Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Vibrating sub bass?

Post by Planar »

breaktwister wrote:
Planar wrote:
You can't have been looking that hard. There is a thread full of video tutorials at the top of this forum. The reverb bass technique is definitely in there. Read this forum, get involved and you'll learn over time.
I maybe should have made myself clearer but I meant that I couldn't find many techno tutorials that actually give useable results, something that might be heard in current productions played by current DJs. I have seen many if not all of the video's in the other thread and quite frankly thought that the 'reverb bass technique' video (if its the one where the guy uses the logic reverb) was useless, it sounded like crap and not at all like the low end on any techno records I hear being played by the big boys.

For many other popular genres there are loads of good tutorial projects that can be found online where you have access to the individual tracks and can learn how the overall result was achieved, even multitrack or remix stems are useful for this type of learning; but I cannot find much for good quality techno.
There is a video of the reverb/bass technique in Ableton, I seem to recall it being fairly decent as in it shows you the basic idea. A lot of these videos are general techniques, not recipes to be followed step by step. A lot of the ethos of techno is sound design and forging your own path through it, frankly I'm glad it's not over-saturated with cookie cutter tutorials. Saying that, this style of techno you like seems to be the stuff covered by Spektre in the Sonic Academy videos and have you checked out the bass mega-thread from here a while back?

As an addendum. The reason the tracks you like sound the way they do is a combination of many things, the bass "patch" used is only a single element of it. Sound placement, groove, mix down quality etc etc is all part of it, there isn't a video tutorial shortcut to achieve it.

breaktwister
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by breaktwister »

Planar wrote: .....stuff covered by Spektre in the Sonic Academy videos and have you checked out the bass mega-thread from here a while back?
Thanks man, I will check these out.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

breaktwister wrote:youtu.be/Pt27iV4RLkM
This is just the kick-reverb thing. Bouffmyhre can't make decent basslines so he sticks with the kick-reverb technique in every fuckin' track. The second track has a pitch envelope on the bass. Nothing special here as well.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yep just as Mono says it's standard reverb oompa oompa there.

On the other track its just a warm distorted bass-drum with a copy of the same bass-drum (in the same effect chain) playing a lower velocity before the start of the second and fourth kick trigger.

edit: May be time to update the bass technique thread from long ago.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Mattias wrote:Yep just as Mono says it's standard reverb oompa oompa there.

On the other track its just a warm distorted bass-drum with a copy of the same bass-drum (in the same effect chain) playing a lower velocity before the start of the second and fourth kick trigger.

edit: May be time to update the bass technique thread from long ago.
Id love to revive that thread, I feel really weak with my sub bass and end up just doing some sin wave modulation but I can never seem to get that grumbley/rumble feel along with my kicks.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

loopdon
beast

Post by loopdon »

The free ambience reverb vst has presets for this called Speedy J kick or something
if you want it really easy.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

loopdon wrote:The free ambience reverb vst has presets for this called Speedy J kick or something
if you want it really easy.
You mean the free one on ableton?
(Not at home so cant check)
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

What gets the sound to that preset & others in Ambiance is down to the gate feature it has.

You can do the same thing with the ableton reverb (or any):

Open a send / return channel. Add the Reverb. 100% Wet.

(Or group the effect as an insert on the Kick channel, making the effect chain 100% wet & creating a 2nd chain that will have no fx on it for the Dry signal can be handy for adding processing afterwards to the dry & wet signals).

Adjust the predelay on the reverb to get the rhythmic vibe in MS that you want.. anywhere from dead on, to slapback delay to offbeat.

Add a gate after the reverb to make the tail stop dead. Adjust the Threshold / A / H / R - to get rid of clicks and get the right length. Can be good to add a compressor & EQ before the reverb. If you are going to use the EQ's in the ableton reverb, I usually just adjust the high & low in the 'diffusion network' pane. Seems to be a bit more specific than the 'input processing' pane. IMO.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Good stuff, you could also try

- put a delay and a reverb on a send channel. Set the delay to delay the signal in a rhythmic way, use the reverb to create the rumble.
- add utility to pull up the volume of the reverb as well as push the signal to mono.
- add compression after the reverb so you can shape how the reverberated sound is amplified.
- EQ after all of that to control what's happening.

You can also try using saturation or some chorus to add some higher end harmonics to the sub signal (again I find on a send or a parallel chain works best so you gain the most control).

There's a million things to try this, but that's really the sticky wicket here, you gotta just go out there and try. Tutorials can help you along but only a deeper understanding of what's going on in the signal chain as well as practice, practice, practice will get you what you want to hear.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

oddmyth wrote:Tutorials can help you along but only a deeper understanding of what's going on in the signal chain as well as practice, practice, practice will get you what you want to hear.
Wise words !!!
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

ICN wrote:What gets the sound to that preset & others in Ambiance is down to the gate feature it has. <snip>
oddmyth wrote:Good stuff, you could also try<snip>

Both excellent posts. The thing about this technique is that there's loads of ways of doing it. I use convolution reverb, resample, process and then arrange into the tracks groove.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

oddmyth wrote:Tutorials can help you along but only a deeper understanding of what's going on in the signal chain as well as practice, practice, practice will get you what you want to hear.
Yeah this is where it's at 100%
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Planar wrote:
ICN wrote:What gets the sound to that preset & others in Ambiance is down to the gate feature it has. <snip>
oddmyth wrote:Good stuff, you could also try<snip>

Both excellent posts. The thing about this technique is that there's loads of ways of doing it. I use convolution reverb, resample, process and then arrange into the tracks groove.
Yeah.. totally. I've done that too. Bouncy Bounce Bounce.

In reverse too.. always a good idea to tighten the env's on samples if they're busy with fx. Hats can be cunts like that.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

This guy made a video about it. He should get himself a blog or something... :lol:

youtu.be/vUHbo177OFk
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ah.. thats pure shite. I could have done a much better one :D

I didnt really do anything about the lowend aspect of it.

Was a case of trying to get other people to join in making vids at the time.. but alas, no one else did. Usual story.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Here is another. This guy manages to stay on topic. He doesn't get distracted by shitty Vengence sample packs that cause him untold amounts of distress before going to sleep at nite. :D

youtu.be/0e6R30xzrfA
Don't know if has a blog or not tho... :lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

makes MUCH shorter videos as well :D

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

ICN wrote:Ah.. thats pure shite. I could have done a much better one :D

I didnt really do anything about the lowend aspect of it.

Was a case of trying to get other people to join in making vids at the time.. but alas, no one else did. Usual story.

Ha, so that's your video? Now I know what voice to use in my head when I read your posts. We all do that, right?
... Right fellas?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'll do another vid where I say 'LOL' :mrgreen:

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Planar wrote:
Now I know what voice to use in my head when I read your posts. We all do that, right?
... Right fellas?
Please use Morgan Freeman's voice when reading mine. :mrgreen: