Vibrating sub bass?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
mikaelk
Interact. Don't Spam.
Vibrating sub bass?

Post by mikaelk »

Hi all! New member here...

I have problems getting bass sounds right, I love those deep, vibrating ones like this:

youtu.be/XDphPerqtf4

I realise that there probably is some LFO on it but just can't recreate it. Have asked a producer friend of mine (who's more into electronica) but he couldn't suggest more than the LFO part.

Any suggestions?

Zimmerpflanze
Exampleless
Re: Vibrating sub bass?

Post by Zimmerpflanze »

couldn't it be just a sidechained offbeat rumble?

it's similar to lfo but the pumping is easier to control
\Soundcrafted Electro/Techno/House/
| |
https://soundcloud.com/teelekom

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I only gave it a quick listen, but is it just 808 toms, on the 3 16 th's between the kicks. It may be a synth, but you can get a similar sound simply like that .
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Seek and ye shall find. :D

youtu.be/mqCuDkOnmjw

I don't hear any 808 toms in there myself. :?

He's got a Pro One tho... Fuck me, my Pro One doesn't sound like that. :cry: Maybe I just need to blow it up with a compressor and side chain it. :D
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

as I said.. 'similar'. Thats how that usual brainless chug typically occurs, innit? :mrgreen:
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

ICN wrote:as I said.. 'similar'. Thats how that usual brainless chug typically occurs, innit? :mrgreen:
I read this sentence the first time as "I said "similar." That's how that usual brainless chug typically operates, innit?" I thought "Fuck! He just called me a brainless chug... just cause I live in Canada is no reason to hurl racial insults at me. :lol: :lol: :lol: (chug is a derogatory term for a native indian Canadian)

But yeah this brainless chug didn't hear anything that sounded similar to 808 toms either. :mrgreen:

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Zimmerpflanze wrote:couldn't it be just a sidechained offbeat rumble?

it's similar to lfo but the pumping is easier to control
This, assuming you are just talking about the subbass rumble and not the midrange "bass" sounds used. I think its a typical sidechained rumble that plays every other offbeat.

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

In my neck of the woods "chugging" is a slang term for wanking ;)

mikaelk
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by mikaelk »

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the 808 toms on the 16th notes may be what I am looking for. I have heard this in a number of tracks now and really haven't been able to wrap my head around what differs from a regular clean sub. Someone suggested a LFO synced to 16th notes but I couldn't get it right. Here's another example which sounds' very LFO'y:

youtu.be/Rb_hgFFasKg

Zimmerpflanze
Exampleless

Post by Zimmerpflanze »

You can ran a kick thru a reverb (experiment with the settings) 100% wet and then play with the sample in a sampler instead of a plain 808 tom btw
I advice to make the reverb sound mono after sampling

what about other lfo settings working together with special note placements like offbeat pos. in first quarter and fourth pos in second quarter and that for the whole bar, spread in some other pos, where the bass sound sample is transposed but lowerd in volume per velocity

well it can be quite more simple what these guys are doing but this is just another idea for grooving basslines
\Soundcrafted Electro/Techno/House/
| |
https://soundcloud.com/teelekom

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

ICN wrote:I only gave it a quick listen, but is it just 808 toms, on the 3 16 th's between the kicks. It may be a synth, but you can get a similar sound simply like that .
I spent about a good 2 or 3 hours playing with this type of idea last nite. I had something up where I was trying to experiment with parallel compression on my kick drum before I started fucking around with this. That(parallel compression on the kick) affected how I had to trigger the side chain compressor on the the toms. I had to bring up the dry signal enough to engage the compressor. The whole thing sounded a bit odd because I have some weird phasing thing going on with the parallel compression where it seems like the hits of the split signal are sort of out of time with each other just slightly. I dunno....

I was using the 909 and not the 808 (on the shelf at the moment will have a go with that next)
I ran everything straight into the convertors thru an effects chain: Overdrive, Reverb, Compression, AutoFilter and then I put a spec analysis on the end just to see what was happening now and then. I also tried switching it around from running the efx chain as an insert to an aux send as well as swapping the order of the effects around. I tried playing with the settings on the toms too. Long decay & lowest tuning possible seemed to work best. I threw in a couple mid tom hits too to see what I could get out of those. Meh.

At times I was able to sort of get into the range of sound that these tracks have but I think I am still quite far away from nailing it down. The rumble aspect of it doesn't seem to be too hard to create. The verb and filter seem to work quite well to do this. I think its a matter of setting to taste seems to be a fine balance. You don't want too much rumble as it blows everything else out and not enough and you don't get the pumping action.

I spent a lot of time fucking with the compressor settings. I found that a long release time on it was a bit more effective than a short time. A short time on the comp seems to create a staccato machine-gun type sound where as with longer release time on the comp seemed to smear the hits together a little more. Not quite enough that the toms totally blend together though. I found a couple settings where it just totally fucks the sound up completely. :shock: The times when I thought I was sort of close I would try and push it further and would end up losing the closeness.

I definitely have to play with this some more. Like I said I think I was able to get into the range of sounds that are happening but still I feel its not that close. I feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle somehow. Maybe its using an actual hardware comp for this. ??? Or maybe there is something else I am missing... could be something quite subtle or very simple once I see it. Maybe mastering brings out a certain edge to this. I dunno....

I thought of recording a couple clips of what I was doing but what do I select? I am just running through setting for a couple hours?

I will add in the past I have done a filter down on the 808 toms running on a 7&15 hits. In my opinion the 909 toms work much better for this filter off bass hits idea. The 909 toms tend to be more meaty and thicker sounding than the 808. A bit more bassy too. Maybe I will have a go with the 808 tonite.

While I have said quite a lot here I may have actually told you nothing. :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

mikaelk wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I think the 808 toms on the 16th notes may be what I am looking for. I have heard this in a number of tracks now and really haven't been able to wrap my head around what differs from a regular clean sub. Someone suggested a LFO synced to 16th notes but I couldn't get it right. Here's another example which sounds' very LFO'y:

youtu.be/Rb_hgFFasKg

Well, I mastered that track, and I can assure you there is no LFO, it`s just a standard Techno sub rumble.

You can achieve this a number of ways.

Reverb on the kick drum on a send. EQ the reverb so it is just low frequencies, maybe give it a little subharmonics boost. Sidechain it a little to the kick so it doesn`t swamp the mix.

To get it slightly more rhythmic you could take literally any low register percussive sound, be it sample or synth (a squishy phat punchy sub synth sound) wack it on a 16th note pattern, EQ all the top end out, same as above basically but without the reverb. You want to take a little of the attack off so it isn`t too sharp transient wise.
Maybe sidechain it a little.
Maybe a little saturation.

It`s like riding your first bicycle, mastering this skill is techno basics.
There are probably a ton of tutorials online, and more than likely if you search this forum it has been covered a fair few times.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

breaktwister
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by breaktwister »

Lost to the Void wrote:
There are probably a ton of tutorials online, and more than likely if you search this forum it has been covered a fair few times.
I have watched hundreds of hours of tutorials, both paid and free for various dance genres, and don't find much at all about techno. I can make house, trance, even horrid big-room prog but not the techno music that I love. THE END tutorials on youtube seem to be good but they are in German so I have no idea why he's doing what he is doing or what he is looking for when I see him put effects like Oxford de-esser on his bass and sweep through the freq.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

breaktwister wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
I have watched hundreds of hours of tutorials, both paid and free for various dance genres, and don't find much at all about techno. I can make house, trance, even horrid big-room prog but not the techno music that I love. THE END tutorials on youtube seem to be good but they are in German so I have no idea why he's doing what he is doing or what he is looking for when I see him put effects like Oxford de-esser on his bass and sweep through the freq.
You can't have been looking that hard. There is a thread full of video tutorials at the top of this forum. The reverb bass technique is definitely in there. Read this forum, get involved and you'll learn over time.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

breaktwister wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
I really wish those were in English as well.

loopdon
beast

Post by loopdon »

Could anybody link these videos? I could translate certain stuff if that helps.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

loopdon wrote:Could anybody link these videos? I could translate certain stuff if that helps.
That certainly would help. This is the channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGYj1 ... oJnHW7UoZw

There's at least a couple hundred vids so you might be translating for a little while. :D

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:You can achieve this a number of ways.

Rhythmic tempo based impulse responses are fun to play with too, there's some that come with Logic for example.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

breaktwister
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by breaktwister »

Planar wrote:
You can't have been looking that hard. There is a thread full of video tutorials at the top of this forum. The reverb bass technique is definitely in there. Read this forum, get involved and you'll learn over time.
I maybe should have made myself clearer but I meant that I couldn't find many techno tutorials that actually give useable results, something that might be heard in current productions played by current DJs. I have seen many if not all of the video's in the other thread and quite frankly thought that the 'reverb bass technique' video (if its the one where the guy uses the logic reverb) was useless, it sounded like crap and not at all like the low end on any techno records I hear being played by the big boys.

For many other popular genres there are loads of good tutorial projects that can be found online where you have access to the individual tracks and can learn how the overall result was achieved, even multitrack or remix stems are useful for this type of learning; but I cannot find much for good quality techno.

I want stuff that sounds like this: what else is going on in the low-end or is it just one of the best kicks ever created providing all the lows?

youtu.be/Pt27iV4RLkM

This whole track is just awesome, especially the bass:

youtu.be/UWq2eYkP238

breaktwister
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by breaktwister »

I have to be fair and say that some of the vids in the other thread are good, I liked Arcs use of the reverse bass verb technique.