Sandwell District like industrials backgrounds

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Sandwell District like industrials backgrounds

Post by Lost to the Void »

oddmyth wrote:
p_ache wrote: On a side note : as far as I love Sandwell District (discovered it 2 months ago), I was at first a bit put off because this sound has really been done and redone a lot.
I don't think so. But if you have some examples of things that sound similar to SD I'd love to know.
Go check out old Mika Vainio for a start which is where the Sandwell sound takes it`s heavy influence from.
Sandwell was essentially Sähkö and Raster Noton sanitised for the minimal techno crowd, combined with a little bit of post punk methodology.

I always thought it was Karls weakest (and most commercial sounding) project musically and artistically, and in terms of originality, although as usual the execution was genius. I'm glad he walked away from it when he did (which you could guarantee was going to happen at some point anyway)
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Lost to the Void wrote:Go check out old Mika Vainio for a start which is where the Sandwell sound takes it`s heavy influence from.
Sandwell was essentially Sähkö and Raster Noton sanitised for the minimal techno crowd, combined with a little bit of post punk methodology.
Don't forget Sleeparchive in the list of Mika Vainio tribute acts.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well yes, early Sleeparchive is also a definite Sandwell influencer too, and in turn influenced by Vainio.
Vainio is a genius.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yep, basically it works to put a slick clicky 808 kick on any Vainio and you get instant Sandwell.
For safety use a fierce hihat pattern as well.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

I like that comparison, Sahko was an very influential label for me. I'm quite familiar with Vainio and his aliases.

However that's not exactly a mainstream sound in any light, even with all the minimal fanfare in the last decade.

Do you think Karl had a lot to do with SD? Honestly it sounds more like Sumner/Function than Karl, very few SD records sound like they had anything to do with Karl actually producing anything. There's a few moments on Feed Forward, but that's about the extent of it.

youtu.be/3f0oUfqRWjQ

I find Sleeparchive boring as fuck. Even Vainio's most reduced music sounds more exciting to me.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Oh I don't know.. I thought the Regis rmx of the VCMG (?) Track was very dubby & spacy, just like SD. That's if its the same one I'm thinking of. Can't search or link atm
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Karl didnt do much of the music for SD, to much gayness for him, but he is/was like the malcom mclaren of it.
I dont think it wouod have worked if it werent for karls mythlogy, as the music was kinda average, for me anyway, i found it too coffee table art. Espresso techno.
New Shit