,
it's not exactly new since I finished it a few months ago, but always felt I might go back to it some day.
I decided to let it go at the moment, so yeah...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hades wrote:
gtsm wrote:

that's the excuse people use once in a while,
but that's bullshit.
Honestly, if you listen to some release that you like, or just music you don't like,
you are able to say what you like or don't like about it, no ?

Just yesterday evening we were listening to a great track from Bleak,
I absolutely loved it, but I still felt it was missing something, that final element to make it perfect, but it simply never came.
Now this is from a producer that I love, and a very general kind of observation,
but I think anyone is capable of saying something.

And try not to call it "critique", or see it as that.
It's feedback. Some times that means it points out the weaker things in your track, but it can also tell you what you did right.
It's one of the best ways to learn and improve. ;)

What I find irritating a bit more than just asking and not giving is that you joined in 2015 and only made 7 posts at the time you were asking for your feedback. That's a pretty good sign you're not exactly interacting very much.
But anyway, you play piano, so personally, I'll forgive you for everything (no idea about the others). :)

Fair enough. I'm sorry to have come off as entitled, I didn't mean that. Just thought I'd share something but I see your point. Yes, all these years I've been lurking on the forum but I will try to interact more from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hades wrote:
Definitely nice stuff though. Reminded me a bit of Tin Man.
If you don't know what to do with it at the moment, leave it alone and work on other stuff,
then get back to it a few weeks later.

Wow man, mentioning Tin Man is a huge compliment for me here, because this is exactly the direction I was trying to go to. After watching him perform on his SH-101 I tried to emulate that and it seems that it wasn't a complete failure :lol: I just love Tin Man and his acid melodies. Thank you for the feedback :!:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 am 
Pig

buffered wrote:
Hi everyone. i tend to go in this direction alot. not sure if worth continuing with. some opinion/feedback would be very appreciated.

I really like this track, from the beginning it sucked me in. I agree with the other guys, probably one of the best tracks that have been posted on here in ages.
The reverb is a little too much for me as well, maybe just dial back the size of the verb to give the rest of the elements in this track a little space? Your sounds design and synths are exactly what i look for in techno. Just got to 4.32 and the overload of reverb is super obvious, definitely dial it back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 am 
slipper

Many thanks Hades and Suppressor for the feedback and kind words.
Will go back and properly mix. At the moment the reverbs are raw without eq or sc comp. Just posted wip to get opinion on direction as i make things really fast to avoid overthinking. Then i'll go back in a few days to tackle the technical aspects and complete.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:19 am 
slipper

Hades wrote:
it's not exactly new since I finished it a few months ago, but always felt I might go back to it some day.

Your work is really clean. Listened to a few tracks on your sc and it is really well put together.
For the track in your sig, I think you could add a shaker which begins halfway through each verse and carries to the break downs.
You have enough cohesive elements there but i feel like you just need that scratchy shaker to pick it up and carry it away.
I like the subtle field recording just sitting in the back. fills it out nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hades wrote:

I like the general atmosphere and especially melodic elements (guitar?). Also the groove is nice. I think the track would really benefit of more percussion somewhere along the way. However, maybe it's my ears but the high notes of the vocal like at 3:06 seem to be clashing with the rest of harmonics. Again, maybe it's just me, but it gives me a weird feeling even after multiple listens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm 
Interchangeable

buffered wrote:
Your work is really clean. Listened to a few tracks on your sc and it is really well put together.
For the track in your sig, I think you could add a shaker which begins halfway through each verse and carries to the break downs.
You have enough cohesive elements there but i feel like you just need that scratchy shaker to pick it up and carry it away.
I like the subtle field recording just sitting in the back. fills it out nicely.

thx for the feedback.

Not sure if "clean" is the word I would use myself for my music, but I guess I do like to work on mixes enough till they sound transparent in a way. And I'm not a distortion junkie either. :)
I agree it could do with some extra percussion, that was the main reason I refused to call it finished.
Only recently decided to let it go at the moment after having some other people telling me I should put it up.
You can never really tell what others will think about your tracks now, can you ?

The field recording is actually just part of the film I took the female vocals from. I used a small part of it on an old track before, but when I used more of it on this track, I couldn't get the background noise out of it without taking away too much from the vocals, so I decided to cut parts of just the background to fill up the places where there was no vocals going on.
Jordan once gave me that tip when I posted a clip here ages ago of a track I still need to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 pm 
Interchangeable

gtsm wrote:
I like the general atmosphere and especially melodic elements (guitar?). Also the groove is nice. I think the track would really benefit of more percussion somewhere along the way. However, maybe it's my ears but the high notes of the vocal like at 3:06 seem to be clashing with the rest of harmonics. Again, maybe it's just me, but it gives me a weird feeling even after multiple listens

thx for listening !
there is indeed an electric guitar, though it comes from Omnisphere, it's not a real one.
I split the melody up between the piano and the guitar.

I listened back to the part at 3:06,
and I do think the vocals fit the music fine, but I guess that's just a matter of personal opinion.
The piano sound is more of and "old out of tune" type of sound, so maybe it's that somewhere ?
(also, I presume you mean "the rest of the harmony" and not "harmonics", because the harmonics are the part of the sound that create the sound color, while the fundamental is the part that decides the pitch)
Funnily enough, someone gave me a similar comment a while back, but on another part of the vocals. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 pm 
Gaylord

Hades wrote:
Amøbe wrote:

nice stuff, better than the previous version.
Still kind of have the feeling I'm missing some sort of last element,
but I would leave the track alone for a while now and move on.

I like it, but there is a gaping space in the track. I think that's why Hades feels there is something missing.

If you can find/ enginneer a pad to fit, then it would be great

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm 
Interact. Don't Spam.

Hades wrote:
gtsm wrote:

thx for listening !
there is indeed an electric guitar, though it comes from Omnisphere, it's not a real one.
I split the melody up between the piano and the guitar.

I listened back to the part at 3:06,
and I do think the vocals fit the music fine, but I guess that's just a matter of personal opinion.
The piano sound is more of and "old out of tune" type of sound, so maybe it's that somewhere ?
(also, I presume you mean "the rest of the harmony" and not "harmonics", because the harmonics are the part of the sound that create the sound color, while the fundamental is the part that decides the pitch)
Funnily enough, someone gave me a similar comment a while back, but on another part of the vocals. :)

Yes, I meant harmony :lol: Since English is not my native language obviously, some subtleties of words escape me. Omnipshere is a beast, sometimes I feel like cheating for using it, especially when the presets are so damn good off the shelf and the interface is so difficult to patch something on my own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am 
Interchangeable

gtsm wrote:
Yes, I meant harmony :lol: Since English is not my native language obviously, some subtleties of words escape me. Omnipshere is a beast, sometimes I feel like cheating for using it, especially when the presets are so damn good off the shelf and the interface is so difficult to patch something on my own.

I think Omni's interface is actually pretty fucking awesome.
The way it offers you all the typical controls on the front panel, and you can choose to dive in deeper by going to the extra pages or not.
I mean, they offer you these really flexible envelopes, and then they give you an ADSR on their 1st page to control it quickly if you like that. Gotta love that.

I honestly don't feel guilty at all if I use an Omni preset, just because I know how to program most synths. Would never say the same for FM8 though. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next